Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will reveal it but only when Vince is feeling really desperate. They are too cowardly to get rid of the needless "authority figure" gimmick so this is an end around where it doesn't have to be the focus of all the storylines either.

Also I don't think the Morrison push has anything to do with TE return. I think they are pretty clearly trying to recreate Jeff Hardy.

I'm watching 93 USWA and this stuff is all new to me. I get that they had their big shows on Monday nights and taped the tv to promote it... Saturday morning, was it? But when they show footage from the Monday night shows, it's clipped but announced. Did they tape the entirety of those shows as well?

The anonymous GM is getting mostly negative reviews but I'm kind of indifferent. It's a somewhat clever, if not lazy way to set up matches without having to have a GM character shoved down your throat. It's been going on too long though (8 months). They've booked themselves in a corner now because there is no way they can reveal someone and have it make any sense in storyline (the jumping from heel to face, back to heel during the show, does he like Bret Hart or not?)

According to Randazzo it was created because Vince hated all the possible GM names creative came up with

The anonymous GM is getting mostly negative reviews but I'm kind of indifferent. It's a somewhat clever, if not lazy way to set up matches without having to have a GM character shoved down your throat. It's been going on too long though (8 months). They've booked themselves in a corner now because there is no way they can reveal someone and have it make any sense in storyline (the jumping from heel to face, back to heel during the show, does he like Bret Hart or not?)

I think the one guy who it could be without that being a plot hole is HHH. He's so established as both a face and a heel that he can be accepted as a shades of gray character. Kind of like Vince where he will play heel or play face depending on the situation and kind of randomly switch back and forth, but because it's Vince it works.

The only people that the GM really overtly fucked with that I can remember were Jericho and Edge, which would make sense for HHH. He sort of fucked with Bret Hart, sort of encouraged Nexus but never fully backed them, and a lot of the time will just make sensible decisions for the show that don't have any sort of ulterior motive.

I don't really expect it to be HHH, but it's hard to come up with another name that would work. I guess Stephanie works too. Or maybe it could be Hunter and Stephanie, and that would explain the inconsistency!

One thing I'm not clear on is is Cole supposed to know who it is? There was somebody who claimed they knew who it was. Was it Jericho? And if it was, was the idea that he actually knew, or was just talking shit?

Has anyone here seen the Flair vs Tenryu matches from '92? Now that I know how much Flair wanted to do the match in '88, I'm curious to see how they turned out.

Bumping this. C'mon... jdw at least must have seen one or both!

Neither of them. I never was much of a watcher of SWS/WAR in those years, and never really went back to track them down. :)

John

While eating my lunch, I am beginning GAB '92. I've been meaning to ask: Anyone know why Jesse would jumpy to WCW in the early 90's? Surely Vince was paying him well enough.

The quick answer is cause Jesse and Vince had the falling out over the Union issue. Jesse had already become mayor of some small town, and took the offer for the money and probably to stick it to Vince by showing him that he can do what he wants.

Watching Dutch Mantell Guest Booker shoot. One of the best things he says is that he would have debuted Hardy and RVD on sep shows, because "you don't play two running backs at the same time".

I was amused as he says something earlier in the shoot about how RAW is so boring that the only reason it has ratings is because people fall asleep and forget to turn it off. Then later he talks about how RAW's ratings increase in the second hour because Vince knows how to build throughout the show, so people stay around to watch what happens. :blink:

While eating my lunch, I am beginning GAB '92. I've been meaning to ask: Anyone know why Jesse would jumpy to WCW in the early 90's? Surely Vince was paying him well enough.

The quick answer is cause Jesse and Vince had the falling out over the Union issue. Jesse had already become mayor of some small town, and took the offer for the money and probably to stick it to Vince by showing him that he can do what he wants.

Now that IS interesting. Thanks for the detail.