Pro Wrestling Only

Your #100 Spot

In 2016 a lot of people reserved their #100 spot for personal favorites that maybe didn't necessarily deserve to make the list. I was wondering if people plan on doing that this time around and if so, Whom are you thinking about for the #100 spot? For example in 2016 I voted Mad Dog Vachon #100. I sorta thing he actually deserves to be on the list this time or a least stronger consideration than just #100 in the personal favorite spot. 

So I've thought a little about who I might save that last space for and have a few people in mind. Who are you all thinking about for that last spot? 

I nominated Megumi Fujii purely as a 100 candidate, and when I get down to finalizing my list if I'm not agonizing over my last few cuts, I'll probably put her there, but I think it's more likely that I have 150 people I'm considering and just try to get the 100 best on my ballot. 

Earthquake was #100 in 2016, you have to be better than Earthquake to get into my list. I like him as a guardpost!

Going over my list this morning, I may have a different 100 this time, but I do like the concept of Tenta there. Hey may go up, don't worry no way he doesn't make it.

No tag team poll means I have no way to pay tribute to the Nasty Boys, so I'm thinking about Jerry Saggs at #100. I could present a case if pressed, but I think Saggs is probably one of those unimpeachable universally recognized great wrestlers that doing a big write up isn't necessary. :)

I mentioned this in the Speaking Out thread, but Chris Benoit will be my #100. Prior to the tragedy, he was my favorite wrestler and was the epitome of what I liked in wrestling. To me, he’s my scarlet letter of pro wrestling in that I can’t ignore all the good and bad he’s done. To pretend like he didn’t exist would be wrong. But he can’t be worshipped in the way he used to be.

18 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

I always try to find more Super Dragon.

It is weird that more of his stuff isn't just out there. I have a super dragon dvd comp and a few other sets that feature lots of Super Dragon, but yeah... he isn't someone you just run into a lot on the web I think. 

Ha, I have Kikuchi #98 currently.

Also there's tons of Super Dragon on the Highspots Network, obviously. Also some real oddities if you search around enough on youtube, like a dark match for WCW tagging with Blitzkrieg, VS Juvi also early in his career, an awesome 2003 match VS Brian XL, but yeah he seems to keep a close eye on what's up there. The Brian XL match is one of 4 matches we've featured on my blog all of which you can find here, that one and the CZW tag are especially worth checking out.

• 1 month later...

Maybe not the exact same question, but I think it's pretty similar. I wonder if people are using a certain wrestler as a baseline. In other words, for someone to be considered for my list, they have to be someone I think of as being better than ____________, who I consider right at the borderline.

It’s incredibly early, but my gut feeling is it’s going to come down to two guys who were absolutely incredible for 1 year year stretches that due to opportunity or otherwise just didn’t peak that high the rest of there career.

Case 1 is Paul London. Absolutely incredible run  in RoH from mid 02 to mid 03. In a company with AJ, Punk, Joe, Low-Ki, and Danielson, I thought he was noticeably the best worker of the bunch for 12 months. Putting on legit classics with Danielson, AJ, and Xavier. He gets signed to WWE and becomes the poster child of guys WWE just kills dead. His WWE run is still full of fun stuff on Velocity and his team with Kendrick is legit very good, but they killed his passion for the business and was just never the same again.

Case 2 is Doug Somers, the best guy to not receive a vote in 2016. Only one year of being anything but a jobber, but that year is spent in arguably the best tag team feud ever on US soil. And he more then holds his own teaming with an all timer in Buddy, some times even out performing Buddy and a young Shawn who was arguably in his perfect role. The feud in one image to me is Somers holding a crimson masked Shawn by his hair to prevent the tag as he just fucking laughs at Marty. He’s just so fucking amazing in that feud he feels unarguable

These two might finish 99 and 100 for me, or it might be a fight between the 2 for the spot. Still up in the air

On 7/11/2021 at 5:01 PM, Loss said:

Maybe not the exact same question, but I think it's pretty similar. I wonder if people are using a certain wrestler as a baseline. In other words, for someone to be considered for my list, they have to be someone I think of as being better than ____________, who I consider right at the borderline.

It’s waaaay too early for that for me to properly articulate this but my early baseline seems to be “to even get to the point I’m considering you for top 100 I have to think your better then Curt Hennig”

That might be a high baseline to some, but Curt Hennig is a guy I’m pretty low on by comparison to others.

• 3 months later...

With so many legit candidates, IMHO making #100 a not worthy personal favorite/throwaway/funny isn't something I feel comfortable doing.

PWI 500 is justified in doing it for a given year because there are not really 500 great active wrestlers. I too would have put Lulu Pencil as #500 as PWI did because it have her positive attention. But I don't think my list would be in good faith if I put Lulu #100 for my GWE submission.