Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if I don't feel like watching wrestling, or am watching something else on TV but not quite feeling it, I can always count on stopping here and finding something worthwhile to look at. One of my favorite sites.

I second this. I like logging into a wrestling board and not having to sift through a few dozen threads each day full of teenagers pining for the "Attitude era".

I just want to say I think this board has hit a pretty good stride in the last month or so, especially with the wrestler analysis in the Microscope and the podcasts. Keep it up guys.

I was saying that to Dylan a week or two ago. This place has been great lately.

The last segment on Raw tonight was dreadful. Just turn Cena heel already so he can get some new material, that shit tonight was so bad.

Backlund's HoF speech could be interesting.

I was thinking the same thing about Cena, once again it was amazing how the franchise guy was once again portrayed as an out of touch fool. He comes across as someone's cornball father trying to sound hip.

Also I'm looking forward to Backlund going in the HOF just to see how many times Dave implies he's legit retarded between now and then.

Best part of this from my perspective is that when Classics on Demand does his HOF month, they may have an unseen match or two to show us from the vault.

We can hope, anyway. They did pull that Backlund-Valentine 1 hour draw out of nowhere a few years back for something.

They couldn't get Bruno so they put Backlund in. Nice.

Not that this sort of cynicism is unwarranted, but it wouldn't shock me if Backlund was on the planned list this year all along.

Maybe Backlund finally gave up the idea that he had one more run still in him. I recall reading that he has "refused" induction previously for that reason.

Not that this sort of cynicism is unwarranted, but it wouldn't shock me if Backlund was on the planned list this year all along.

Maybe Backlund finally gave up the idea that he had one more run still in him. I recall reading that he has "refused" induction previously for that reason.

I remember J.R. talking about having a meeting with Backlund at the end of his time as Head of Talent Relations where Backlund came in to his office and told him everything he does to stay in shape every day and told him he wanted to have another run. J.R. made it sound like he believed Backlund was in shape enough to still do it but that it wasn't something he wanted to push further up the chain.

Backlund's name has been rumoured as a likely inductee since last August. I don't think they've given up the ghost yet with Bruno either.

Best part of this from my perspective is that when Classics on Demand does his HOF month, they may have an unseen match or two to show us from the vault.

We can hope, anyway. They did pull that Backlund-Valentine 1 hour draw out of nowhere a few years back for something.

It would be interesting to take a look at the MSG and Philly era and see what might be missing as desert island matches. Just looking at some earlier ones...

05/22/78 MSG: Ken Patera

That would be really interesting.

09/16/78 Spectrum: Billy Graham (Sicilian Stretcher Match)

Out there in poor quality. I thought it was the best Graham match that I've seen... but I tend to hate everything Graham did, so it's a low standard.

10/14/78 Spectrum: Victor Rivera

Rivera-Inoki is good mat stuff until Inoki ends it abruptly. Seeing him go 16 with Bob would be interesting, more in terms of seeing what Victor could do than Bob.

11/18/78 Spectrum: Crusher Blackwell

That would be interesting to see.

02/17/79 Spectrum: Ivan Koloff (Cage)

MSG got the Maivia cage match, but I'd rather see Bob with Ivan in a cage.

07/02/79 MSG Patterson

Their first match, given a good amount of time to work together. They had some mediocre matches, and I've never thought a ton of the cage match. But they did have one good one that I've seen, and would like to see their first.

06/16/80 MSG Larry Zbyszko

Not super in love with their Philly matches. This was earlier, and longer.

08/23/81 MSG Muraco

The 60:00 MSG match.

02/15/82 MSG Adonis

Their Texas Death match. Shorter than their earlier one in MSG, this is probably similar to their Landover spot-a-thon.

08/02/82 MSG Bob Orton

That might be the one that I want to see the most. 23+ minutes. Their Philly matches were solid, but a little rushed and Bob-sided. More time to work, this would be interesting.

04/25/83 MSG Koloff

Their 1983 Spectrum match was horrid and sloppy. I'd be interested to see if it was just one where they were off.

06/17/83 MSG Slaughter

Their first MSG match that year was quite good. Would like to see if they sustained it.

So if I could pick there, it would be in this order:

1. 08/02/82 MSG Bob Orton

2. 11/18/78 Spectrum: Crusher Blackwell

3. 08/23/81 MSG Muraco

John

So I'm watching Frontline on PBS and they are talking about Wall Street and Mortgage fraud. One of the people they are interviewing turns out to be WCW's Chris Cruise. All I can thinking about watching it is Cruise with Dusty on WCW Prime dressed as the New Year's Baby. Thanks a lot Matt D