Pro Wrestling Only

NXT - ARRIVAL

goodhelmet

Of course it was a tease

If Bo had actually suplexed him from that position Neville would have either broken in half on the ropes or broke his neck or they both would have died. The ladder was in the middle of the ring, nowhere for Neville to land safely, and Bo was a few steps up on the ladder and would have been pushing it out from under himself to do the throw

I'm not a fan of the insane bumpy indy spots like that....has anyone ever actually taken a german suplex off of a ladder from that position and ring positioning? I hope not

Agreed. But why tease it at all? It's a completely illogical spot for all the reasons you stated.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the (great) content it's amazing the WWE can present a show like this where everyone looks great and is treated as a star as opposed to RAW. Triple H and Stephanie put over the workers here with no problem yet make everyone look worse on the main roster. I know they're Paul and Stephanie Levesque in real life in this environment but think if they put this much effort into the presentation of Bryan, Cesaro, etc on the main roster shows. And of course the announcing is ions better. Again maybe Vince is the difference as apparently he's hands off on the NXT product

Of course Hunter and Stephanie would put over NXT like crazy, the whole developmental setup is his baby, It would be crazy if he didn't.

Also people always rip on Steph, but I marked out for her cracking up at the "you still got it" chants and then being sharp enough to come back with "I never lost it".

Opener was good, but I'm not sure I'd say it's better than the Cena match. It was definitely exciting, but there were a couple moves in there that I think were done just for the sake of doing them to get near falls. That being said, there were some great moments and it did the best thing a match could do in putting the losing wrestler over, as well. Zayn is a made guy at this point.

The showcase matches weren't that great, as Rawley should be running dudes over in less than 2 minutes. For whatever reason, he takes punishment for too long before making a comeback. I get the Rusev beatdown, but it wasn't really impressive.

Divas match was good, but I really wish they would figure out a way to work more uptempo. I'm not saying they have to be Manami Toyota, but they're being taught to work a similar style to the guys and picking up the tempo would help the good workers like Emma and Paige really shine.

Main was a good match but I wonder how much faith they have going forward with Bo Dallas if they're talking more about becoming action-oriented. His personality is what got him over as a heel and while he's good in the ring, there are a lot of guys on the roster who can do laps around him. Happy to see Neville as the champ, as he'll get some exciting matches out of whoever they put him against.

On the HHH/Vince/Steph stuff, certainly the fact this is HHH's baby is a big reason he puts it over so strongly.

On the other hand, I'm not so quick to just blame Vince for Raw not being like this. NXT is a niche product designed to provide programming for the network and appeal to your hardest of hardcores - of course it's presented differently than the corporate Raw show that's designed to throw a wide net and keep revenue coming in and give them something to talk about with investors and potential partners. NXT is definitely more traditional and focused, but that's because NXT doesn't need to carry the company in the same way.

I still think it's hilarious that the NXT team is taking a group of hot indy talent, relative nobodies, and people from other sports and already putting on a show that runs circles around Impact.

On Triple H starting, my initial reaction was to be kind of annoyed but then you see how he was smiling and seeming really happy about NXT getting its big show like this and I was like, alright Trips this is supposedly your baby and it's pretty great so I'll give you this one.

Also, I want to rewatch Cesaro/Zayn before I say too much about it but I liked the one count spot a lot when watching it live. Felt like one of the few times that spot is good. It's hardly as if it's done to death in WWE and in the context of the feud I thought it made sense, and was appropriately right before the definitive ending.

I find the criticism of HHH/Steph/HBK on the show ammusing

HHH opened the show getting the crowd hyped putting over NXT as the future of wrestling. Short and sweet.

Steph hyped up women's wrestling and Paige and Emma as the future female stars of the sport

HBK, the guy who made the ladder match famous, put over the match and the guys who were about to compete in it

I get that people just dislike all three of them for various reasons and all that, but of all the things to criticize, showing up to put over NXT is not one of them. Like it or not they are WWE "icons" and faces of the brand and company, for whatever that is worth. The crowd seemed to appreciate them being there.

