Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Dylan would go back to his old avatar. When I read people's posts, I tend to imagine them speaking through their avatars (Loss as Flair, jdw as Kawada, Jerry as Sean Mooney, etc.). I'd rather visualize Dylan as Terry Funk than Frenchy Martin.

I changed it as a birthday gift to Musgrave.

I find your Martin avatar creepy as shit for some reason. :)

I wish Dylan would go back to his old avatar. When I read people's posts, I tend to imagine them speaking through their avatars (Loss as Flair, jdw as Kawada, Jerry as Sean Mooney, etc.). I'd rather visualize Dylan as Terry Funk than Frenchy Martin.

I changed it as a birthday gift to Musgrave.

I find your Martin avatar creepy as shit for some reason. :)

It is creepy as shit

I understand that Exposer, I just hate the pretentiousness of them including guys like The Genius AS IF they were watching or have even watched 92-era WWF.

Who are they trying to kid? Who are they impressing? What point is it trying to prove?

It's the equivalent of my coming up with a top 100 film list and including films I've not even seen on it because I happen to have seen the AFI have it in their top 10.

I mean it's painfully obvious from the little paragraphs included that, when it comes to anyone from pre-Attitude era WWF, the chap writing this is posing rather than speaking from experience of not liking someone.

It's something that really rankles with me. Not the fact of who it is aimed at, but the fact of fraudulently putting together these lists when the knowledge clearly isn't there.

Why do you care? Bleacher Report is generally regarded as one of the worst sites on the web, existing solely to generate google hits

I care because it's a fountain of misinformation.

I care because there's a chance that 1,500 young WWE fans now think The Genius is the 2nd worst manager in history.

I care because it feels like noise that drowns out better-informed opinions from people like the DVDR guys and many of the guys with columns and things who post here.

I care because I'm a wrestling fan and I don't like to see the perpetuation of inauthentic and shallow views.

Eek. If that's the case you must think I spend way to much time in the sun.

I understand that Exposer, I just hate the pretentiousness of them including guys like The Genius AS IF they were watching or have even watched 92-era WWF.

Who are they trying to kid? Who are they impressing? What point is it trying to prove?

It's the equivalent of my coming up with a top 100 film list and including films I've not even seen on it because I happen to have seen the AFI have it in their top 10.

I mean it's painfully obvious from the little paragraphs included that, when it comes to anyone from pre-Attitude era WWF, the chap writing this is posing rather than speaking from experience of not liking someone.

It's something that really rankles with me. Not the fact of who it is aimed at, but the fact of fraudulently putting together these lists when the knowledge clearly isn't there.

Why do you care? Bleacher Report is generally regarded as one of the worst sites on the web, existing solely to generate google hits

I care because it's a fountain of misinformation.

I care because there's a chance that 1,500 young WWE fans now think The Genius is the 2nd worst manager in history.

I care because it feels like noise that drowns out better-informed opinions from people like the DVDR guys and many of the guys with columns and things who post here.

I care because I'm a wrestling fan and I don't like to see the perpetuation of inauthentic and shallow views.

My favorite part of this whole temper tantrum is that the Genius sucked.

The condescension I can ignore, but you leave the Genius alone.

He's the 25th best WWE manager of all time, at least according to this slide show:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/top25/top-25-managers/page-2

Joking aside, I think the Genius was really good at what he did. Got good heat. Decent on the mic. Unique gimmick. Great bumps. What's not to like evilclown? He's certaintly not the 2nd worst manager of all time.

The condescension I can ignore, but you leave the Genius alone.

He's the 25th best WWE manager of all time, at least according to this slide show:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/top25/top-25-managers/page-2

Joking aside, I think the Genius was really good at what he did. Got good heat. Decent on the mic. Unique gimmick. Great bumps. What's not to like evilclown? He's certaintly not the 2nd worst manager of all time.

He suffers, at a base level, because he was a JTTS for the WWF for so long before getting the gimmick. Most fans at the time, self included, could not look past that when watching him as a manager.

I liked the gimmick, but it would have been infinitely better if he had been named "The Genius" right out of the gate when he arrived in the WWF circa 84-85. When you see Hogan and Beefcake teaming against Hennig and Poffo circa 1991, for example, it didn't feel like it could be a "competitive" matchup since the Genius had just spent several years losing to pretty much everyone.

