Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

Also, I have to mention that early to mid 80s WWF is killing me with the count-out/DQ/Draw finishes in jobber matches. For fucks sake, you don't need to protect Iron Mike Sharpe from doing a clean job.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I have to mention that early to mid 80s WWF is killing me with the count-out/DQ/Draw finishes in jobber matches. For fucks sake, you don't need to protect Iron Mike Sharpe from doing a clean job.

Which show did that happen? I don't recall jobbers like Iron Mike not doing clean jobs, at least on a regular basis...especially at house shows.

This one:

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - August 25, 1984

Televised on the MSG Network - featured Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes on commentary:

Championship Wrestling - 9/8/84: Kamala (w/ Freddie Blassie & Friday) pinned Chief Jay Strongbow at 2:50 with a splash to the back

Championship Wrestling - 9/8/84: B. Brian Blair fought Iron Mike Sharpe to a double count-out at 13:02

Prime Time Wrestling - 8/13/85: Rick McGraw (sub. for Don Muraco) fought Salvatore Bellomo to a time-limit draw at 18:07

TNT - 10/16/84: WWF Tag Team Champions Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis defeated the Wild Samoans via disqualification at the 12-minute mark when the challengers began shoving guest referee Capt. Lou Albano after Albano stopped Afa's cover on Murdoch and went to tell Sika he had to hold onto the tag rope; after the bout, Albano cheap shoted Afa, who was held by the champions, until Sika cleared the ring

Ken Patera defeated Pat Patterson via submission with the full nelson at 9:04 (Patera's MSG return after a near 4-year absence)

Jesse Ventura defeated Ivan Putski via count-out at 11:40 after hitting Putski with a foreign object as both men fought on the apron

Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy, & Buddy Roberts (w/ David Wolff) defeated Butcher Vachon, Ron Shaw, & Pete Doherty at 8:58 in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match, 2-0; fall #1: Gordy pinned Vachon at 5:39 with a crossbody; fall #2: Roberts pinned Doherty with an elbow drop

Roddy Piper defeated Jimmy Snuka via count-out at 7:05 when Snuka was dropped across the top rope while attempting a crossbody off the top, then falling to the floor and hitting his back against the apron; after the bout, Piper hit Snuka three times in the back of the neck with a folded steel chair; moments later, Snuka was placed on a stretcher and taken backstage (Best of the WWF Vol. 1)

Terry Daniels pinned Fred Marzino (sub. for Rene Goulet) at 3:55 with a reverse roll up; only a small portion of the bout was shown, with the focus being Jimmy Snuka being attended to backstage

WWF IC Champion Tito Santana pinned Greg Valentine with a crossbody; immediately after the match, Valentine put the champion in the figure-4 (History of the Intercontinental Title)

You have a double countout followed by a draw, and both matches should have been squashes or at least have some sort of clean finish.

Only thing I can come up with in the immediate for those decisions are that the results when guys like Bellomo, Mcgraw and Sharpe were involved were so predictable, even back then, that they wanted to try and forge the appearance that they didn't lose ALL the time.

In Blair's case, they probably didn't have anything in the works for him yet so maybe he was originally destined to be a JTTS, instead of in a moderately successful tag team. The ship had sailed for the rest of them on that option.

Or maybe not, I dunno.

- Why did they have a big angle unifying the NWA and UWF TV titles and nothing else? Sure, the Lightning Express vs Arn/Tully might not have gone over since the LE were mostly seen as jobbers by the JCP fans, but the matches would have been good. Doc vs Flair may not have been a mat classic but I don't see 1987 Flair having a bad match with anyone. At least a unification match would have been a better storyline for Starrcade than giving poor Ronnie a lame duck run. Also the TV title angle was kind of sad because it's pretty much the last time Nikita gave a shit in wrestling, since soon his wife would be sick and he morphed into the crewcut, off-cycle version of Nikita that had zero heat.

I seem to recall that Doc wandered off before they could do anything. Not that they had much planned with it. But I seem to recall him working into December, then had issues and wandered off. He came back in March 1988, got a build up to face Flair, and had a short rather forgotten series of matches with him.

I'd forgotten that Doc didn't go Varsity Club until November 1988 after Steiner turned face. Damn, why in my head did I think that Mike & Rick & Doc were briefly together? :)

The Tag Titles they just blew off. Actually, the Sheep had the belts at the time, not the LE. I don't think they would have wanted the LE to lose to Arn & Tully prior to Starcade since they were doing Nikita-Terry. But it also was kind of dumb to even have them drop the titles to the Sheep at that point. Just hold it, then merge them after Starcade.

John

Can someone explain to me some fundamentals about the crowd on the All Japan 80s set?

For example, during Steamboat and Chavo vs. Mil Mascaras and Dos Caras, they seem to laugh whenever Caras does that little bow.

Sometimes they are deathly quiet, other times as hot as any times I've ever heard.

But here's the main thing: they don't seem to boo anyone. I mean in the Baba vs. Hansen matches, it's pretty clear to me that Hansen is the heel, but they still cheer him. What's the deal with this? From crowd reactions alone, almost every match on the set I've seen so far could be considered face vs. face except those involving Brody.