NXT is a niche product designed to provide programming for the network and appeal to your hardest of hardcores

Uh, not really. They've been taping NXT from Full Sail for almost two years now. It had international TV for a while, and has been on Hulu and the wwe youtube channel for a while. It's not something "designed for the network" or for the hardcore fanbase. If anything, now that it's on the network it will probably start becoming less like the NXT of 2013 now that they'll pay more attention to it and use it as a vehicle to get handpicked talent over. People got gimmicks over organically in NXT....we might see less of that now. I hope not. I know Dusty does a lot of work with people on developing characters and promos, and they have great trainers....so I hope they don't meddle with it too much

NXT is a niche product designed to provide programming for the network and appeal to your hardest of hardcores

Uh, not really. They've been taping NXT from Full Sail for almost two years now. It had international TV for a while, and has been on Hulu and the wwe youtube channel for a while. It's not something "designed for the network" or for the hardcore fanbase. If anything, now that it's on the network it will probably start becoming less like the NXT of 2013 now that they'll pay more attention to it and use it as a vehicle to get handpicked talent over. People got gimmicks over organically in NXT....we might see less of that now. I hope not. I know Dusty does a lot of work with people on developing characters and promos, and they have great trainers....so I hope they don't meddle with it too much

Fair points. But they've also been planning the network for two years- don't you get at least a little feeling that the Hulu/youtube stuff has been a bit of a feeling out/priming process for it becoming a real "brand" when the Network launches? I'm aware they've been doing the tapings there, but it just feels to me like they've been priming the pump for the big push when the network came out. Like, all the champs right now are these long reigning dynasties (well, until Neville won last night) and that seems like they have been trying to get it running so it can hit the ground running as a Network cornerstone from the jump. I came away with the vibe that they want NXT to take off as a hardcore fan alternative to the main roster, and that Arrival is where the "canon" of the Universe really begins, kinda like how WWE sometimes gives the impression that the Universe starts at WrestleMania I.

(Edited to remove extra quote box)

I find the criticism of HHH/Steph/HBK on the show ammusing

HHH opened the show getting the crowd hyped putting over NXT as the future of wrestling. Short and sweet.

Steph hyped up women's wrestling and Paige and Emma as the future female stars of the sport

HBK, the guy who made the ladder match famous, put over the match and the guys who were about to compete in it

I get that people just dislike all three of them for various reasons and all that, but of all the things to criticize, showing up to put over NXT is not one of them. Like it or not they are WWE "icons" and faces of the brand and company, for whatever that is worth. The crowd seemed to appreciate them being there.

Hmm I think most people are praising them in this thread.

True that NXT can't be like Raw because Raw has to appeal to a wide audience but making your talent look good in ideal situations should be one of the goals on every major show

Total one-match show for me. Cesaro/Zayn was great though. Some great spots in there & a lot of psychology working off of stuff from previous matches. I liked Regal pointing out that Cesaro worked on the breath/gut of Zayn before starting to go after his legs. Make it so he can't run away, then make it so he can't run/fly at all. Totally took him apart. Some good hope spots too. Fun & good match.

CJ Parker, The Ascension & Mojo Rawlings are all the drizzling shits. Ladder match disappointed me as I know both can do more.

Wasn't feeling the crowd for most of the show but when they chanted "you still got it!" at Stephanie McMahon & she broke, then said "I never lost it" I popped.

