All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is very much a bad fuck up for him to tweet that even if you agree with what he said. Not to mention a lot of black indy wrestlers on twitter are not happy to see Tony tweeting like that. Swole was hardly the only person to point out AEW's diversity issues and for the boss to just dismiss them with a "well you suck" is terribly unprofessional. 

Tony is incredibly thin skinned and has a history of attacking people when he feels insulted. See his interactions with Fulham fans over the years for example. He really didn't need to even say anything or could've put out a generic PR line. Nobody is going to look good coming out of this now.

Yeah he pretty much did the same thing to Fulham fans who were mad that they didnt feel enough effort was put in to signing players last year, so he did a similarly pissy tweet about all the players they were talking with but didn't land a deal, which wasn't the solid comeback he thought it was.

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Not at all

Unless he's about to become TV character "Evil Mr. Khan" , owner who thinks his experience as a brown person who's also a billionaire and thinks people of color winning fake pro wrestling matches, is comparable to the struggle, he fucked up.

I'm fantasy booking that he was partying with Jericho when he decided to make a total asshole out of himself. Billionaires are all awful people. Even if they make a great Pro Wrestling show.

The bit of her post which is not been focused on, is the effect of the crew sitting out in catering/home and not being featured because the new signees have been pushed to the top of the card. That is probably hurting moral in the back, even if Tony would be crazy not to push the new people he has signed.

The diversity issue is at this time is a stupid argument, as Tony is investing in his diversity, but no one is ready for a top spot this year.  If Keith Lee is signed then yes he can be pushed as a top guy, but his age and injuries may be a reason why he was let go and who knows how good he is in the ring at this point? His cardio was hurting in his last run, so we have to see if it was ring rust or a side effect of covid. 

As for Tony replying, may not be a good corporate look but at the same time it was a truthful response and I do like it when people don't crow down to this new culture where we have to spare everyone feelings and say what's the PC response.  

As a white guy I get I might be missing a peace of the puzzle, maybe Swole and Lio Rush view is that they should have been/ be pushed to the top of the card and because they black, they been held back and not getting the same opportunity as others in the company, I don't know.  Lio Rush has an upside and might be huge in 6 months, but he's not main event level at the moment and he's been featured and he is getting over with the fans. But he's only just signed and he shouldn't be pushed at this moment like punk, Bryan or even Darby. 

But I think this just because I'm black, I'm being held back or not getting my fair push doesn't work for an argument in AEW, WWE yes you can/could make that case. So I get why that would piss Tony Khan off, when from the outside it look's like he's building for the future by investing in young talent from different cultures. 

I mean, let's be real : Tony's tweet is a bad look. Should not have done it.

However, Swole is kinda full of shit. When she talks about her daughter looking at Sasha Banks and Bianca BeLair on WWE TV, yeah, it's cute and all (always bring up children because it plays on emotion, which doesn't mean shit but always works in rallying people). Except, well, there is no Sasha Banks or Bianca BeLair on AEW's roster. So, what is she trying to say ? That *she* should have been pushed at that level ? Again, if Sasha Banks had jumped to AEW, does anyone doubt she would be the top female star in a blink of an eye ?

In its short time on the air (less than three years), AEW has had asian champs, black champs, trans champ, latino champs. Considering the landscape in which they started in, with tons of great talent *already signed* elsewhere, it's not that bad, really. Do we really want to talk about the WWE, the fact they were always behind on time and the big picture to boot (*cough* actively working to re-elect Donald Trump *cough*) ?

This is me looking from the outside in here, so please clue me up. 

Has TK spent the past few years building non-white talent in the same way they have built (and concealed downsides for) guys like Jungle Boy and Darby? What about the women, we have Baker, who else got that treatment? 

It's easy to say that the talent isn't there when you're not trying to craft that talent. 

13 minutes ago, Rah said:

It's easy to say that the talent isn't there when you're not trying to craft that talent. 

Take the roster of AEW two years ago. Who should have been "crafted" that had the same star potential and in-ring ability as Darby or Jungle Boy (or MJF) ? It's not like Jungle Boy did not play utilities forever before getting the serious push since last Spring either.

13 minutes ago, Rah said:

What about the women, we have Baker, who else got that treatment? 

Jade Cargill is receiving the biggest push compared to experience level in the history of the company thus far.

And really, like it's been said, out of 4 woman champ thus far, you got 2 Japanese and 1 black native & trans. So, trying to argue there's not enough diversity on that front from Swole is pretty disingenuous.

9 hours ago, strobogo said:

The quality of her in ring ability has nothing to do with her comments and feelings about representation in the company. TK making a shitpost about her personally because he's mad someone had an issue with not even him but that there aren't people in the company in upper levels that look and sound like her is wildly unprofessional and unbecoming for the guy running the whole company.

My thoughts precisely. 

Also, I think Nyla at this point must be tired of always being named as the trump card every time this conversation happens. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Take the roster of AEW two years ago. Who should have been "crafted" that had the same star potential and in-ring ability as Darby or Jungle Boy (or MJF) ? It's not like Jungle Boy did not play utilities forever before getting the serious push since last Spring either.

