Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

Yeah, 05 & 06 were the exceptions to the rule of TNA being the worst company to ever exist. Back then the company was like 50% ROH lite, 15% Abyss Hardcore matches, 25% Jeff Jarrett main events vs a revolving cast of Ex WCW/WWF/ECW guys like Raven, Christian, Rhino, DDP, etc... and the rest being misc other dudes like 3 Live Kru, Monty Brown & Lance Hoyt.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend to look at TNA this way. 2002-2003 was about finding the right pieces for the roster and finding their voice as a promotion. 2004 was about shifting to a tv model. 2005-2006 is where the company found it's voice and was headed in the right direction and had their shit together. Then somewhere in 2006 someone freaked out and brought Russo back. The company fell apart quickly after that.

I have all of the 2006 television leading up to Russo's return. It was a quality run of television. There was bad stuff but there's always going to be that. But they really found a voice for the company and they were different from the WWE at the time.

And one thing about 2005, that was unfortunately the year they blew it with Monty Brown.

What really makes the case for TNA being the worst wrestling promotion of all time is that other companies that went through two years of awful booking either died or were clearly on life support and the plug was pulled shortly thereafter.

With TNA, given that the 2005-2006 run, up to the point when Russo returned, was considered to be good television, we now have TNA going on five-and-a-half years of awful booking and the company is still in existence.

Regardless of the reasons why it still exists, I think we have our worst wrestling promotion ever. Five-and-a-half years of horrible booking with everything they tried, failing miserably, certainly seems to cements its case.

Honestly, even calling '05-'06 Impact "good television" feels like overstating it's case. "Better television" than what would follow, certainly. It wasn't a totally unwatchable show, and there were enough good things going on that you could justify being a regular viewer. Still, I'd have a hard time calling it better than current Raw, and current Raw is not all that great.

So when you spend five-and-a-half years making a show so bad that it makes a period where it was slightly worse than current Raw look like a golden age by comparison...yeah, worst wrestling promotion in history.

I love how the TNA offshoot in India is already better than TNA in every conceivable way

What's so good about Ring Ka King? I haven't watched it.

Yea Dylan give us a nice breakdown of Ring Ka King if you've been watching it. The roster seems pretty interesting and the production values looked good from the little bits I've seen on youtube.

I haven't watched a full episode, but I've seen a couple of segments and it really benefits from a crazy atmosphere with hundreds of Indians jumbled into this relatively small sound stage, stampeding in terror or glee depending on what wrestler is approaching the guardrail, all the while the announcers are busting out with the occasional "I Love this!" in English. Masters, Steiner and Chavo/Smith tag team all get treated seriously and do a good job with the time they are given. The gimmicks are all over the place but are all fairly entertaining. It is just a far more watchable product.

Guess this is as good a place as any to post this...

Just curious, for those who watch TNA out there (*crickets*) does Garrett Bischoff have anything at all going for him, or is this another Erik Watts type situation?

Literally nothing. He's greener than goose shit and a huge damper on the overall product (which has been a little better the last couple of weeks). It even goes so far as Garrett Bischoff eating up main event time, at the end of the show, over free TV title matches. It's ridiculous. He can't talk, can't work, has a terrible look with bad tattoos, doesn't have any heat...it's awful.

The fact that they are so blatantly making it clear with the way they have Eric right there on screen with him that he's on TV because of his daddy... I mean, they have to know that's going to create an automatic backlash even if he was actually good, right? It is a recipe for failure. Fans tend to hate that kind of thing in every form of entertainment.

Just curious, for those who watch TNA out there (*crickets*) does Garrett Bischoff have anything at all going for him, or is this another Erik Watts type situation?

I was going to write something asking when Nick Hogan will join TNA, but then I realized I don't actually watch TNA so I've never seen Garrett Bischoff.

I looked him up and saw he has his family name tattooed on his chest in a fashion that looks like a Jiffy Lube attendant's uniform. I also started laughing because my immediate thought was that it looks exactly like the logo for a local business, Bischoff's Medical Supplies. :lol:

Reminds me of Bischoff trying to bury Eric on a 99 Nitro and knowing Eric had kids he was going to force on people.

Eric Watts at least had a credible background as an athlete and you can honestly believe Watts would of given a guy like him a shot in Mid South. Maybe not a monster push, but he would of probably gotten a shot.

