Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Royal Rumble 2024

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can appreciate that WWE is super hot, but man, every PPV I've tuned into in the past 6 months or so has mostly sucked and this was no different. The hottest things on this show were Jade debuting, Jordyn Grace being the workhorse of the Rumble, and Punk vs Cody while trying not to acknowledge AEW. 

I thought Punk looked awful tonight. Though that's probably because a battle royal is probably the least fitting match for him. He looked gassed, weak and as uncoordinated as ever. The Mania match against Seth is the one were he'll probably cook though.

13 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also, if this means The Rock is out, I will laugh super fucking hard

To be fair, he once again had an interview were he said he's more interested in something "long term" (can't remember the exact wording) rather than just doing 1 match. If the Roman feud is a long one, it's probably for the best it doesn't involve the WWE Title.

Punk vs. Cody was the only bit of drama to the entire Rumble and everybody — the wrestlers, the crowd, the announcers — was already spent by the time they got there. Given all of the intrigue they had coming in, this definitely feels like one of the most disappointing Rumbles in a while.

13 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I thought Punk looked awful tonight. Though that's probably because a battle royal is probably the least fitting match for him. He looked gassed, weak and as uncoordinated as ever. The Mania match against Seth is the one were he'll probably cook though.

It was one of the sloppiest Rumbles I’ve ever seen, other than Drew bringing some heat for the final minutes. Even McAfee’s “moment”, which didn’t really require much out of anybody, felt like somebody missed a cue. (And a bonus of screwing up Bron’s big highlight by throwing off the timing of Omos’s elimination after that.)

With only four matches, I was hoping for a shorter show, but that didn't happen.

These things really need to be three hours. 

I was tired by the time KO vs. Logan Paul came on (that match should have been before Roman's, which was dead and heatless in any position) and exhausted by the time the men's Rumble finally rolled around.

3 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Lmao that Cody made a better statement about Vince stuff than HHH when directly asked. 

Why did they both say?

Unless CM Punk is there wolfing down muffins and Spindrift, these "press conferences" are rarely worth bothering with.

HHH just said he only wants to focus on the positives of the past week to two different questions. Cody at least acknowledged the reports and filing and how everyone here read it at the same time as everyone else, but then talked about how the locker room is such a family now and he's never experienced that in his career. 

HHH was asked at least two direct questions about the Vince stuff and both times he just said shit like "I'm just focusing on the positives in the past week". 

Strobogo actually let Triple H off easy: HHH said straight-up that he hadn't read the lawsuit yet. Just an absolutely staggeringly bad answer that made him come off as flippant and indifferent.

Of course I'm not expecting HHH to throw himself at the mercy of the Lord or say, "Yeah, my father-in-law's a real shitbag," but I'm just absolutely gobsmacked that we didn't get a, "I cannot comment on an ongoing legal matter and that will be my last word on the subject." 

Watched the men’s Rumble and man, they need a way better structure than “Entrant comes in and hits his hot tag for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat” What a boatload of nothing that was. As someone said, for a company that’s crazy hot at the gates, this felt like such an anodyne show in terms of the booking. Talk about playing everything super safe 

Drew McIntyre grabbing someone's face and screaming "I own your ass!" was way-too-close to the lawsuit allegations, for me. It was a planned spot which the director focussed on. Curious.

I understand I see things differently, for better or worse. 

4 hours ago, strobogo said:

Lmao that Cody made a better statement about Vince stuff than HHH when directly asked. 

That wasn't hard. It was still bad. And Triple H's answer was basic corporate bullshit, weighing positive and negative, as if people's lives are numbers. No word for the victim. No empathy. No condemnation. Nothing. Fuck these people. Fuck this company.

And yeah. The amazing "Star making machine", uh ? Their hottest star is Cody Rhodes. And without AEW, they don't get that Cody Rhodes. The other one ? CM Punk. And without AEW, they certainly don't fucking get CM Punk back, ever. (as far as him looking old and tired, this is on par with the report of his house-show stuff)

And then what's the event of the women's Rumble. Jade Cargill. Without AEW, they don't get Jade Cargill, not that Jade Cargill (by that I mean, already made and known to the audience).

WWE wants to be the big bad wolf and kill everyone, but the reality is that they always profit from the fact they get a healthy competition. Nothing outside of WWE exists or matters, but Jordynne Grace and Naomi hugging then facing off, as they did in TNA, got a bigger pop than a shitload of nothing happening in the match.

One year after being organically the hottest star in the business, Sami Zayn is fan service.

But it doesn't really matter. It's all pretty irrelevant. Because like Triple H said "We gotta focus on the positive". The positive ? You mean the money you get to sport-wash the Saudi regime, or some other positive ? The fact no one's asking you if you knew about your father in law being a rapist and sexual criminal maybe. Maybe that's a positive, because the answer may be ugly.

One big thing that I noticed during the Rumble matches is that the audio felt like you couldn't not only hear the pop of the crowd but you couldn't really hear the opening part of the theme song for each wrestler either. I never knew who was coming out until they were on the screen or we got a name on the Titantron. Like imagine the Edge Rumble comeback without the "you think you know me?" part. That's what happened all night long for every entrant. It was really weird. So yeah, they definitely fucked with the audio in some capacity. 

I am not watching the most legal of streams here but this audio is way off, wonder if they were scared of catching a little vince chant as an audible

Thought Jade looked great, as good a debut as she could get without winning the thing really

Maybe Cody beats Roman with some Rock interference and they build to Summerslam or a Saudi shitshow? 

3 minutes ago, El-P said:

Paul Lesveque really wants people to believe that he did not read the lawsuit ? And he actually said at one point "This has been a great week for the company." ?

Very odd behaviour; I guess they decided the "ignorance is bliss" approach was best, but it seems to have failed quite badly

That said UFC have retained the dickhead at the top, maybe it's the TKO approach. Triple H the scapegoat