Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

It just seems like a petty and nitpicky thing to attack him over. He spent a grand total of two sentences talking about the rides, in a post which stretched on for seven paragraphs. Who cares? Why does it matter? Hell, he probably spent a larger percentage of his second book Foley Is Good blabbing about roller coasters than he did in this one blog.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think ultimately TNA will just be a footnote in his career.

TNA is destined merely to be a footnote in the careers of any established star in their roster.

Sting is a major deal to TNA history, but TNA is just a footnote in Sting's. Ditto Foley, Hogan, Flair etc.

Question: is TNA the worst wrestling promotion ever to be televised internationally?

Meh, I would like to see Mick Foley return to WWE in a non-wrestling role anyway. As nit-picky about WWE as I can be, they are still infinitely better than TNA. Even being on national television, and having big name stars on the roster, TNA comes off more bush league and "indy" than any promotion I can think of. TNA is bad in every aspect: The story-telling, the wrestling, the commentary, the camera shots, the ring announcing, the refereeing, the entrances and theme music. They just completely suck.

So I say kudos to Mick for getting the fuck out of there. Even the guys that I like, such as Beer Money, all I can think is "Man, they're not bad, why are they still in TNA?"

That being said, Foley does have a tendency to come off as somewhat of a whiner. I can understand wanting to vent, but when you're a celebrity, you have to realize that things are going to be blown out of proportion and you should keep things to yourself more often.

Getting into WCW TV from 1989, and I get a kick out pf a lot of little things : the infamous Randy Hogan jobber who looked like Hogan with Savage's kneepads and boots; Dave Heath (aka Gangrel) as a young and fat jobber squashed by Abby. Despite the numerous squash matches, watching those old NWA episodes is so much fun nowadays. Great promos galore (Flair, Sullivan, RW, Cornette, Heyman), cool squashes from the Varsity Club (Sullivan was always an awesome squash match worker) and the Road Warriors, a few really good competitive matches. Why isn't wrestling like this anymore ?...

South Park said it best, You're Getting Older. *plays Landslide*

It's not even nostalgia, I had never seen those before. My knowledge of WCW pre-Nitro eras is pretty much PPV's I watched online in the last 6 years. Never saw any pre 96 Saturday Nights. I don't think it's me getting older, I think it's wrestling turning into shit in the 00's, and watching a good fresh (to me) program is much more fun than try to go through those dull as dirt WWE shows or those retarded TNA cards.

So I say kudos to Mick for getting the fuck out of there. Even the guys that I like, such as Beer Money, all I can think is "Man, they're not bad, why are they still in TNA?"

Where else are they gonna go? Guys like Foley are one thing, since he's established enough of a multimedia presence to have different employment options. And the ones like Jesse Neal or Taylor Wilde are getting paid so little that they might as well quit or retire, with only the ephemeral "exposure" being any reason to stay there. But those in the middle are pretty much stuck. Where else would Beer Money go? Japan and Mexico probably aren't realistic options, there's just not enough open spots for gaijin/gringoes now. TNA probably pays them at least as much as they'd make on the indies, if not more. So if WWE doesn't want to hire them, what are their other choices?

That's the one thing which makes me disagree with people who wish TNA would just go out of business. It is providing a paycheck for a few people who otherwise couldn't be full-time professional wrestlers. Because if you want to really be employed in this business, your options are more limited than ever. The indies don't pay, overseas isn't what it used to be, and there's essentially only one big American company in a near-monopoly of the industry.

I thought even the biggest TNA detractors were of the mind-set that "I really want it to work, but..."?

No, there are plenty of hate-fueled young smarks who literally want it to be dead and buried.

WWE has offered Roode a contract in the past but he's turned it down. I'm sure he would go there if TNA was gone.

How long ago was the offer? How much money was in the contract? Would they still want him? And would they actually do anything with him, or just use him as a jobber on Superstars and then give him the old future-endeavouring? Considering that every other guy that is churned out from FCW looks pretty much exactly like Roode in size and build, it's not like they don't have plenty of options to choose from. They're drowning in semi-talented young guys with good bodies. It really is a seller's market now with wrestling, and WWE can pretty much cherry-pick whoever they want and pay them whatever WWE wants, with the young wrestlers having absolutely no leverage.

That's the one thing which makes me disagree with people who wish TNA would just go out of business. It is providing a paycheck for a few people who otherwise couldn't be full-time professional wrestlers. Because if you want to really be employed in this business, your options are more limited than ever. The indies don't pay, overseas isn't what it used to be, and there's essentially only one big American company in a near-monopoly of the industry.

I think if Panda Energy ever did decide to throw in the towel, then someone else would take the company over. If it's WWE and the company is essentially folded, then another promotion will likely rise from its ashes. JCP spawned WCW spawned TNA. The Tri-State Wrestling Alliance spawned ECW spawned ROH. Sure, short term some people would be worse off, but long term who knows? TNA at this point is a depressing money pit and will stay that way, as Vince Russo, Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan have their claws into the power positions in the company. I'd have a lot more confidence in the industry regenerating itself if the plug was pulled by the Carters on TNA than the state we're in now.

I hope TNA goes out of business because I firmly believe it is ANTI-competition for Vince. That is to say I really believe that the shitiness of TNA leads to people excusing and/or not realizing just how bad most of the WWE writing and booking is. I seriously believe that NOTHING would be better than something in this instance.

To a certain extent we'll always love wrestling the way it was when we were 12 years old. I always preferred watching those late 80s WWF PPVs over the Attitude era.

There is some kind of comic somewhere where it talks about how everything is better when you're 12 years old. Can't seem to find it though.

I'm not sure where people like Beer Money could go other than TNA, but if people working in TNA are applying for food stamps, I doubt the pay on the Indies would be that significantly less. What does Ring of Honor pay? Is it enough to pay your bills with regularity?

What does Ring of Honor pay? Is it enough to pay your bills with regularity?

For everyone except the main eventers, I doubt it. No way that ROH pays its undercard workers a living wage. They've gotta supplement their incomes by working a bunch of other indy shows.