Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

I like Cheeseburger on the card. It's good to have a comedy match especially since it's much different than the rest of the matches usually on a ROH card. Him, Beer City Buiser, Romantic Touch types are necessary . Though in regard to Memphis Marks point you really at most only want 2 matches at most with those guys on the card.

Did the Bob Evans killing Cheeseburger angle air yet?
Bob Evans better have a breakfast food gimmick. That's why he attacked Cheeseburger . It's breakfast vs. lunch.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the Nashville show. Cheeseburger worked a 4 way with Whitmer, Young and Moose. The kid is really small. It looks really bad for Delirious to book this kid. Cheeseburger walked by me at intermission. I would say he is a legimate 5 ' 6 " and 160 lbs. He looks like a small child. Yes , the three others had to sell for Cheeseburger .

There is no way Cheeseburger is 160. I'm 5'10" 165 and there's just no chance he's close to my weight. I'd guess 130. I will agree that people selling for his offense is ridiculous since his offense looks mostly bad.

I think this week's TV was great with the Liger-Castle match being so much fun (I loved it live). Evans killing Cheeseburger with a piledriver through a table was insanity. I want to see a Fight Without Honor between the two.

I liked the spot and thought it worked as I didn't see it coming, but it was a sideslam through a table. That's a big difference.

I was there live and it was hard to see anything below the ring, so in my memory it was a piledriver. A sideslam is awesome too, though.

Dalton Castle is the future of wrestling or at least should be.

I don't like him as Ashley Remington. There's something about that gimmick that holds him back in Chikara.

Funnily enough, I don't really care much for the Dalton Castle gimmick, but I love Ashley Remington.

6/13: Decade/War Machine segment was OK. Whitmer's believable in the role, and I've never liked him more. Two weeks ago I compared him to closeted banker luring Colby into his S&M basement. This week it came off more as closeted cop antagonizing bearded Occupy Wall Street anarchists for whom he quietly yearns. Hansen and Rowe are badass, but the match was too repetitive to Moose's squash two weeks ago. A storyline like this is tough in that you only have a few mins every other week. It's cool to be able to stretch it out for months and earn the big payoff of the Corinos fighting back. But you need to make the segments count and add something new each time, rather than repeat the same routine. Feud needs a pre-taped segment of Colby getting mauled in a tavern brawl that starts after Adam Page unsuccessfully roofies the barkeep's wife. You know, to cleanse the palette.

Moose-Alexander started mediocre, but got very good at the end. Initially I thought Moose was kind of exposed: when working even, competitive stuff, it seemed like he hadn't yet figured out selling, working as a base, or even really taking much of an opponent's offense. Would like him to work more as a giant than as a guy trying to imitate everyone else's aerial moveset. But the finish really improved it, and the story they told accomplished several different things in one moment. Smart booking.

Naito is one of the ugliest guys in the business. Louie Anderson's face with Carol Burnett's hair. I liked his flurry of leg sweeps in the corner, but his other offense sucked, and doing that “eye-popping” mannerism a hundred times was terrible. Corino saying the same was amusing. I never buy Naito as a star on any level, and this was no different. Tanahashi was OK, but you can tell that injuries are catching up to him. Weird dynamic in that they were trying to be heels and it wasn't working. Sydal botching ridiculous spots and putting zero force into his strikes suggests that tripping balls in Fitzcarraldo country hasn't helped his work. “Regressed” Matt Sydal is more like it. ACH looked good, and there were times where he the glue holding it together by getting guys back into position and controlling the pacing of spots – young guy keeping three veterans in check. Crowd chanting got tedious, but that's almost to be expected in a match like this. This badly exposed the NJ duo outside of their bubble.

Dean Ambrose does a pretty funny Nigel impression, and during the whole contract signing I found myself wishing there was some way for Ambrose to portray the role of Nigel on ROH TV. They're about the same size nowadays. McGuinness is often mocked online lately, but he really did come off as a goon with no mic skills here, or at least no clue of what to say. Also: couldn't quite tell, but was that a mechanical pencil? Who signs a contract in mechanical pencil? Are they gonna run a Dusty finish where Truth Martini has subtly erased Lethal's name from the contract to render it null and void? If this is the biggest match in company history, they should be signing with a bald eagle feather dipped into a giant inkwell. Still, they did a good job and it came off better than most signings on the strength of Lethal's promo.

Unless he's dominating precious television time, then I see no problem with featuring a sideshow act like Cheeseburger. He's something different to spice up the card. It's comedy. Whether it's what appeals to the niche or not, it's something ROH needs to take into account if they ever have a hope in hell of expanding or growing. I'm glad they've recognized that.

Variety is key on keeping ANY pro wrestling card interesting. What's the harm in having a comedy program for Cheeseburger? They're sprinkling in serious elements with the big bumps & table spots, which could honestly lead to something fun as an end product. I don't see the need for getting all upset over it, to be brutally honest.

