Pro Wrestling Only

Is the empire crumbling before our eyes?

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

If only pro wrestling wasn’t a morally reprehensible business in basically every way. 

Yeah of course we all know that…but this kind of thing seems especially egregious. Just because horrible things happen in this company all the time, it doesn’t make it any less disgusting or excusable when it gets brought to light.

I forget the name of the individual, but I remember reading during the pandemic about a person that they hired to work at the PC. This poor person uprooted their entire life and moved halfway across the country, including pulling their kids out of school if I recall correctly. As soon as the pandemic hit, WWE fired the person, who had barely been there for a significant amount of time.

Not to mention, they were releasing talent who did not have a visa to stay in the country legally if they were not working, so they were at serious risk of being deported. But WWE didn’t care, they just wanted to save money…to hell with what havoc they were wreaking on the lives of their employees. It’s not like these people were being fired for cause, it was supposedly being done for purely financial reasons.

But they apparently had a limitless amount of money to pay to cover up Vince’s behaviour.

59 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

forget the name of the individual, but I remember reading during the pandemic about a person that they hired to work at the PC. This poor person uprooted their entire life and moved halfway across the country, including pulling their kids out of school if I recall correctly. As soon as the pandemic hit, WWE fired the person, who had barely been there for a significant amount of time.

That was Allison Danger/Cathy Corino. 

Also I know the Aussie talent like Jonah and Steph De Lander were left in limbo not able to work until they got visas since theirs were provided by WWE.

We know why those "financial cuts" have been made now. To reimburse Vince hush money for sexual predation at his workplace. Doesn't keep corporate drone like Cena to wanna have Vince as the lone figure in his Mount Rushmore (such an american trope, this). Would you picture Tarantino for instance say something like this about Weinstein ? These people are so embarrassing.

Meanwhile, Kane is at it again, never forget this guy was just at SummerSlam celebrated as a legend of the company (and giving away a fake-ass number, because lying what he's only good at). Kevin Dunn is still there. So yeah, things are gonna change... but maybe not as much nor as quick as people want to believe. Also, the final destination still has to be a sale, right ? If not, why make all these cuts in the budget, that's been Nick Khan's job since day one.

10 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

This is glorious.

15 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

And sounds like Dunn is safe for now, mostly because they have nobody to replace him. Yippee 

15 hours ago, sek69 said:

Didn't they fire a bunch of people Hunter was training to be production when they did the Great Purge post black and gold era?

I have heard and seen some interviews over the years talking about how having the ability to direct a live Pro Wrestling broadcast takes a very specific set of skills that not a lot of TV directors might have. Jim Herd of all people, talked about how it was similar to directing a hockey game…you have to keep the camera on the puck at all times, while still getting all the surrounding action. Cornette talked about it too, when he talked about producing SMW and OVW TV, how many cameras you need for good coverage and set ups, etc.

I get it that it’s probably not easy. I also understand that WWE cranked up the “quick cut” style when HD came in, and they were worried about people being able to see the action closer and not wanting to show the in ring tricks and shortcuts. But clearly there is no need for the ridiculous zooming in and out, and the deliberate shaking of the actual camera. Plus…AEW is in HD and they don’t do all that crap. They have proven you can have a professional, high quality Pro Wrestling broadcast on a major network without nausea inducing camera work.

One of the things I respect about Tony Khan is that he went to the trouble, time and expense of hiring Keith Mitchell (who clearly knew how to direct a Pro Wrestling broadcast.) Mitchell was pivotal in getting AEW off the ground from a directing/production standpoint and helped make sure their TV looked great. He obviously helped train guys to do that stuff the right (and non-nauseating and seizure inducing) way before he retired last year.

Besides, if you believe the rumours and stories reported, Kevin Dunn isn’t just a problem as the director. Sounds like Vince gave him a ton of influence on the actual creative. That’s why I remain skeptical about real change while he and Bruce Prichard are still around. Even if you believe Vince isn’t secretly telling them what to do, those guys probably only want to do things the way Vince did them anyway. It’s already obvious Triple H is in charge based on some of the changes made over the past few weeks…but I wonder how far those changes can really go with Kevin Dunn around.