Plus his schtick on the mic was pretty much just "evil" Leaping Lanny, where the regular, poetry-reading Lanny was a dead gimmick a long time before that.

Lots of potential for Poffo to excel in the role, but it happened too late.

Plays to a pair of wrestling fan insecurities:

* the fact that they're fans of two guys in speedos rolling around on a mat

* that smart people thought wrestling was fake and stupid

There's a long history of gay / feminine heels. There also was a long history of smart / snob heels looking down their noses at fans. Add them together, presto.

John

Watching CMLL every week, it's really amazing how great Negro Casas still is at age 53. He can go from doing comedy teaming with Mr. Niebla to having serious main event matches for whatever they call the old NWA titles now that are top notch.

Guest Nell Santucci

Here's something that should put a smile on everyone's face: Bret Hart says that HHH is overrated and has never had a great match.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/0...-him-overrated/

"I think Paul is a little overrated. He's overrated for being great. I can't sit here and tell you that I can name one match that I ever thought that he ever had with anybody that was great. Good. . .a lot of good matches. And that's kind of a shame. He should have a great match. . .somewhere, with somebody. And you'd think he would of had it by now, and I don't think he's a great wrestler. . .and that's just my thought on it."

Owned

Fuck me. I was typing too fast and deleted my entire post. I'll give a brief rundown of what I saw at tonight's RAW house show in Chattanooga and elaborate on the three really good matches.

Zack Ryder vs. Connor O'Brien - Decent but O'Brien looked lost at times. Ryder took a great bump early on. He won with the Rough Ryder.

Tensai vs. Alex Riley- Tensai was face and Riley heel. I kind of like Tensai as a face, he's really enjoyable. Vickie asked for a dance contest. We got that and the match. Tensai won the dance contest and two straight matches with the running senton.

Kaitlyn vs. Tamina Snuka (WWE Diva's Title) - This was passable. Kaitlyn at one point rammed Tamina into Justin Roberts which was fucking hilarious. Kaitlyn hit the spear and retained.

Team Hell No vs. The Shield (Ambrose/Rollins) (WWE Tag Title) - I was in the upper deck and during Hell No's entrance fans above me were scurrying down the steps with their phones out presumably hoping to get a photo or video of the Shield milling around the concessions and merch tables. That was a neat sight to see. Of course, the Shield came through the crowd and Reigns is playing enforcer so Ambrose and Rollins are taking the workload. The match started in a mini-brawl then went straight to the face shine. Ambrose sold a Kane uppercut tremendously. I really like Hell No's face shine. I think they have good chemistry. They did the surfboard/dropkick combo on Rollins which I love. Bryan ended up FIP which ruled. Ambrose was given the rule of cutting him off which he was excellent at. There were some really strong hope spots in here. The Shield hit a cool double team move on Bryan. Ambrose had him in a surfboard and Rollins followed up with a second rope knee to the chest. That ruled. The crowd went nuts when Bryan finally tagged Kane. Ambrose was awesome here flopping around and selling off the hot tag. Kane tried a chokeslam on Rollins to potentially get the win but Reigns interfered and hit a spear causing a DQ. There was a fun post-match brawl which saw Hell No come out on top. Afterwards, Bryan demanded an apology from Kane about not saving him from the Rumble. Kane refused which ignited a shoving match. This resulted in Bryan striking Kane only to have Kane request a hug in return. Bryan gave in and hugged Kane and the crowd erupted which was really fun. This had a strong southern tag feel which Ambrose and Bryan excelled at. Both teams work well together and had a really good tag match.

Jack Swagger vs. Justin Gabriel - This was average. Swagger looked disinterested and I was too. I fell asleep a few times. They traded a few big moves for near falls towards the end and Swagger won with a gut wrench powerbomb/ankle lock combo. Swagger wasn't all that exciting. This was no more than solid.

