All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CM Punk posted a story with FTR, and also took an indirect dig at MJF while doing commentary for some MMA show recently, which makes me think (hope? wish?) that all sides have agreed to business and he might be returning sooner or later. TBH, if TK cannot get all of them to come on board and do business, then that's a big indictment of him as a promoter. Yes, the media scrum was bad, yes, the fight was ugly, but come on. This is pro wrestling. It doesn't crack the top 1000 of ugly things that have happened, wherein all parties ultimately decided to do business and make money. 

12 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I'm all for hyperbole and exaggeration (this is pro-wrestling, after all), but Action Andretti was just last week.

We have zero evidence thus far that Andretti is going to come out ahead on that. If he’s wrestling on Dark in three or six months, it will have been Jericho tactically “doing the job” for someone at absolutely no risk of overshadowing him or taking away one iota of his TV time. If he excels, good on him, but color me skeptical, dude did not scream “star” to me.

18 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Supposedly, Jericho remembered how his win over Scott Hall on Nitro looked and made a point of doing the opposite. So he does appear to be serious about getting Andretti over. How well it works remains to be seen.

Well, what's Jericho definition of getting somebody over? Let's ask Eddie Kingston or the members of the BCC still in AEW about that. 

Don’t know if anybody saw it in the Podcasts folder, but now that the William Regal podcast is done, Conrad Thomason’s music producer Matt Koon is starting a new podcast on Conrad’s Podcast Heat/Ad Free Shows Network with…Dax Harwood.

Koon and Dax are apparently buddies. I used to follow Koon on Twitter for a while and he is one of the loudest voices on Twitter complaining about how FTR are being misused in AEW. He’s also very pissy about the fact that Tony Khan replaced the (terrible) custom theme that Koon had produced for FTR in AEW with the Midnight Express knockoff (which is a million times better.)

Somebody on Twitter jokingly asked Cash Wheeler if he would be getting a podcast too, and Wheeler replied: “Let me think about how many bridges I am willing to burn first.”

That about sums it up. This has glorious train wreck written all over it. Dax Harwood is super passionate about Pro Wrestling and appears to pretty much wear his heart on his sleeve. He has already shown in his appearance on Cornette’s podcast that he is not afraid to vent about behind the scenes drama when he is pissed.

Combine that with a co-host who is not kindly disposed towards Tony Khan, Dax’s friendship with Punk, FTR’s rumoured Heat with the Young Bucks, his antagonistic relationship with Meltzer and a lot of Elite fanboys online…and most significantly the fact that FTR’s contracts are up in the next 90 days or so?

This could be a bit of a spectacle.  Then again, it could just be him and Koon doing watch-alongs of classic Bret Hart matches. Who knows?

The show debuts December 29.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

He’s also very pissy about the fact that Tony Khan replaced the (terrible) custom theme that Koon had produced for FTR in AEW with the Midnight Express knockoff (which is a million times better.)

I don't know anyone can think that the Midnight Express-inspired theme for FTR isn't better than what they first had. I love this theme.

Just now, SirEdger said:

I don't know anyone can think that the Midnight Express-inspired theme for FTR isn't better than what they first had. I love this theme.

Very true. But honestly, the sound of two cats fighting in an alley at 3:00 AM is better than that theme Koon came up with. If that’s an example of his best work, then it’s a small wonder he’s not more successful and that he doesn’t do any of the other AEW themes. He’s no Jim Johnson.

1 minute ago, strobogo said:

I really don't think Jericho has gotten anyone over in AEW except himself. He is pretty good at latching himself to whoever has buzz, tie them up for 6 months of diminishing returns, and then he moves on to the next high profile feud while the other guy does nothing for 9 months.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. I am legitimately surprised at the number of fans online who can’t differentiate between a pinfall loss and “putting somebody over.”

Kevin Nash lost a match to Rey Mysterio. Mick Foley put Randy Orton over.

The most egregious one was the OC feud, where after it was over he actually went on TV and cut promos about how many weeks the feud lasted and how he made OC a main eventer. The same OC who was already probably the most over babyface in the company to begin with, who then immediately went to lose a couple of TNT title matches and then spent the next 6 months mostly on Dark.

Just now, strobogo said:

The most egregious one was the OC feud, where after it was over he actually went on TV and cut promos about how many weeks the feud lasted and how he made OC a main eventer. The same OC who was already probably the most over babyface in the company to begin with, who then immediately went to lose a couple of TNT title matches and then spent the next 6 months mostly on Dark.

A lot of that is definitely on Tony Khan, but I suspect Jericho should probably get a good share of the blame. Which is ironic, when you think about it. Here is a guy who couldn’t get a sniff at the Main Event scene in WCW thanks to the nWo and then had to wade through a ton of political crap before he finally broke through in WWE.

I guess you could argue Jericho helped establish Kevin Owens during his last WWE run, but even then I don’t know how much of that was him helping, and how much of that was him latching on to somebody else who was popular and feeding off it.

When it comes to politicking, Jericho definitely learned at the feet of the masters.

Jericho seems to have a lot of influence on creative when it comes to pitching ideas. How many times in the past 3 years we've heard of backstage reports about how Jericho's latest feud started with him pitching it to Tony Khan? How often does TK turn down creative pitches from other talents compared to Jericho? That's something I'd be curious to know about.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

I really don't think Jericho has gotten anyone over in AEW except himself. He is pretty good at latching himself to whoever has buzz, tie them up for 6 months of diminishing returns, and then he moves on to the next high profile feud while the other guy does nothing for 9 months.

The Ricky Stark's "clout vampire" line on Dynamite on Wednesday wasn't a call out and definitely was approved by Jericho. More a depressing sign that "it" is here to stay. Jericho let the air out of the balloon between that and the Action Andretti job. And will likely just plough on. 

14 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Is Jericho the booker? If not, why is he to blame for how wrestlers are booked after he's done feuding with them?

Jericho does largely book his own stuff, and regardless of how the feud goes and ends, Jericho is still going to go right into the next feud with more tons of screen time that his partner in the feud won't get regardless because they aren't Chris Jericho. He also kills momentum, so there's that.

Tony Khan was agreeable to putting Colt Cabana on television as a winking “fuck you” to their biggest star (which parts of the roster *seemed to understand as such* and posted about on Twitter) while legal/contract negotiations with said star re: his release are still ongoing. Regardless of what you think about Punk, the obvious irresponsibility of that suggests that Tony is at a minimum suggestible, if not outright manipulable. That being the case, I think blaming Tony for everything misses the point somewhat.