But, like the Wee-L-C and everything else, it's going to have the people who actively enjoy it & those who blast it. Not for everybody, and that's fine.

Cheeseburger is lucky to get one segment in a 4-hour TV taping block. The last time he was on TV before this past week was March (from a January taping). BUT - he's over, it isn't like he's coming out to a Michael Elgin-esque crowd reaction. I can see the talking point with the timing of the move to Destination America, but then they went out and Brutal Bob looks like a complete prick putting the kid through a table for a no contest.

I respectfully disagree Dylan. Whilst he's on main TV it brings down the product.

I honestly don't see how. He's a comedic figure and is presented that way. He's barely a t.v. presence at all. He doesn't get pushed.

I like variety show wrestling. To me the absolute low point of ROH was a few years back when the show was filled with guys who worked exactly the same. The fact that it was a shitty style made it even worse, but it was the sameness that really made it suck.

I can see not being into Cheeseburger, but really don't see how he hurts the shows. It's not like he's Elgin.

Dark Six Man Tag Team: ???, Austin Blackburn & Everett Connors defeat ???, Black Baron & Kirk Stallion...

ROH World Television Title #1 Contendership Three Way: Samson Walker defeats Corey Hollis and Mike Posey...

The Kingdom (Matt Taven & Michael Bennett) (w/Maria Kanellis) defeat Danny Adams & Paco Gonzalez...

Adam Page (w/BJ Whitmer) defeats Will Ferrara...

Four Corner Survival: Moose defeats BJ Whitmer (w/Adam Page) and Cheeseburger and Silas Young...

Roderick Strong defeats Dalton Castle...

ROH World Television Title: Jay Lethal (w/Truth Martini) © defeats Samson Walker...

ODB defeats The Romantic Touch by DQ...

Michael Elgin defeats Matt Sydal...

Four Corner Survival Tag Team: The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian) defeat The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) and The Kingdom (Matt Taven & Michael Bennett) (w/Maria Kanellis) and War Machine (Hanson & Ray Rowe)...

Looking at this card, it's a bit light because so much of the talent is working the main event. But it's also 2-3 matches longer than most Ring of Honor shows.

The opening six man is nothing, just some local guys warming the crowd up.

In the three way, you have Hollis & Posey who have worked a lot of southern ROH shows and are "names" for the area. Not sure what the story is with Samson getting the win and the match with Lethal. He's not really a name, but he's got some size and maybe they just wanted an excuse to get a look at him against Lethal later in the show.

Kingdom tag match was likely a squash. Adams and Paco are both midwest guys who can be really fun, but they are both small and green, so I'm sure it was a jobber tv tag.

Page is an established guy, and Ferrara is a trainee that has been elevated to a regular. Both are smaller, but both are good.

Cheeseburger is popular, and was playing the tiny dude in the ring with three established hosses. Total comedy spot, and gives them someone to throw around.

Castle and Romantic Touch are regulars, though neither are big names.

I mean... I can see the complaint, but it's largely just part of going to a TV taping. A couple TV main events with name guys, and then feature matches against local guys/trainees/young guys.

Spike was awesome, though. A really fun worker and super charismatic. Cheeseburger hasn't shown that much.

How does he hurt the show though?

How does he benefit the show? Not a good wrestler, not a good promo, he's just wasting time whenever he's out there. You comparing him to Spike is ridiculous.

ROH has Dalton Castle, Romantic Touch and the Beer City Bruiser who can all do comedy much better than Cheeseburger. Other than CB paying to go to their training school, there's no good reason for him to be on television.

Am I going to quit watching ROH because he's there? No. He's instant fast-forward time though.

I'm watching the ROH 5/30/15 from Oklahoma City

Caprice Coleman vs Dirty Andy Dalton

Dalton is a really good worker who works the Texas Indy scene. He had a really good match at the Inspire Pro Show with ACH. I hope he gets a spot in ROH. He's a guy who can have a good match with anyone. He's a really good heel who generates heat. I think he'd bring a different element to the roster. Here they have a real solid opener. Nothing off the charts, but good solid wrestling. 2 1/2*

M. Briscoe vs Tavern vs Rowe

I thought this was a fun bout. They did a great job of getting Rowe over as a killer. Taven was good bumping and flying around. Briscoe was his usual awesome self. A real fun sprint. 2 1/2*

Silas Young vs Romantic Touch

This has some fun comedy going for it. Solid match overall. 1 3/4*

Hanson vs Whitmer vs Bennett

This had basic psychology of the heels working together to get heat on Hanson. They finally turn on one another. It allows a Hanson comeback. 2 1/2*

Roderick Strong vs Will Ferrara

This is a fun hierarchy match. Ferrara is awesome at the start. Mixing in some strikes, a Code Red, and a big dive. Strong takes control with some nice work on the back. Strong's Octopus looking back breaker was nasty looking. Ferrara gets some seperation and knocks Strong to the floor and follows uo with a tope' into a spinning DDT on the floor. Some more offense from Ferrara. Ferrara's back is still hurting from the work done on it. Strong back on top. A great nearfall by Ferrara. Another Code Red for a nearfall. A super fun match. 3 1/4*