If Garrett went to OVW for a few years he'd probably be at least decent, but he didn't so there you go. Not only is he going to get the kneejerk negative reaction from fans that comes with blatant nepotism, they put him out there at an ability level they never would if his name was Garrett Smith.

Also I did a GIS for what art mentioned and lol'd:

Posted Image

Posted Image

He was okay in the Bound for Glory angle. He really needed to go away after that.

I hate to admit this but I have a soft spot for Erik Watts. He's not a good wrestler but I always got a kick out of him. Same with David Flair, I thought his psycho persona and tag team with Crowbar was a little underrated at the time.

If Garrett went to OVW for a few years he'd probably be at least decent, but he didn't so there you go. Not only is he going to get the kneejerk negative reaction from fans that comes with blatant nepotism, they put him out there at an ability level they never would if his name was Garrett Smith.

Also I did a GIS for what art mentioned and lol'd:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Holy Christ, I can't believe you actually found that! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

THIS ISNT A BRUCE MITCHELL PARODY:

The following announcement was issued today by Bill Behrens ([email protected], who is handling bookings for Russo:

BABY FACES, BLADE JOBS and BOOKING

Everything you wanted to know about writing a professional wrestling show but were afraid to ask.

A SEMINAR HOSTED BY VINCE RUSSO

During the years of 1995-2012, Vince Russo was one of the most controversial figures in the history of sports entertainment/professional wrestling, while serving as the head writer of all three major wrestling companies, WWE, WCW and TNA.

During that tenure, Russo wrote over a thousand televised wrestling shows--which achieved some of the highest ratings of all time-- while also having a hand in helping create some of the biggest stars in the history of the business. From Stone Cold Steve Austin to “The Rock”, Russo has written for just about anybody who’s anybody in the world of sports entertainment/pro wrestling.

Whether it was in front of the camera, or behind the scenes, Russo has played an influential part in helping to bring the drama of the squared circle to the forefront of American pop culture.

Now, in this limited engagement and for the first time ever, Russo is going to bring the “behind the curtain” aspect of his job, into the spotlight, by sharing his craft and experience with wrestling fans around the world. In his ground-breaking seminar entitled, “Baby Faces, Blade Jobs, and Booking, “, Russo is going to share first hand, what it takes to be a successful writer in the world of sports entertainment/professional wrestling.

Just some of the topics Russo will be covering in this no-holds-barred presentation:

· Where to get your start in writing for a professional wrestling organization.

· How to use the experience you’ve built to get in the door of one of the major companies

· How to create larger-than-life personas and personalities

· Writing effective dialogue for specific characters

· How to format a wrestling show

· How to generate new ideas 52-weeks out of the year

· How to present and sell your idea to a talent

· How to create a successful working environment between talent and writer

· Dealing with egos

· Overcoming writer’s block

· Avoiding the pitfalls of politics

· How to generate ratings

· The difference between “writing” a show and “booking” a show

Baby Faces, Blade Jobs and Booking; nothing will no longer be sacred!!

What balls

It would actually be kinda interesting to hear Russo's specific philosophy on some of this stuff, IF he could resist the temptation to turn it into yet another rant about how brilliant he is and how all his critics are big ol' meanies. But some of these are just laughable.

· Where to get your start in writing for a professional wrestling organization.

Aside from "co-host a local radio show which bashes the WWE so badly that Vince eventually bribes you into betraying your partner and turning it into a sock puppet for the company", what exactly does Vinnie Roo have to offer here?

· How to use the experience you’ve built to get in the door of one of the major companies

Well, if he's a legit genius on anything, it's this part.

· How to generate ratings

I'm amazed he has the balls to claim this, considering that his writing has been a mathematically proven anti-draw for most of his career.

Baby Faces, Blade Jobs and Booking; nothing will no longer be sacred!!

Nothing says "pay this brilliant writer to teach you how to write!" like a glaring grammatical error in their tagline.

"Is he any good as a writer" has almost nothing to do with "would a shoot interview with him be worthwhile".

The fact that he is a complete idiot in denial has a lot to do why the Youshoot interview will be worthless too. Of course, the seminar is akin to Flair's financial placement counseling company.

If you could strap Russo into a chair and waterboard him until he was forced to tell the truth, you'd probably come away with some really interesting stuff. But in typical interviews, he's far too invested in trying to build up the legend of his own brilliance. He's up there with Nash and Hogan in terms of rewriting history in his own head to make himself look better. YouShoot will ask him harder questions than other interviewers would, but it still won't improve his answers.