Anyhow, to my original point, if @sek69 is right…that’s a problem. I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but if Vince or Dunn or whoever did stop Triple H from hiring or training new TV production staff, you’d have to ask why that is? Dunn probably only wants his guys working in TV production. Which means that even if they did get rid of him, they’d end up with somebody who worked and probably trained under him. Which means we’d just end up with “Quick Cuts: The Next Generation.”

There are plenty of supposed low-level MMA companies that have much better camerawork and direction than WWE. Numerous other sports, countless football leagues, the athletics, boxing etc etc

A slightly perverse myth generating here about the wrestling being a special niche product that few can produce. 

Most backstage segments are a one camera tracking shot at best

18 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

There are plenty of supposed low-level MMA companies that have much better camerawork and direction than WWE. Numerous other sports, countless football leagues, the athletics, boxing etc etc

A slightly perverse myth generating here about the wrestling being a special niche product that few can produce. 

Most backstage segments are a one camera tracking shot at best

Who knows…maybe people in the industry like to play it off like it’s a lot harder than it actually is or something. I don’t know about you, but I met plenty of people in my professional life who claimed it was difficult to do what they do, but when you boil it down and actually take a closer look…not so much.

You also make a good point I had not considered, in that the massive influx of MMA being broadcast over the past decade has probably resulted in tons of production staff who could do a good job filming Pro Wrestling. On the flip side of that, I have seen some truly dreadful camerawork on some low level MMA shows. But your point is valid.

Re: Kevin Dunn

"Fightful Select has reported that even though several WWE talents don't like Dunn's production style, believing it undermines their work, Paul 'Triple H' Levesque has stated he factors into the promotion's plans."

Yes, it's a little vague, but yes, it's a little deflating.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

A&E WWE documentary, always quality content.

(I did not know about Conrad losing his mind when Bischoff told the same story on the podcast, but it happened, hence Conrad twitting this)

I specifically remember that episode of 83 Weeks. Bischoff claimed he had no idea DX were outside the area until after they left, because if he’d known they were there, he’d have let them in. Bischoff claims he was in the ring, live on the air at the time it happened.

Conrad claims Bischoff is lying, and that Bruce Prichard (who produced the segment and was there) claims they showed up at the area before the show had even started, while the fans were still outside waiting to be let in. Conrad and Prichard claim the segment was pre-taped and that is proven by the fact that it’s still daylight in the segment, which it wouldn’t have been if the segment was live.

On 8/11/2022 at 6:56 AM, Dav'oh said:

Re: Kevin Dunn

"Fightful Select has reported that even though several WWE talents don't like Dunn's production style, believing it undermines their work, Paul 'Triple H' Levesque has stated he factors into the promotion's plans."

Yes, it's a little vague, but yes, it's a little deflating.

If Vince fired staff from Triple H's team that would've been likely to take over for Kevin Dunn once he took over, what else could he realistically do? Until he can find someone to do the job, he kinda has to bite the bullet and stick with Dunn.

Yes, it's deflating but I don't believe both Dunn & Bruce Prichard are nearly as harmful as they were when Vince was in charge. Now they got to answer to Triple H & Stephanie, not Vince. Big difference. Dunn can't get away now with refusing to push a woman because "she's not fuckable enough".

5 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Conrad claims Bischoff is lying, and that Bruce Prichard (who produced the segment and was there) claims they showed up at the area before the show had even started, while the fans were still outside waiting to be let in. Conrad and Prichard claim the segment was pre-taped and that is proven by the fact that it’s still daylight in the segment, which it wouldn’t have been if the segment was live.

I clearly remember part of the segment was DX talking to WCW fans waiting in line and more or less getting them to say they would rather be going to Raw. 

Plus it was clearly taped earlier in the day prior to Nitro starting. Bischoff probably has pulled a Hogan on this and has told the lie so often he probably legit believes that's how it happened. 

From the Feds's 2022 Q2 SEC Filing: "the loss of services of Mr. McMahon could have a material adverse effect on our ability to create popular characters and creative storylines".

Yeah, nah. I can't believe they're still fellating him in absentia.