Dalton Castle vs. Michael Elgin

I'm pretty sure most people know my disdain for Elgin. Easily in my top 3 most overrated this year. Castle in my top 3 most charismatic. I like what Elgin does to start. This is a real spirited Elgin performance. Castle makes a fun comeback with some nice high spots. I'm hating the no sell German spots Fuck you Elgin for those.. 2 1/2*

ACH vs Adam Cole

Dueling chants to start. ACH shine early. Cole with a funny swerve to the crowd Cole puts the boots to ACH. Cole using a headlock to ground ACH. ACH on the comeback trail. Some back and forth action. A lot of fun action The Figure 4 was a good spot that added to the drama. They build to a super fun match. 3 1/2*

Jay Lethal vs Mark Briscoe

Lethal stalls out to start. Briscoe and Lethal fighting on the floor.Briscoe in control in the ring. Lethal cuts him off and works a basic shine sequence. I love lethal grabbing the guy dressed as Randy Savage and stomping on his hat. I thought the rear naked choke was a great counter to the Lethal Injection. I enjoyed the finish. 2 3/4*

Jay Briscoe vs Hanson

A real fight feel off the bat with punches . Both guys teeing off at each other. I'm loving how the violence is escalating. Hanson with some nasty cross forearms across the face. Jay fights back and delivers a Yakuza kick to take control. Hanson clubberin Jay. Side suplex by Hanson.Every time Jay mounts a comeback , Hanson cuts him off. Hanson goes for a tope' and Jay face plants him. Jay does a flip dive onto Hanson. While the guys are selling Lethal,Martini,M. Briscoe, and Rowe come out. Giving this a total World Wide Wrestling feel in 86. Nice neck breaker by Jay which is a nice set up to the Jay Driller.Hanson misses the corner senton. Jay delivers a Saito Suplex, and a DVDR to further hurt the neck. Hanson goes for a moonsault and misses followed by a J-Driller that gets 2. Hanson with an inverted pile driver for 2. Jay gives it a finality in a great match. It built and built and had a great match. 3 1/2*

Overall the show had a lot of good wrestling. It might have been my least favorite one I've seen this year from the company. Still the show had 3 matches over 3*, and a few matches close to it. That shows what a great run the company is having in the ring.

I know a lot of people love Young, but I really don't see it with him. This may be a case where people who see him live are much more into him, but to me he's just a guy. He's good at certain things, but I've never seen anything out of him that makes me believe he should be pushed harder than he is

I know a lot of people love Young, but I really don't see it with him. This may be a case where people who see him live are much more into him, but to me he's just a guy. He's good at certain things, but I've never seen anything out of him that makes me believe he should be pushed harder than he is

This is where I am on Silas. I feel he's a solid worker, with decent charisma. Besides Elgin on the ROH roster I can't see who anyone Young would be better in their spot.

I've liked a lot of Silas' stuff in AAW, but he just hasn't clicked here. He's always had that tendency to do the goofy flippy stuff - seemingly just for the sake of showing he CAN do it. It reminds me of someone like an early Chris Jericho, in the sense that Young could REALLY benefit from abandoning those bad habits, working to his strengths, learning his own limitations, and refining the character work a bit more instead.

ROH isn't AAW, and he's not going to be "big fish" here. I have no issue with that. In fact, I'm *kind of* inclined to believe he could benefit from being placed in a tag team - at least temporarily. I know that division's stacked in its own right at the moment, but giving Silas someone to interact with & reflect off of on a regular basis could be exactly what he needs to let his personality shine through.

I realize the "mismatched oddball" tag team thing can get tiresome, but with the right combination? It's a formula with a surprisingly decent track record. I can think of worse fates for Silas than pairing the "Man's Man" with a pretty boy or wimpy type & see if they can cook up some chemistry together.

I've liked a lot of Silas' stuff in AAW, but he just hasn't clicked here. He's always had that tendency to do the goofy flippy stuff - seemingly just for the sake of showing he CAN do it. It reminds me of someone like an early Chris Jericho, in the sense that Young could REALLY benefit from abandoning those bad habits, working to his strengths, learning his own limitations, and refining the character work a bit more instead.

That's sort of the issue I have with Silas Young. He works a "real man" gimmick and has a look that works with that gimmick. His wrestling style is completely disconnected from that gimmick and look he has going on. When I think "last real man in wrestling", I don't think "handstand split-legged moonsault" but that's what he does. I think he could be a really solid mid-card, TV title level wrestler in ROH if he dropped the cutesy stuff and simplified his offense in a way that better matches his persona. I don't see him as a star even if he does that, but he could be useful. As he is now, I haven't been able to get into him in ROH or AAW.