Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/18 - 11/24 South American Coupamania

KawadaSmile

6 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Top people screams Seth to me. AEW victory in the bag!

I actually do think NXT could pop a rating from this and edge out Dynamite and I'm really not looking forward to the crowing if that happens.

@WWERollins: We invaded NXT with one goal in mind. To BURN! IT! DOWN! And we did that by being #1 in the ratings for Wednesday night and making more money than everyone else! @CMPunk was too afraid to show up. #Coward

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, C.S. said:

It was fine. No one should have been expecting a "Pipe Bomb" on week 1. I do think we got some quiet gems though.

- Punk criticizing all the same things about the product that we have.

- Punk asking Renee which member of The Shield was her favorite. :lol:

- Punk owning his shitty MMA W-L record during the painful Arquette "Promo School" segment.

- Renee mentioning Punk's "significant other" (exactly like that, because WWE's gonna WWE).

- Punk saying that horrible Roman Reigns dog costume segment is making him re-think taking this job.

- Punk to Seth: "Stop tweeting!"

- Punk's promo on Tom Arnold, really meant for Seth after a "Freudian slip" at the end. 

Yeah, 95%+ of the fans in the reddit thread and my bud in real life said it was fine too. I listed those facts in my mind as well.

I guess my problem is he tagged Vince and Kahn, which implied pipebomb, yet didn't even mention Khan vs Randy, or Saudi, or the lawsuits.

The bigger issue is that it's still not SportsCenter- it's still an advertising arm of WWE, so no ACH or even AEW debates. So he may think he is "free" but he is helping WWE with this buzz.

The Seth thing feels like a "coming out of retirement for WM" angle.

As far as his "shooting", Booker T, Paige, and Christian did the same thing in previous episodes. They all crapped on Rusev-Lana, and Paige even called out Seth for being immature on Twitter. Booker buried him too. So not sure why Paige paused and acted uncomfortable when Punk teased them to agree with his "hot take".  Also not sure why a "free" Rene has problems saying her husband's name. Seems like a step above Corey Graves' FOX podcasts or Austin's WWE podcast collabs. It's WWE being "edgy" but still feels like they have Stockholm Syndrome.

Punk's rant about "wrestling" suffering from micromanagement and overproduction? It's not "wrestling", Phil, it's only WWE. It was a Freudian slip that he still thinks WWE is the only player in town.

If you reduce it to "So what did Punk say to break the world??", the answer is...he shit on Baron Corbin's promo. Something that has been done on the show for Lana already. The Shield reference? Also made on a previous show. The Tom Arnold promo is just a segment that other have done on the show.

That is my minority opinion. I get it everyone likes Punk again after last week. LOL!!!

I concede that he did not storm off or act like a corporate zombie. So, yes, he did fine. I just have high expectations for Punk "shooting".

But seriously, he had said this year he was over wrestling but now he is on a wrestling talk show, and guys are already challenging him on Twitter (Seth and Ricochet). And full disclosure, I am an AEW fan, and he chose a side, so...

A couple of things, @War is Raw:

- No one in their right mind is actually mistaking WWE Backstage for SportsCenter or even an "independent" show. 

- Going to AEW would have been the more interesting, ballsy move for Punk to make, but he's 41 years old, beaten to shit, and has a wife at home, so I don't necessarily blame him for going where the money is. As a fan, it's a boring and disappointing choice, but I can understand why he made it.

Was anyone really expecting Punk to do anything "crazy"?  As much as he gets branded as this "loose cannon" character who'll say whatever no matter the consequences, he's always worked within the lines of the company.  The Pipe Bomb promo was approved and on television.  It wasn't some shoot that snuck by HHH and Vince.  Sure, Punk's looked out for his own interests even when it went against management, and that's awesome.  But he never had a crazy, off-script moment while he was in WWE.  Now he's back on their payroll (I know, technically Fox's payroll, but he wouldn't be there unless Vince was ok with it), so I wouldn't expect for him to go too far outside the lines.

4 hours ago, C.S. said:

A couple of things, @War is Raw:

- No one in their right mind is actually mistaking WWE Backstage for SportsCenter or even an "independent" show. 

- Going to AEW would have been the more interesting, ballsy move for Punk to make, but he's 41 years old, beaten to shit, and has a wife at home, so I don't necessarily blame him for going where the money is. As a fan, it's a boring and disappointing choice, but I can understand why he made it.

Unfortunately you'd be surprised how many times real people in real life have told me "it's not kayfabe", "it's a sports job for Rene", and "it covers real sports" (that boxing PPV advert).

I don't blame Punk for following the money, but I do blame him for acting like money was not as issue (previous interviews on Youtube) and he is retired. The last point goes away if he wrestles for WWE next year after rejected Khan's light schedule. Heck, Kahn would have paid for him to Dynamite speaking or PPV pipebomb appearances only. Just saying...I'm not on Team Punk anymore. I followed him for years, felt for him,  he acted like an artist who was against the system. Sold out to me, you know?

3 hours ago, Log said:

Was anyone really expecting Punk to do anything "crazy"?  As much as he gets branded as this "loose cannon" character who'll say whatever no matter the consequences, he's always worked within the lines of the company.  The Pipe Bomb promo was approved and on television.  It wasn't some shoot that snuck by HHH and Vince.  Sure, Punk's looked out for his own interests even when it went against management, and that's awesome.  But he never had a crazy, off-script moment while he was in WWE.  Now he's back on their payroll (I know, technically Fox's payroll, but he wouldn't be there unless Vince was ok with it), so I wouldn't expect for him to go too far outside the lines.

The original podcast where he spoke the truth?

The numerous interviews where he said WWE almost killed him and he hates how things are run there.

The lawsuits? Still bitter about WWE not caring about his health. Still thinks WWE was behind it. Lost his friend.
Tagged Khan who responded with Saudi. Not mentioned.

Very easy to say what you said in hindsight. People tuned in hoping for something big, which will be shown in the ratings...sorry. Not sure why this is a debate.

lol @ "a lot of top people that people wouldn't expect"  *Seth Rollins has been spotted in Orlando!*

Outside of Brock/Rey, zero interest in the Survivor Series card and that's the only match with any real stakes or heat to it. 2016 was the last great Survivor Series where the RAW vs SD match was actually really awesome and then the Brock/Goldberg shocker closed the show.  

Starting this show with arguably the biggest star/draw in the world (Becky's quarters are consistently amongst the highest rated and from what I have read, she sells a lot of merchandise) shows that WWE is absolutely not fucking around. The problem of course is that such angles inherently cannot be long-term, so I hope they use today's episode to massively put Riddle and Lee over, because those two rule.

2 hours ago, War is Raw said:

The original podcast where he spoke the truth?

The numerous interviews where he said WWE almost killed him and he hates how things are run there.

The lawsuits? Still bitter about WWE not caring about his health. Still thinks WWE was behind it. Lost his friend.
Tagged Khan who responded with Saudi. Not mentioned.

Very easy to say what you said in hindsight. People tuned in hoping for something big, which will be shown in the ratings...sorry. Not sure why this is a debate.

Other than the Kahn tweet, those were all done when he wasn’t working for WWE. When he works for them, he toes the line. Always has. Like I said, he may be employed by Fox, technically, but he works for WWE. 

Punk’s a smart dude. He knows when to do that stuff and when not to. They may draw a big rating on that first show, but will it keep interest? Who knows?

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Thought this was amusing in light of our recent discussions about Lana's acting ability...

Looks like she's in a real movie... It appears to be of the straight-to-video variety, but still.

I meant to say during that original discussion that her filmography is actually pretty thin at least according to Wikipedia.