Antonio Cesaro vs. The Miz (No DQ U.S. Title) - Holy shit this was AWESOME. Cesaro cut an amusing pre-match promo but this match was incredibly great. It's the second best match this year so far in WWE only behind the Del Rio-Show title switch. And I actually think they're a close one and two. This had everything you'd want and more out of modern WWE No DQ match. Cesaro gained the advantage early and used the weapons terrifically. He whipped Miz's ass with a kendo stick then broke it with his bare hands and tossed it. AWESOME. Miz kept going for comebacks but Cesaro would get him with a kendo shot or a stiff uppercut. Cesaro got a chair and laid it across Miz then did the double stomp. FUCKING AWESOME. At another point, Cesaro cut Miz off with the END of the kendo stick to the face. Then grinded it in his mush. God, Cesaro fucking rules. Man, there was so much good shit in this. Miz finally got a breather and won a race for the kendo stick. He fucking CRACKED Cesaro with the kendo stick multiple times THEN SWUNG IT LIKE A BASEBALL BAT HITTING A BASEBALL FULL SPEED TO THE SIDE OF CESARO'S FACE UNPROTECTED. HOLY SHIT!!!! These stiff beatings were followed by "oohs" and "aahs" similar to Finlay-Regal 96. The finishing run was fantastic with both guys stiffing one another Cesaro throwing sickening uppercuts. There were two false finishes that just blew me away here. The first was Miz missing a charge and hitting a chair FULL ON HEAD FIRST UNPROTECTED in the turnbuckle. I thought for sure the match was over but he kicked out. They sold all the big moves really well in here and went back and forth. Cesaro hit his mid-air uppercut which looked like it connected tonight for another near fall. Then, the second HOLY SHIT near fall was Miz kicking out of a running powerslam into a corner table. Cesaro sells the impact before taking the cover which I loved but man I thought that was it too. Cesaro's reaction was awesome here as he just flipped his shit. Miz got a small package for a really close call before Cesaro hit a nasty ass SNAP NEUTRALIZER that looked like it hurt like shit to retain. My God, this was great. Miz is whatever but did his part enough and man Cesaro might be the best guy in the company and maybe earth so far. It's only been a month but he's been tremendous. This ruled on every level. A zillion stars.

John Cena/Ryback vs. CM Punk/Dolph Ziggler - Wow. Ryback was outstanding in this match. I mean his selling was phenomenal. No, I'm not kidding. His FIP segment was absolutely awesome. Punk and Ziggler are a fun team here just dicking around and creating all sorts of tomfoolery. Big E. and A.J. are out there and Punk would occasionally high five A.J. and shit. Amusing. Also, pre-match Punk took a chair and griped at a fan. Then started hitting the ropes and ring post with the chair for no reason. God, he's great live. Dolph kept dodging Cena and dancing around and shit. Soon enough Punk and Ryback got in and had a great exchange. Punk sold Ryback's offense awesomely. Cene came back in and played FIP for a brief period and was good as always at it. Ryback got the hot tag and took Ziggler down with the meat hook clothesline. He then got a hold of Punk but turned around and sold Ziggler's superkick like death. What a sell by Ryback. Goddamn he was great in this. Punk kicked him again later in a hope spot and Ryback sold it like a champ too. Punk was great here finding all sorts of cunning ways to keep Ryback down while still being able to mock Cena and the crowd. Punk starting hitting top rope ax handles which Ryback sold to perfection by stumbling to his hands and knees. On the third one he caught Punk and rammed him into the turnbuckle. He went for his clothesline possibly but got caught with a heel kick from Punk. Terrific hope spot. Punk put on a front facelock and Ryback starting to smash his fist on the ground which started like the seventh awesome "FEED ME MORE" chant. Man he was over. He was so close to getting the tag but the ref missed it because of a distraction from Dolph. Ryback took out both Punk and Dolph but Big E. came in and hit Ryback with his move while an upset Cena was distracting the referee. Ryback was great selling the impact of the move. Big E. and A.J. were tossed out by the ref which got huge pops and then Ryback finally managed to tag Cena. Unfortunately, Ziggler got "the five moves of doom" treatment and took the fall but this for the most part was a really awesome tag match. Ryback was incredible in this all around. His selling was shockingly great. Awesome performance and Punk was a treat too.

Overall this was a really fun show and three matches delivered tremendously. It's probably the best WWE show I've been to in years.

I went to a houseshow here in ATX recently and was impressed with Ryback's whole presentation . His selling in the main event was really good. Punk was great live and carried a lot of the stuff with his stooging and schtick in general.

The Cesaro/ Miz match was done well. Cesaro was really good at manipulating the crowds reactions. Like teasing what we wanted, but not giving it to us until he was ready for it.