Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

Tony "The Sleeping Pill" Nese belongs on Dark or at the Nightmare Factory training wrestlers, not in a major match against Bryan Danielson on AEW's top TV show - even if Bryan personally got on his hands and knees and begged Tony Khan to book him against Nese.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Why would Danielson be at WK 17 anyway? He doesn't have a program with anyone, and I thought the mantra around here (one of them) was "good matches for the sake of good matches in a vacuum suck", or sentiments to that effect.

All parties have had plenty of time to come up with something. At least one of the parties was uninterested. I take it the "he missed WK for a Tony Nese match" was tongue-in-cheek? I think he missed the show for reasons unknown, and he's doing this instead of, seeing as how he has no other bookings that day.

He was supposed to face Zack Sabre Jr at Forbidden Door before shit happened, so the assumption was they were going to run that back. 

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

He was supposed to face Zack Sabre Jr at Forbidden Door before shit happened, so the assumption was they were going to run that back

But that assumption would have been quashed a couple of months ago when Ren Narita got tied to Zach, which is what I'm not getting. We hadn't heard any official whispers about DB at WK (had we?) just the rhubarb of social media.

Chicken and egg: does Danielson want to give Seattle a certain type of match, and feels Nese is best suited to partner him? Or does Bryan want to give Seattle Tony Nese, and he'll work out a match from there? (Regardless of Bryan having wanted to work with Nese for a while, as that doesn't invalidate either scenario?)

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

No one should have thought Bryan was going to be at WK if there was no video sent in by the end of any of the November shows. If you're mad about Bryan being "kept" from WK when it is clear he was never booked in any way for it, I dunno what to tell you.

No, but they would have been curious what they were getting instead. So they waited all that time to be presented with a Nese/Danielson match.

I don't know why, tacitly or otherwise, people are shitting on Tony Nese. There's nothing he can't do well, except please PWO. There's no way the match will be a disappointment, unless you go in wanting it to be one. Self-fulfilling prophecies 'n all that.

13 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

No, but they would have been curious what they were getting instead. So they waited all that time to be presented with a Nese/Danielson match.

Viewing it as a cause and effect that they didn't get their Bryan WK dream match that was never announced, teased, or hinted at in any way whatsoever by either company or any talent, because TK just had to book Bryan vs Nese for Seattle is silly to begin with.

First "aw damn" moment was early September when it was announced AEW was booking a 1/4 show in Seattle. Which it meant there was no way Danielson could work WK. No one that knew that the show was his hometown ever thought he was working New Japan on that date, that's not the issue.

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised about people being disappointed that his match would be another "Danielson vs solid worker" TV match when TK books big matches for his biggest stars when they wrestle in their hometown. This being the first time they are doing Seattle is even more bleh.

Basically, TK first took the date out of the equation by booking Seattle and then gave us an uninspiring match for the occasion. If you think a Tony Nese match is something to get excited about, more power to you.

I agree. Considering that the main reason Bryan went to AEW is to be able to wrestle in Japan, it was already a disappointment that they scheduled the show in Seattle on the same day as WK.

But that's not the most important thing right now. The thing is, it's AEW's first show in Seattle and Bryan's first time going to his hometown in over 3 years, and his match is against Tony Nese, a guy who hasn't win a match on TV. It would be a great match for Rampage or even another Dynamite, but it's disappointing for this one. It's a match we could have seen in 2019 on SmackDown, and that's not what AEW is supposed to be.

I'm sure it will be a good match but it's disappointing, and right now it must be like the third most important match on the show (Jericho vs. Starks and Darby vs. Joe are definitely more important). It is one more episode of how wasted Bryan has been used as a top star in AEW.

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

I dunno. We'd all pay money to see Bryan Danielson wrestle...a bucket, if he was in our neighbourhood. But not Tony Nese, apparently.

I think there’s just a lot of overall frustration with Danielson and with TK’s presentation of Danielson. Him against MJF is a chance to rehab him after getting marooned on Blackpool Island in the Sea of Jericho for so long, yet here he is in the middle of that, in his hometown that he was kept out of Japan’s biggest event of the year to appear in, wrestling a preliminary guy he has no real heat with and who has a minimal fan following.

26 minutes ago, Badlittlekitten said:

I don't think I've been this disinterested in Bryan during his entire career. I get that he's low ambition, but christ, you'd think TK would want to make some money with him.

Yeah that’s really my thing, BD is the best wrestler in the world and I’m less invested in him than when his storyline was that the Bella twins were idiots and thought vegan and virgin were the same thing. And he was the best he’s ever been just a year ago!

4 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I don't know why, tacitly or otherwise, people are shitting on Tony Nese. There's nothing he can't do well

Except be a compelling on-screen character anybody give a shit about seeing every week. But yeah, sure, he does everything else well - just not the one thing that actually matters. ;)

"You get what you're given. If you're hungry, you'll eat" - mothers since Eve.

"Pulling faces won't make it taste better" - Mother Dav'oh.

We're lucky to have Bryan at all. People want him to be a Triple Whopper Royale Super Deluxe, he just wants to be oatmeal. 

"How do you know you don't like it if you haven't tasted it yet?" - mothers since Eve, again.

Look at what AEW's other Seattle wrestlers are doing on the show. Darby is facing Joe in a title match that's been built up over the past month. And Swerve is facing AR Fox, who he has history with going back to Lucha Underground. There's no reason the biggest star from the area by far has to be in a match with no build against a guy no one cares about. The only way I can rationalize it is if the plan is for MJF to get heat on Danielson to further their program and they don't want to confuse the issue.

19 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

We're lucky to have Bryan at all.

Yeah, sometimes I forget that he was retired due to his neck & most of us thought he was done done. Same with Edge. I didn't love a lot of stuff from his post comeback but man, did I ever pop for his Rumble return. Bryan was already an all-timer before he came back so I guess everything else he gives us is just bonus, really.

I do still think AEW could use him better & get more out of his name & stature though - that would help the company, even if Bryan is wanting to be selfless. 

Is it really that difficult to believe that folks are underwhelmed at Bryan vs Nese? He's the prototypical Good Hand, he'll give you a good match but he's got zero connection with the fans. 

Maybe hoping Bryan would be on WK was a pipe dream, but folks were sure as hell expecting something better for his Seattle debut than Mr. 205 Live Abs Guy.