Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Career Rehabs

Tenese Sarwieh

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Re: Austin...his real break was Bret asking to work with him upon coming back moreso than winning KOTR. I have a feeling he breaks out anyway and probably either gets another opportunity to drop the Austin 3:16 catchphrase or comes up with something else that catches on in a similar way.

It blows my mind like once a month that Austin’s KOTR victory and promo occurred before Bash at the Beach 96.

Shawn Michaels' last run. I really thought he was finished, but it was cool to see him end things without the baggage which consumed him before his injuries did. 

The whole Raven gimmick for Scott Levy. Scotty Flamingo was not an inspired gimmick, and Johnny Polo was never going to be an in-ring talent. The new more up-to-date gimmick made both WCW and WWF notice him and (WCW at least) gave him more consideration when he came back to both companies.

20 hours ago, Kadaveri said:

Don't think this was a big deal. Triple H's biggest leap forward was when he got paired with Stephanie. She was a total heat magnet, and eventually it rubbed off onto him.

Really? See, I'd say the flip from the Regal knock-off into the defacto leader of D-Generation X is what put him over in the minds of the fans. Granted, it wasn't the most dramatic rehab and there's certainly an argument to be made that Chyna and Mick had already got the ball rolling.  Regardless the point I was getting at is that a lot of these WWF stars underwent massive make-overs that rocketed them to stardom.

No doubt he hit pay-dirt around that time. Interestingly, as the story goes when Russo walked out while the company was performing that Rebellion UK PPV, HHH turned to Vince and told him he'd help write the show. Suddenly Vince became the top babyface in the company and HHH was cutting twenty minute dialogues. The show hasn't changed since.

Yea, I definitely wouldn't put Austin in this category. Sure, he seemed like he'd just be a midcard "mechanic" in WCW and was not ever going to be given a real chance but its not like nobody saw potential in the early 90s or ever thought he sucked. Even pre-internet, he was often described as a "blue chipper" or a promising young talent with a "bad attitude" in the Apter mags. I know among my friends and I, who were like 11-12, we thought he was a good wrestler - but because he was a heel, we wanted to see him lose to Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes, etc. I wouldn't call that a rehab. 

His career was at a real cross-rhodes in 1995. No doubt he was a top prospect, but he never put all those pieces together and it just seemed like his body wasn't going to allow him to have the career a lot of people foresaw. He really could have gone one of two ways, but he found his voice in ECW and when he was given the opportunity to talk freely he not only saved his own career, but he helped turned Pro Wrestling on it's head. All it took was that brief stint in ECW to figure that out.

However, the way I interpreted this thread is a wrestler going through a bad patch and coming out of it a better worker. I personally don't think Moxley was travelling that poorly, he was just clearly being given bad material and was phoning his performances in because he couldn't want to get out. He already looked to be in great shape and primed for a big run, it just wasn't going to be the WWE.

I'd say Eddie Guerrero would have to be right up there. After the car accident, Eddie struggled to perform to the same level and it seemed like he recognised that, switching from his high athletic style to more of a character worker. It got him a decent place on the mid-card, but you'd hardly know that Eddie was considered by many to be just as good as Bret, Shawn or Benoit in that decade. Eventually his drug use gets out of control, he gets released and his life spirals out of control. He eventually turns it around, starts building a reputation on the indies and is quickly hired back to the WWE where he eventually builds a legacy as one of the greatest performers of all-time.

The tragedy is that his comeback could have very well been what did him in.

Negro Navarro was a star in the 1980s as part of the Misioneros de la Muerte, but by the late 1990s he was basically just a name from the past. He overhauled his working style into something new, basically inventing maestro wrestling, and made himself a consistent presence on the indies for years afterward.

6 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

How can I be foolish and not mention PAC. After a so so run in WWE he went back to Dragon Gate renewed and had an excellent Open the Dream Gate run becoming a top draw and getting Dragon Gate much needed buzz after the split from CIMA and crew.

Except, his WWE run was...fine. And regardless of what's happening with him and AEW (whether that whole stupid fiasco is a work or shoot), Dragon Gate is a massive step down from both. 

Only the Aries WM match and series with Tozawa were preshows. He won the title from Swann at the Rumble, defended against Jack Gallagher at FastLane. The rest of the really awesome Aries feud was on PPV main card of Payback & Extreme Rules and then losing it to Enzo on the No Mercy PPV. The most impressive thing about his reign to me was he was having great matches with a load of guys I had zero interest in aside from Aries (Swann at the time, Gallagher, TJP, etc.)

9 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The main thing I'm grabbing is someone having interest in goddamn Austin Aries

I mean Aries might be a dick but he has a long history as a great wrestler. Too many great matches to refute, imo. But Gallagher rules and is an awesome dude, so that one is super confusing.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:00 AM, sek69 said:

Yeah he was the cornerstone of the whole Cruiserweight division when that still sorta meant something. His run in DG was a boost for the company but a step down for him.

Does it count as a step down if it was his call, though? If I remember correctly his not working DON had more to do with protecting the Dragon Gate title (even if it wasn't on the line) for Ben-K to win it at Kobe and get over than him not wanting to "do the job". It's absolutely a step down, but I really don't think he minds at all

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I mean Aries might be a dick but he has a long history as a great wrestler. Too many great matches to refute, imo. But Gallagher rules and is an awesome dude, so that one is super confusing.

He does have a history just as long of being an asshole so maybe it evens out? :lol:

But I agree, was just trying to have a laugh. Gallagher is incredible in/out of the ring, it was weird to me too.

3 hours ago, King of Debt said:

Does it count as a step down if it was his call, though? If I remember correctly his not working DON had more to do with protecting the Dragon Gate title (even if it wasn't on the line) for Ben-K to win it at Kobe and get over than him not wanting to "do the job". It's absolutely a step down, but I really don't think he minds at all

Yeah I think it still counts, and I'd agree he probably doesn't mind. 

4 hours ago, El Dragon said:

The main thing I’m grabbing from that is: You have zero interest in Gallagher? What is wrong with you?

All I've really seen of him was the awful awful comedy shit he was doing upon arriving in WWE that turned me off huge until the cruiserweights got off Raw and I stopped watching 205 so I don't really see him.

On the other hand. Aries is one of my all time favorites. Huge fan of his original ROH run, his climb to the top of Impact, and his wasted WWE run but everything about the Aries/Neville feud ruled.