Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Not for nothing, but Alberto Del Rio is a really great babyface.

I agree. I thought he'd be a disaster as a face. I think Ricardo helps as people were really wanting to start cheering him.

I worry that he's going down the Sheamus path, though. A little too jokey-jokey.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea if Verne Gagne's 1992/93 Sumo U.S. Tour actually got off the ground? I see numerous articles in the newspaper archives promoting it, but no results.

KHawk?

Never heard of it until now. Sounds...bizarre.

He apparently signed at least 2 Viking lineman to participate, including Pro Bowler Gary Zimmerman

I was just doing a little google image search for Frenchy Martin (yes, to double check that's him in Dylan's avatar), when I stumbled on this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1010944...ds-ever/page/25

This is what I don't like about Bleacher Report lists like this. The Genius is obviously not the second worst WWE manager of all time ... hell, he probably isn't bottom 25 and I object to him being called an "ineffectual buffoon prancing behind [Mr. Perfect]" Do the guys who write these things put any thought into it at all? Did they even watch the product at that time? It always comes off as something they've just come up with after reading a Wiki entry and watching 20 seconds on youtube, if that.

Frenchy Martin is at 21 by the way. My lasting image of him is doing the shaking leg KO sell for the Garvin stomp.

Disappointed not to see Paul Ellering with a puppet circa 92 in there.

Then I see that there's 55 comments and every single one of them is about Vickie Guerrero and it all makes sense.

Why bother trying to pretend then? Why not make the list from 96 onwards or something? I find it really irritating.

BR is predominantly a destination for "WWE fans." Anything the majority of those writers put out there is pretty biased and one dimensional.

I understand that Exposer, I just hate the pretentiousness of them including guys like The Genius AS IF they were watching or have even watched 92-era WWF.

Who are they trying to kid? Who are they impressing? What point is it trying to prove?

It's the equivalent of my coming up with a top 100 film list and including films I've not even seen on it because I happen to have seen the AFI have it in their top 10.

I mean it's painfully obvious from the little paragraphs included that, when it comes to anyone from pre-Attitude era WWF, the chap writing this is posing rather than speaking from experience of not liking someone.

It's something that really rankles with me. Not the fact of who it is aimed at, but the fact of fraudulently putting together these lists when the knowledge clearly isn't there.

Those lists are pretty terrible. I swear they get a lot of their "knowledge" from watching WWE Classics and DVDs. It's the only conceivable reason they make these kinds of lists. To be fair to BR though, it's a pretty decent sight for "inside news" but the opinions are totally ridiculous.

Thank you internet for the randomness that is stuff like this

I think this is probably Wahoo's APW, which would be one of the top 5 absurd 90s indies that I used to love getting tapes of but noone will ever revisit. Hamrick, Michaels, and Ron Killings all worked there. They had a skinny old guy working a Red Headed Stranger gimmick. They normally had one guy as top Native American gimmicked face, and one guy as top heel Native American and at least once did a double Native American turn.

I wish Dylan would go back to his old avatar. When I read people's posts, I tend to imagine them speaking through their avatars (Loss as Flair, jdw as Kawada, Jerry as Sean Mooney, etc.). I'd rather visualize Dylan as Terry Funk than Frenchy Martin.

COSIGN. I also can't take anything Sean Mooney says remotely seriously.

Bleacher Report has ruined the internet. You can't run a search for best anything without hitting their poorly researched lists, and their use of the one item per page advertising model has been copied ad nauseum. It contributes nothing of substance and buries anything else worthwhile.

I wish Dylan would go back to his old avatar. When I read people's posts, I tend to imagine them speaking through their avatars (Loss as Flair, jdw as Kawada, Jerry as Sean Mooney, etc.). I'd rather visualize Dylan as Terry Funk than Frenchy Martin.

:)

I never got the complaint about the slideshows, at least specific to BR, or blaming them for slideshows becoming popular. When sites divide regular articles into multiple pages for no reason? Sure. But at BR, each new slide loads instantly and they're only used for content that fits the format.

Also, I'll let you in on the dirty little secret about slideshows: They're NOT programmed because of ad impression models. They're programmed because they're popular.

What stats tell you that the slideshows are popular? Clickthrough rates?

I don't blame BR for them, but I have always hated them. I'd prefer all the info on just one page, maybe 2-3 for a long article.

A paper-thin article on the bottom 25 WWE managers should not take 27 clicks of my mouse. I don't mind scrolling down.

Are the 1,500 "reads" that article has had because everyone who has looked through it has to hit it at least 27 times? Are they because if you google "WWE managers" it's in the first 5 pages of google, as all BR articles seem to be?

I just wonder what "popularity" really means in this context.

Bleacher Report has ruined the internet. You can't run a search for best anything without hitting their poorly researched lists, and their use of the one item per page advertising model has been copied ad nauseum. It contributes nothing of substance and buries anything else worthwhile.

Do a search on Deadspin.com for Bleacher Report. Someone in there should be a walkthrough on how to block Bleacher Report "articles" from coming up when you do a search.

What stats tell you that the slideshows are popular? Clickthrough rates?

I don't blame BR for them, but I have always hated them. I'd prefer all the info on just one page, maybe 2-3 for a long article.

A paper-thin article on the bottom 25 WWE managers should not take 27 clicks of my mouse. I don't mind scrolling down.

Are the 1,500 "reads" that article has had because everyone who has looked through it has to hit it at least 27 times? Are they because if you google "WWE managers" it's in the first 5 pages of google, as all BR articles seem to be?

I just wonder what "popularity" really means in this context.

Each slide is not counted as a new read.

Also, at least on BR, the arrow keys can be used instead of clicking.

List content gets a ton of eyeballs EVERYWHERE. Slideshows are encouraged at BR because it's our mechanism for list content and most people eat it up.

Trust me, if it was all a traffic manipulation scheme like Scherer dividing his updates up I wouldn't be defending it, I'd just keep quiet.

I understand that Exposer, I just hate the pretentiousness of them including guys like The Genius AS IF they were watching or have even watched 92-era WWF.

Who are they trying to kid? Who are they impressing? What point is it trying to prove?

It's the equivalent of my coming up with a top 100 film list and including films I've not even seen on it because I happen to have seen the AFI have it in their top 10.

I mean it's painfully obvious from the little paragraphs included that, when it comes to anyone from pre-Attitude era WWF, the chap writing this is posing rather than speaking from experience of not liking someone.

It's something that really rankles with me. Not the fact of who it is aimed at, but the fact of fraudulently putting together these lists when the knowledge clearly isn't there.

Why do you care? Bleacher Report is generally regarded as one of the worst sites on the web, existing solely to generate google hits