Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

6 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Shit, even Rusev Day managed to get fed more by WWE booking, imagine that.

Nope. Rusev Day never got the equivalent of the TNT title reign he had in AEW. He had a cuck angle.

People forget Miro got injured and was out for a while. Then he was out filming a TV show. Then he was in a deal with the House of Black and then they requested their release (kinda sorta) and the whole thing was dropped. So yeah, I also would love me a lot more Miro (fuck, he should have been given the Wardlow push), but it's not like he was put on ice on purpose. Some bad timing there. Now, if he's ready to return and did not like his creative, that's another story. I would sure love him to get in that storyline of him needing his wife to be at his side leading to the debut of CJ, as he's just winning back his TNT title or something. 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

So it's looking like Sasha has verbally agreed to do some dates with New Japan, and not just whatever she's going to do at the Tokyo Dome. Dave pointed out that if WWE balked at the money she was asking, there's no way NJPW could afford it unless AEW was somehow financing it. 

That's a pretty fascinating aspect of the story. But maybe Mercedes (I guess we can call her Mercedes now) simply asked a lot less to NJPW because she just wants to do that.

The other one is Dave saying that even with what she was asking, considering what WWE makes now, she would be underpaid, as everybody is in WWE.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Nope. Rusev Day never got the equivalent of the TNT title reign he had in AEW. He had a cuck angle.

That angle came at the tail end of Rusev Day, when he broke up with Aiden English. Prior to it he was a massive, massive merch mover, and managed to get a WWE Title match against AJ Styles, even. The biggest problem then was never giving him and English a title reign, because it was super over. And lasted more than 4 months!

He should have been doing SOMETHING by now.

11 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

That angle came at the tail end of Rusev Day, when he broke up with Aiden English. Prior to it he was a massive, massive merch mover, and managed to get a WWE Title match against AJ Styles, even. The biggest problem then was never giving him and English a title reign, because it was super over. And lasted more than 4 months!

He was super over, but like you said he never received anything for it. I remember Christophe Agius, the French announcer, talking about it on his podcast, he had a conversation with Rusev and basically he told him that the push would never happen because they would never push Aiden English, because they just would NOT. Yeah, they were that dumb.

Miro is certainly a big what if at this point.

Rusev coming out in a tank at Wrestlemania against John Cena & getting Roman Reigns in a Hell in a Cell match were both pretty big deals. Sure he lost both but being the top heel in a feud with the top babyface even for a short run is a big deal. Like when King Kong Bundy or Earthquake or The Big Boss Man got runs with Hulk Hogan. They were never top guys but they were always prominently used & got a lot of mileage out of it.

Personally I think Rusev/Miro has all the tools to be a top guy but there’s been many guys over the years that probably should have had a run - like Hennig, DiBiase, Steamboat or Rude in WWF.

I was just listening to Jim Cornette’s review of FTR/Briscoes III and when he’s right, he’s right.

Somebody please explain how AEW can have a convicted rapist in Mike Tyson appear on their TV show, and that’s OK. They have Nick Gage, a convicted bank robber in a featured match, during which he slices a dude up, no less. No problem!

But no Briscoes. Because Jay Briscoe tweeted something awful and hateful 10 years ago. And has apologized repeatedly since then. And has never done it again. And has people advocating for him that say he has never shown any sign since then of holding the bigoted or hateful opinions that he originally tweeted.

But they still can’t get on AEW TV.

Tyson is a terrible counter example, because he's a far bigger star than the Briscoes. A lot is forgiven if people can be a needle mover.

On Gage, it's highly possible that flew under the radar for WBD executives. There was no attempt there to sign him to a long-term contract, so there may have been less diligence done. That Gage did one show doesn't mean WBD execs have to let everything in the future slide, especially a long-term contract.

FWIW, I do think the Briscoes shouldn't be banned - people get to grow and change, and one comment really shouldn't blackball someone forever on its own.

11 minutes ago, Migs said:

FWIW, I do think the Briscoes shouldn't be banned - people get to grow and change, and one comment really shouldn't blackball someone forever on its own.

FWIW, this is basically exactly how I feel too. Very happy to give justifications if our community warrants, deserves, and asks for that

Maybe it isn't fair that expressing violent bigotry carries an unshakable stigma in some circles with no opportunity for atonement. But I'll take that over a world where people can express those sentiments with complete impunity, especially when the country is in the middle of a wave of anti-LGBT terrorism. And it's not like the Briscoes are being barred from any kind of employment. They're not even being prevented from working in pro wrestling. They're just not allowed to appear on a particular promotion's television programming. Everyone should be able to make a decent living, but no one has an inalienable right to be a TV star. 

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

Like the saying goes, "the dildo of consequences seldom arrives lubed.”

:huh:

I must have missed the day my wise old grandpappy used that expression.

Anyhow, my point was not that the Briscoes have a “right” to appear on TV or anything like that. It’s more that AEW and Turner/Discovery doesn’t seem to have a consistent response to situations like this. I’d be a lot less bitchy about this whole deal if they applied their standards equally across-the-board, but they don’t.

Let’s not forget Sami’s infamous “joke” about Sasha Banks either. He got what, a month suspension and had to attend sensitivity classes?

Rape conviction? That’s okay, you did your time, plus you’re really famous so we’ll pretend that didn’t happen.

Rape joke? Slap on the wrist. Go to sensitivity class.

Bank robbery conviction? That’s okay, you did your time. By all means, come on our national TV show and carve a motherfucker up.

Homophobic tweets from 12 years ago, that you sincerely apologized for? Fuck you, you’re banished.

It should go without saying that obviously I have absolutely no use for the sentiment behind the original tweets by Jay Briscoe. But for me, redemption should be possible, that’s all I am saying. If AEW and Turner had extremely strict standards that they applied equally to everybody, I’d be a lot less likely to complain about this kind of thing.

As has been proven several times over the past year, the Briscoes are awesome. I have been reminded of that repeatedly recently, and I think it’s a bunch of bullshit that they are not on national TV. If I have to suffer through The Best Friends then by gawd I ought to be able to watch some Briscoes matches on TV.

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if WBD execs just look at the Briscoes and assume they are the kinds of dudes who would go on their TV and say stuff like that tweet.

I can just imagine some corporate stuffed suit looking at them and shitting their pants. 

Point well taken. If you were to search them on YouTube and watch some of their best promos? Yikes. A personal favourite of mine would be from when Mark and Jay were feuding with each other and Mark gets so upset he heads to the gun range…

On 12/16/2022 at 1:42 PM, SirEdger said:

Plot twist, TK bought a 2-story ring and will start use it in January

Judging by the trailer, it would appear as if the rings were not the problem, but the talent. If that's the best highlights they could come up with, woof.

ericho on what’s next for the Jericho Appreciation Society as they head to Winnipeg: “That’s three months from now, so we’ll have to see where the storylines take us. We just finished up with the Blackpool Combat Club. The biggest upset in pro wrestling history when Action Andretti beat me on Dynamite last week. We’ll have to address that. Ricky Starks is another one that we’re looking at getting involved with. There are a lot of great programs. That’s the thing with me and the Jericho Appreciation Society. We always want to work with somebody new and really sink our teeth into them.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I knew this motherfucker wouldn't be able to stay away from Starks.