They were. It was maybe a couple of weeks tops.

Doc's promo explaining his joining of the Varsity Club is one of the great non-sensical promos ever. As John McAdam once said, the NWA was so overbooked at that point that they no longer ran angles to turn people, they just announced the turns.

I'm in May of 88 and stalled out a bit. The shows are still good I just hit a wrestling dry spell. Doc is a perennial Varsity Club foe. Doc is really disappointing here. I remember him being much better in Mid South and later in Japan. At this point he is like a Dollar Tree Hacksaw Duggan. But not nearly as good.

But here's the main thing: they don't seem to boo anyone. I mean in the Baba vs. Hansen matches, it's pretty clear to me that Hansen is the heel, but they still cheer him. What's the deal with this? From crowd reactions alone, almost every match on the set I've seen so far could be considered face vs. face except those involving Brody.

It's just how they were at the time. It was a "respect" deal. As long as the person entertained them in any way, whether through their workrate or gimmick or even just their earned reputation, the crowd was generally positive towards them. The only time I've seen Japanese crowds booing people in the 80s was when they're shitting on bad wrestling. For example, there was a Nasty Boys vs Tsuruta/Hansen match where the Nasties were doing a bunch of Southern cheating-and-bullying heel schtick while their wrestling itself was sub-par, and the crowd absolutely crapped all over them. Or check out any of Tom Magee's infamous matches, along the same lines.

So I'm sitting at work and it dawns on me that there was a TNA PPV tonight. Now, the only thing I even care about regarding TNA is Beer Money, but out of curiosity on what may have happened, I jump onto wikipedia to check results. I don't dare go to 411 or any site with a lot of pop ups while at work. Low and behold, there aren't results listed on Wikipedia.

Considering that Wikipedia seems to have WWE and UFC PPV match/fight by match/fight results almost the second the match/fight is over, I think it's hilarious that nearly 3 hours after the show, nobody cares enough to post them.

Meltzer's always got the results up as they happen, in a nice efficient and concise format. But I understand your larger point, and find it about equally sad and funny.

But as for Beer Money, don't hold your breath, because Robert Roode is apparently working some kind of injury angle and Storm is teaming with Alex Shelley because something something mumble mumble SWERVES HAVE IMPACT. (In fact, why the hell is Roode apparently faking an injury, anyway?)

Mick Foley lamenting that he and his family won't get free rides at universal studios because he left TNA is one of the most pathetic comments from a wrestler I've ever read

Mick should no better than to put that to print even if he feels it inside

Mick Foley lamenting that he and his family won't get free rides at universal studios because he left TNA is one of the most pathetic comments from a wrestler I've ever read

I look at it as him saying the only downside to leaving TNA is not getting free RollerCoaster rides. What's so pathetic about that?

The nicest thing he could say about TNA. People can say what they want but guys like Flair, Foley and Sting have done their best to earn their money in TNA.

Hell, Sting even went heel for awhile, and not like that blip of a heel turn in WCW that stunk, but a full fledged heel run when they did the MEM.

I look at it as him saying the only downside to leaving TNA is not getting free RollerCoaster rides. What's so pathetic about that?

I took it as the millionaire wrestler no longer gets the perks of the job while people are struggling to keep afloat

I took it as the millionaire wrestler no longer gets the perks of the job while people are struggling to keep afloat

Upon thinking about it, it actually comes off as "Guy who is well known for loving rollercoasters has nothing nice to say about TNA, except for the fact he'll miss the rides."

It's Foley being insulting without burying anyone clearly. And I'm sure he'll clarify and post about how much he admires the young talent, because of people saying "HE'Z ALL ABOUTZ THE FREE RIDEZ!" on twitter. He is overly sensitive at times.

Yeah. For a guy who usually goes out of his way to be complimentary on a wide variety of factors in every company he ever worked for, he's had remarkably few good things to say about TNA. You can already feel his early apprehension in his Countdown to Lockdown book, and that's when the company was actually pushing him and giving him some measure of creative control. I'm sure it was all downhill once Bischogan arrived.

Yeah. For a guy who usually goes out of his way to be complimentary on a wide variety of factors in every company he ever worked for, he's had remarkably few good things to say about TNA. You can already feel his early apprehension in his Countdown to Lockdown book, and that's when the company was actually pushing him and giving him some measure of creative control. I'm sure it was all downhill once Bischogan arrived.

He didnt have that much to say about anyone in TNA. He had some nice words about Sting in terms of his impact on his own career, a funny story about MCMGs influencing his child's haircut to his dismay - a call back of sorts to the same thing with Owen Hart in a previous book and a very token Dixie is a good person/boss speech.

Mick Foley lamenting that he and his family won't get free rides at Universal Studios because he left TNA is one of the most pathetic comments from a wrestler I've ever read

He was probably joking.

Wait, are people still surprised at Mick Foley's startling lack of self-awareness? Hasn't anybody read his blogs before? I have no doubt in my mind that the guy is legit bummed out that he can no longer ride the roller coasters at Universal for free and really believes he deserves sympathy for this, because if his blog has shown anything, it's that he doesn't have even a thimbleful of self-awareness and has no problem looking like a whiny baby over ridiculous shit.