Ricky Starks should be pushed a lot more than he is. Britt when she was injured was constantly on TV and that helped her get over. Starks shouldn't just be doing commentary. 

If Tony was smart he would just do what Vince does and get you somebody that will say those mean things for you. So nobody knows your true opinion. How many talent have been let go from WWE but go. Vince was great but it was “insert name here” that was an ass and cost me my job. 

TK will learn as time goes on hopefully. People call him thin skinned but I mean it’s not easy being on the spotlight 24/7 and having everything you ever say or do be on a magnifying glass. Where someone somewhere will either retweet or make a podcast about what you said or worse they take those words and take it in a whole other direction. So people can call him thin skinned but the problem is he just like all of us is human. Nobody likes criticism on something you are passionate about. That’s just facts.

Look at Vince when Bob Costas called him out on stuff and mentioned the XFL. Vince almost beat him up on live tv and all it did was make him look bad and did the company no favors. It didn’t hurt Bob Costas any. So that’s what happen here of course people will take sides between TK/Swole but honestly it’s just getting blown out of proportion at this point.

Also Twitter is the vocal minority on things. Cause if we went by Twitter then Tay/Sammy relationship would be up there with HHH/Steph heat. So always take Twitter opinions with a grain of salt is my way of life on social media. 

12 minutes ago, MoS said:

Ricky Starks should be pushed a lot more than he is. Britt when she was injured was constantly on TV and that helped her get over. Starks shouldn't just be doing commentary. 

He hasn't been just doing commentary. Last time I checked, he was a key part of a key match on TV, costing Dante Martin the Diamond Ring in the final match against MJF. I do love Starks and having him on commentary every week is a pleasure, so I don't want him to stop doing that either. Is he still injured ? (edit : apparently he has deleted his Twitter account, so he doesn't want none of that bullshit)

One worker I'd like to see more on TV is Red Velvet. Also, I thought they signed Kiera Hogan but maybe I was mistaken, although she did show up back on Dark after being on NWA TV, and this time to win a match, so maybe she'll end up on the actual roster. I miss Kiera !

They definitely should bring in Ember Moon.

And the men side of things, Keith Lee, if he's healthy, is a no-brainer, so is Shane Strickland. Jonathan Gresham is working the next IMPACT PPV, so maybe he's not going in that direction.

10 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

Also Twitter is the vocal minority on things. Cause if we went by Twitter then Tay/Sammy relationship would be up there with HHH/Steph heat. 

Well, learning something everyday. This is why you should never make those big private life celebration public. Didn't he ask his former girlfriend just a few months ago during a show ? :lol: Private life should still be a thing....

But yes, Twitter is not real life.

11 hours ago, strobogo said:

The quality of her in ring ability has nothing to do with her comments and feelings about representation in the company. TK making a shitpost about her personally because he's mad someone had an issue with not even him but that there aren't people in the company in upper levels that look and sound like her is wildly unprofessional and unbecoming for the guy running the whole company.

This is exactly it.

The company was started with people in power who are also active wrestlers. If they book their friends they piss off workers outside their bubble. Outside the bubble they destroy friendships. How much does Tony get involved? These are all rhetorical questions, the point is you can only push so many people and there are bound to be hurt feelings. It’s a minefield that I’m not sure Tony is prepared to navigate.

Also if this is a ploy to make Tony an evil boss, that’s also a bad idea. The evil authority figure is beyond played out and it would only create more bad feelings to give that spot to Tony rather than an experienced worker.

Dark are mostly JTTS shows, it's not supposed to be about great matches, plenty of those on the TV shows already. And they do have some micro-feuds built exclusively for the shows, like the Janela vs Sonny Kiss saga. There are plenty of good and fun matches on there last time I checked. And really now, the quality was always up anytime Big Swole wasn't on the show with her crappy work which peaked with like a ** match against Diamanté.

Expect Meltzer etc to say that Tony attempted to do the decent thing and let her walk away with dignity by letting her state publicly it was her decision. But she betrayed that courtesy in his eyes which is why he tweeted out what he did.

He vented to other people before he tweeted about how much he was let down and how he went out of his way to protect her. It wasn't a "coke" or trigger temper thing by all accounts. He's just extremely thin-skinned when it comes to criticism and couldn't let it go.

The actual truth is dissatisfaction with Swole's work and attitude internally was pretty widespread and that is why she was let go. But fans online will think that is a "WWE spreading rumours about Keith Lee" type thing. A lot of Swole fans think she's a good to great in-ring worker so there's no reasoning with them. Tweeting about it was the dumbest decision as Swole's interview would have been forgotten after the NYE fireworks and the weekend. Now he has to field some very difficult criticisms the week of the TBS move. 

Not only the move to TBS, but the final of the TBS tournament. Now expect this :

Ruby Soho wins : idiots online are gonna make it a racial thing and say it's the proof AEW is not doing the "right thing".

Jade Cargill wins : idiots online are gonna make it a racial thing and say it's the only reason why Jade is pushed.

So yeah, more stupidity incoming.

(as I've said before, I want Jade to win, for strictly selfish pro-wrestling reasons stated before)