Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't the Divas have clauses in their contracts which say they're not allowed to get pregnant?

Doesn't seem like that could be a legal contractual clause. The WWE is not the military. It will be interesting if this is true to see how pregnant she is.

Doesn't seem like that could be a legal contractual clause. The WWE is not the military.

I thought that was a pretty common clause in longterm entertainment contracts, for things like a regular role on a television show. Along the same lines as the rules saying they can't get a new haircut or tattoos without asking permission first.

It's been out there for a while. I think I got my copy from Dan G years ago. I've seen some talk of it in the last year... I'm trying to recall if the AJPW 80's gang looked at it in the nomination process.

John

The Mania 27 buyrate is in, and WWE is reporting 1.04 million buys. It's amazing that Rock just hinting at doing something was worth hundreds of thousands of buys and millions of dollars. I don't think there's a precedent for anything like this. If they play their cards correctly next year, they should set the all-time record.

WWE writing out a wrestler who got pregnant a month into her monster buildup (before working she ever worked a match) by making fun of her emotional problems in an angle where she has a realistic panic attack is so ridiculous that it's a work of art.

They're a bunch of misogynistic bullies, that's all there is to it, really.

Thought this comment from DVDVR might amuse John:

I'm another person who actually found my way here from the Other Arena - to me, the Other Arena was like the Yale of Wrestling message boards. I wasn't smart enough to be in Yale and to hang with the ubernerds over there. So I find my way to here, and the tone of the conversation changes from 500-word essays on this, that and the other to "damn, Dick Murdoch just punched that guy right in the face. That rules!" And I'm like "ah, home."

Searching for "lucha" on the cable guide lead me to find two new shows: WWC, which is kind of sad to watch now, and what appears to be the weekly card from Arena Coliseo in Monterrey.

The Monterrey show has a ring with a dirty white canvas which makes it look like Memphis and lucha had a weird baby.

actually a pretty interesting discussion of Starrcade 95 on Scott Keith's blog. The build to the show was very strange with all the hype being done on the syndicated and weekend shows and basically nothing on Nitro. The show was also held on a Wednesday which had to hurt the number.

Of course in retrospect we know that Bischoff didn't see Starrcade as the biggest show of the year because he believed people would be distracted by the holiday season and less likely to purchase a PPV. He saw Halloween Havoc as the biggest show of the year.

But the cynic in me is thinking the hype was piss poor because Hogan wasn't on the show and he wanted to make sure the show did a poor number to trick execs into thinking he was still the man

I've just had an interesting little youtube session, looking for Zhukov vs. Garvin, I found instead Zhukov vs. Volkoff, which soon linked me on to Volkoff's 1994/5 run in DiBiase's Million Dollar Corporation. I then watched a bunch of random corporation stuff from that time.

A few questions / comments:

1. The cent gimmick was HARSH on Volkoff and to my knowledge, there was never any blow off for him. Any reason to totally humiliate a guy like that? I mean, sure, he'd have been glad just to be working in 1994, but really no need to reduce him, especially if he never gets to repudiate himself.

2. I was thinking about the Million Dollar Corporation in general. On paper, it was a great idea, but it fundamentally didn't work for the following reasons:

- First of all, all the heat was on DiBiase. Didn't matter if you were Volkoff, IRS, Tatanka, Bam Bam, Bundy, or whoever, you were just a dude in a big stable and all the heat was for the manager

- I guess that would be ok, but DiBiase was injured and therefore unable to take any bumps at all -- therefore, there was never a time when he'd get his big comeuppence, never a blow off to any of the feuds

- So you've got all the heat and practically all the storylines focused on someone who cannot be hit

- Finally, they never got any big wins, like ever, so being in the corporation, rather than being something to be feared, was more like being put in some sort of JTTS graveyard

I think it COULD have worked, if DiBiase had been able to take bumps. But as it was, it was never going to work unless he became much more like a "normal" manager enhancing stars rather than being the star enhanced by a rogues gallery of minions.

I guess they got this right a few years later.

Something I always wondered when watching that angle play out: Nikolai was supposed to be down on his luck and poor to the point he wore the same suit all the time, yet he had ringside tickets to WWF shows?

Few things that struck me as amazing watching WWE 24/7 today:

- Watching Sting on the post Starrcade 87 episode of World Championship Wrestling and thinking here we are 23 (!) years later and he's champion of the #2 company in the US.

- Why did they have a big angle unifying the NWA and UWF TV titles and nothing else? Sure, the Lightning Express vs Arn/Tully might not have gone over since the LE were mostly seen as jobbers by the JCP fans, but the matches would have been good. Doc vs Flair may not have been a mat classic but I don't see 1987 Flair having a bad match with anyone. At least a unification match would have been a better storyline for Starrcade than giving poor Ronnie a lame duck run. Also the TV title angle was kind of sad because it's pretty much the last time Nikita gave a shit in wrestling, since soon his wife would be sick and he morphed into the crewcut, off-cycle version of Nikita that had zero heat.

- Watching Konnan on Nitro from 1998 come out and run through his catchphrases (that were already getting repetitive and annoying). Now he's more or less running the show in the biggest non WWE promotion in the world.

- Same episode of Nitro, they have a backstage pull apart between the Giant and Kevin Greene. The Horsemen are holding back Greene and we get the rare un-editable Chris Benoit appearance. The brawl set up the main event, and it was a show long angle that would have made it impossible to follow if it was removed completely (insert WCW joke here). I wonder if WWE realizes deleting all mention of him only makes it that much more jarring when he does pop up on a show. In fact, having been watching the Monday Night War series you'd think the Horsemen don't exist in 1998 WCW since all their segments get edited out. I know the debate is beyond whatever 10 steps past beating a dead horse is, but I just read the results from the original show and saw it featured a Bret Hart-Benoit match that (considering the match before had a long audio dropout) you can assume will never see the light of day again. I think my OCD towards completeness is starting to overwhelm my internet need to stay forever mad at Benoit. Having just typed all that, Benoit just came out in a Mongo vs Stevie Ray match (Benoit/Mongo vs Harlem Heat was a feud at the time). Audio still was cut out, so I guess that's how they're going to address future episodes of Nitro where editing him out completely is impossible. I guess it makes me a bad person, but just stop with the edits already and just donate the proceeds from any video residuals to the family.