Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

There was another article today on 411 saying

It's 2015, why are you reading a site that buries the credit for the source of a news item at the very end where most people will miss it while going out of its way not to mention the source in the text?

Not defending 411's tactics, but why would the average person reading from a website care about credit for the contents? I understand why its a big deal to those involved. But the masses simply want their content.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sites like 411 are popular because #1 it's free. And #2 you only have to check one place instead of checking 2 or 3. Most people don't care where the news is from but that also leads to problems like people acting like every story is equally "true."

Why wouldn't I get the news at 411? It's reliable, true, sourced, free, and easy to access.

What an odd thing to care about.

I'd imagine part of it is the fact that Bix writes for one of the sources that 411 (and pretty much every other "newz" site) gets their stories from.

Sorry to Bix if that isn't the reason and I misrepresented you.

The financial woes news continues...

The Sporting News had a report which stated that many of the production staff in TNA were behind on pay. Now, The Wrestling Observer has confirmed that story and added more to it. As of this past weekend, TNA production crew members are over two monts behind on their pay. Some have not been paid for the PPV tapings in February or any events since then.

Workers also received pay in April for work done in January, which is 70 days late from the 30 day period in which they’re supposed to be paid. When the checks are finally sent out, they’re said to be short an average of $1,000 per person. Meanwhile, TNA wrestlers were told they were going to be paid for the March tapings and the crew still haven’t been paid for February.

One worker said that this is the third year in a row where they have had to deal with late payments, although being short on money is a new problem.

70 days late gets into "WTF" territory. If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are out of business soon. When you're that far behind on paying people you're in Heyman territory.

It was announced today that Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins fame has joined TNA as a Senior Creative Team Producer or whatever.

Does anyone know how his Chicago-based fed was? Good? Bad? At all successful?

I get that Corgan is a fan and I personally don't care what happens in TNA because I don't watch it, but when I read news like this, its hard not to chuckle a little and think of the question posed as the subject of this thread.

It reminds me of that lyric from the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness song "Zero":

"Emptiness is loneliness and loneliness is cleanliness and cleanliness is godliness and god is empty just like the ring in a Reverse Battle Royal match for the X-Division Championship."

In an interview with Variety, Corgan said he hoped to move away from the generic, age-old good guys vs. bad guys plot lines and mine some new ground in terms of professional wrestling storytelling, including characters who explore race and transgender issues.

The money problems must be overstated, because they appear prepared to burn some more of it. Unless their new marketing strategy is to make television so remarkably bad that it becomes a cult hit.

I just re -watched the first two weekly TNA PPV from 2002. I did watch the PPV live with high hopes. The only thing that kept this from being the worst wrestling show in history is the X- Division match with Psicosis , AJ Styles , Low Ki and Jerry Lynn . I cannot believe that Jerry Jarrett booked this train wreck . Vince Russo must have booked the show , he the only one that could put together a piece of crap like this PPV. I mean Richard and Rod Johnson , that had to be Russo.

The most amazing thing was that the show was so bad , yet the cards were not totally devoid of talent. . Ken Shamrock , Scott Hall , Wolfie D , Devon Storm , Steve Corino , Ron Killings , Konnan , James Storm , Chris Harris , Jimmy Yang , Apollo and the X -Division guys were just some of the talent booked by TNA. You would think that the Jarretts would have put put a respectable show with that crew. Jerry must stepped aside and let Jeff sink or swim on his own merits.

My friend Sean had a Producers theory about TNA, but that was a decade ago. It's far surpassed being so bad it becomes a cult hit.

I've come to the conclusion that TNA is the Carter's way to keep Dixie busy so she doesn't get ideas of actually running Panda Energy into the ground. When you have an energy company worth billions, losing 20 or 30 million a year is worth it, to keep your ditzy daughter away.

I thought that Janice Carter had close the Panda checkbook to TNA. It is clear that to TNA is suffering from major cash flow problems. The one source of income TNA has is TV rights , which have been reduced when Spike dumped the company. . There are no house shows or PPV's. I am sure that the gimmick sales are almost nothing at this point of the game.The TV tapings are a cost for TNA, they do not generate any income running in a theme park.

One would think to Panda is not cutting checks to contractors until TNA collects enough money to cover their expenses. That is why everyone is leaving the company, the Carters shut down the gravy train. The Carters were fools not to sell the company to Viacom or the Toby Keith group. It appears that TNA has been reduced to nothing more than a vehicle to provide Divie Carter and her husband a monthly salary .

My friend Sean had a Producers theory about TNA, but that was a decade ago. It's far surpassed being so bad it becomes a cult hit.

I've come to the conclusion that TNA is the Carter's way to keep Dixie busy so she doesn't get ideas of actually running Panda Energy into the ground. When you have an energy company worth billions, losing 20 or 30 million a year is worth it, to keep your ditzy daughter away.

I'd be surprised if TNA is losing that much money now (although their worst year is probably in that range), given that they've cut everything back to the bone.

Very down on Billy Corgan and his Wrestling IQ. Court Baurer called him knowledge enough to be dangerous and I believe that's succinct enough way to describe him.

To me hasn't graduated beyond a casual fan's understanding of the business. I don't think Billy could tell you the how and why angles worked. I will give him he has handled his music catalogue really well but I don't see the same savyness when it comes to Wrestling. He wants to relive his first relive his first real exposure to Wrestling (ECW) and realises legitimate Women's Wrestling matches have potential growth drawing power wise. That's his two MOs/ideas basically.

I know people who don't even like the term call Billy a money mark.

Also in the music industry his ego, control issues and people skills are legendary. I would imagine he would be a pain in the ass to be a partner with. I await hearing Billy Corgan deleting all the guitar tracks on Serge's TNA entrance themes and that re-recorded them himself.

Lou is in Billy's inner circle so that's some non-journalist confirmation of interest:

2nuhi6a.jpg

He was ECW's Sign Guy Dudley and Lou E Dangerously.

O

I think if there is one thing that has become clear over the years, it's that we should never underestimate the stupidity of Dixie Carter. I think pretty much anybody can distract her with shiny objects and convince her that they are the one who knows exactly how to make TNA succeed. First it was Russo, then it was Hogan/Bischoff, then it was Pritchard and now it's going to be Corgan.

• 3 weeks later...

That is what was reported in the latest Observer. So I would imagine it's the plan as of right now unless somehow TNA manages to convince Destination America not to drop them. But it would definitely seem like the end of the line if DA drops them because I mean where do you go after such a small time network like Destination America drops you?

Well now I guess we know why Bobby Roode was backstage at ROH last weekend. I guess Roode , Eddie Edwards and Austin Aries could get spots in ROH . I know Aries had heat with ROH , but he is a money draw. Maybe Matt Hardy .

Richards and King will never get booked by anyone but Jarrett. Richards burned every bridge he ever crossed. I guess the rest of them will be picked up by Jarrett , go to the indies or leave the businesss. Should be an interesting process to watch . Damn glad I am not living it . Hate to see anyone lose their job .

The most likely buyer is Vince for the tape library. Without a television deal in place, TNA is relatively worthless to anybody else, particularly if Dixie Carter has to keep an executive job as part of the deal.