goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

I assume Juice getting signed has more to do with making sure Toni is happy than him adding any value to the company.

Or Juice didn't want to go back to the company now run by a guy who saw him as nothing more than a jobber with a terrible environmental gimmick.

At this point AEW and New Japan should just do like soccer teams and loan out guys they aren't using and/or getting stale to each other.  Plus I think Juice isn't without any upside, he was perfectly acceptable as a mid to upper card tag team guy before the attempt to make him into Generic Bullet Club Heel #532 for some unknown reason.  

Also while watching Sunday Night Football, they showed an ad for the Premier League (NBC has the TV rights here in MURICA).  Made me think that would be a great opportunity for someone who owned a team in each league that maybe has another business they run that could benefit from being advertised on NFL and EPL games. 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, sek69 said:

At this point AEW and New Japan should just do like soccer teams and loan out guys they aren't using and/or getting stale to each other.  Plus I think Juice isn't without any upside, he was perfectly acceptable as a mid to upper card tag team guy before the attempt to make him into Generic Bullet Club Heel #532 for some unknown reason.  

Also while watching Sunday Night Football, they showed an ad for the Premier League (NBC has the TV rights here in MURICA).  Made me think that would be a great opportunity for someone who owned a team in each league that maybe has another business they run that could benefit from being advertised on NFL and EPL games. 

Great I'm going to see AEW as Fulham's shirt sponsor.  Actually considering it's some rando betting company, AEW would be an awesome shirt sponsor.

AEW's video game, Fight Forever, will be added to GamePass on release day.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-aew-fight-forever-will-release-day-one-xbox-game-pass

Cool for Xbox fans, I guess, but really shitty for everyone else.

I personally hope this badly backfires on AEW Games/THQ and completely tanks sales on PlayStation and Switch.

The GamePass model does more harm than good for the industry.

I personally no longer buy games that go GamePass immediately while players on other systems are treated like second class citizens. 

Why would I pay $60 on my chosen system when people on another system are getting it for "free" with their lower-priced subscription? You guessed it: I wouldn't and won't.

Instead, out of principle, I just wait for bottom of the barrel pricing or for it to eventually land on the other subscription services.

28 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Hasn’t just about dev who has released games onto Game Pass said that it’s absolutely worth their time from a monetary and exposure POV?

Yep, it's been a big boon for a lot of smaller and/or indy games. Microsoft pays good money for it.  Also they aren't available free forever unless it's a game made by MS or a company they own like Bethesda. 

I like it since I preordered it on PS5 to have a physical copy (I have the digital only Xbox Series S) so now I can play it on both systems.

33 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Microsoft pays good money for it. 

This is the part that completely fucking repulses me.

A massive conglomerate pays to put games on their shitty service, getting people used to a model where they never have to pay for anything, harming the industry immeasurably in the long run.

Is it great for Xbox users? In the short term, sure it is. If I had an Xbox, I'd subscribe to GamePass and never, ever buy anything.

That's not a healthy and sustainable model.

But it has been. GamePass has been a huge money maker for Microsoft and has been a boon to a lot of midrange and smaller devs. Again, the only games that stay free on it forever are ones made by MS or their owned subsidiaries (so it they are still getting the money either way).  

It gives people the chance to play games they might not have risked the purchase on, and there's a whole other half of GamePass for PC games so people on that platform don't really lose out either. The only one it kinda sucks for is Sony, but most AAA games are multiplatform and Sony just updated PlayStation Plus to include free games as well. They don't do it as well as GamePass, but that's not Microsoft's fault. 

Now there's a larger argument to be made that subscription services in general aren't good in general, but there's nothing particularly egregious about GamePass itself. If anything it's become the model of how it should be done if subscription models are going to be the future. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

That's not a healthy and sustainable model.

Spotify and Netflix says hello. (not saying it's a good thing, but it's how things go these days)

I have a X-Box. Used the Game Pass from time to time when there's that 1€ a month deal.:lol: (but I don't play enough to make good use of it, I have mostly played only bigger games that I have actually bought, at reduced prices though)

You guys probably have noticed I find a lot of complaints about AEW to be nitpicky, but one that I 100% agree with is that there's too many fucking tournaments. Especially this one going on now that's supposed to decide a #1 contender for the world title but it's mostly full of ham and eggers since all the top guys are tied up in other programs. It comes down to looking like an obvious push for someone like Ricky Starks since no one else would be a believable winner. Which....if you're going to strap the rocket to someone, just do it instead of doing all this bullshit.

I don't mind this particular tournament, but it does feel a bit like they do a lot of them. In fairness their hand was sort of forced with the last one. It sort of looks like they are trying to build these #1 contenders tournament around the idea of elevating folks and forwarding stories. I expect Starks and maybe Page are going to get a lot of shine in this. I also suspect that Kingston's story will continue develop (excited about Starks, less so about Page personally). I'm interested to see which direction they go with Bandito and Rush, both have had world title matches somewhat recently (ROH and AEW, respectively). They seem to have plans for Cage in ROH, so he and Dante will probably do some wacky shit. It doesn't have quite as much fire power as previous tournaments, but I'd this tournament as a concept near the end of the year and if they can use it to get some momentum behind a few guys and/or stories (which I think they can), I'm for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So evidently, part of the terms of Regal's release from AEW is that Regal is prohibited from appearing on-camera on WWE programming.  My question is: why would TK insist on this clause? It's not like they're gonna job out a retired wrestler/manager to make AEW look inferior. Does TK believe Regal might shoot? Or they'd do a BCC spinoff faction with him? Worried they'd pair him up with his son? I don't get it, why does TK care? 

I find it a tad ironic though that TK bragged about AEW being a "family-first company" in his reasoning as to why he let Regal out of his contract but then says later that he wouldn't be so accomodating for everyone in the future. What's that even supposed to mean? Are you a family-first company or you are not?