Emma/Paige was OK but the hype train is so high on both of them it's hard for them to ever live up to expectations. They honestly both felt sloppy to me. I've seen good women's wrestling before, usually from Japan. There's just a big disconnect for me here. I can't get into it, I'm sorry. They felt like they were moving in slow motion to me the whole time. I like Paige as a character & think she would be OK on the main roster but I can't imagine a lot of good coming out of throwing her in the ring with Brie Bella, Aksana or Alicia Fox. Just feels like a total waste of time. AJ Lee got over because she was featured in stuff OTHER than crappy 4-minute RAW matches against other Divas. Paige needs something like that. A story, some depth. Also, I'm pretty sure there's been quite a few "anti-Diva" gimmicks and all that ever seems to me is either "Goth" or "not-Blonde." Paige doesn't change that perception. :lol: (not saying she's not cute or a bad worker)

Loved Regal on commentary. Not sure we needed all the cameos from "real" stars (to chime in on that) but it didn't hurt anything. I watch NXT most weeks & this kinda just felt like a longer version of their normal show. I think Neville is pretty good but I'm not sure if I would have put the title on him. Does that mean that Bo will get called up soon or that Neville won't get called up anytime soon? I'm not really sure. Big E. got called up when he was the champ, so whatever. Neville should be billed from The Shire though, I know that! :D

Jury still out for me on Rousev. I think if he's protected he'll be OK. You try to make him work non-squashes, he's gonna be in trouble. All I've seen from him now in a squash or two, a run-in & his Rumble appearance. He has a great look though & I think his manager/valet is gonna get mega over.

I like the Ascension. Seem to be in the minority on this board. I definitely think they can get over on the main roster

Do you have any specific matches to check out? I'll admit to only having seen them three times - this show, and a couple squashes on the recent episodes of NXT I have been catching up on. I'm normally a fan of gimmick'ed up tag teams (I'm a Demolition fan ...) so I was into their entrance but underwhelmed by the in-ring portion. Do they have any reasoning behind the gladiator garb or is it just something they wear?

I liked the American wolves match and the matches with Hunico/Camacho. They have gotten better since they toned down the gimmick.

The Adrian Neville vs Bo Dallas rematch that took place tonight was way better than the ladder match. Especially the finish. And wait till you people see Adam Rose. So great.

I'm glad they showed NXT on Hulu, and now the network. Though I feel the company could destroy what they want to protect. One of the reasons for NXT is to develop new talent and headliners for the WWE. If we can see them every week on T.V before they get to the dance they may be over exposed before they have a chance to make an impact.

I'm glad they showed NXT on Hulu, and now the network. Though I feel the company could destroy what they want to protect. One of the reasons for NXT is to develop new talent and headliners for the WWE. If we can see them every week on T.V before they get to the dance they may be over exposed before they have a chance to make an impact.

Paul Levesque addressed this on the conference call he did this week: Anyone they put on the NXT TV show is considered more or less ready to be called up.

A few thoughts:

The promo video for Bo Dallas was awesome. kNOw Bo and passing out cookies is great babyface stuff done even better by a heel.

What's going on with the random So Cal Val sighting? Is she back to her old ways now that TNA has canned her? I also find it amazing how WWE gets damn good production values out of Full Sail while TNA struggles to make a Universal Studios Soundstage look relevant.

I am still not sold on Paige, Emma, or any new Diva that has recently (Summer Rae) come out of NXT or is currently in NXT. Hopefully that changes.

Pac maineventing a landmark WWE show, being in the mainevent of that show, and winning the title while John Cena, HBK, HHH, and other applaud. was an amazing visual and moment.

Final assesment:

Sure there were some stinkers, but an overall good show. I hope as NXT continues we see less of guys like HBK, Cena, HHH, etc. I would like to see 100% new guys if possible.

I don't know what WWE sees in the Ascension, except them having a good look. Konnor is in developmental since 2005 (except a two year break) and Viktor is in the business for 15 years (and the last three in developmental), so it's not that they are young or young to the business and are expected to still improve much.

Paul Levesque addressed this on the conference call he did this week: Anyone they put on the NXT TV show is considered more or less ready to be called up.

I wonder what would happen if Paul Levesque and Wayne Keown did a conference call together? :)

It's amazing that in a family that includes Bray Wyatt, Bo looks most like the creepy guy who probably has bodies in the basement. Something about the way he does the babyface smiling gimmick as a heel gives off a better American Psycho vibe than Sam Shaw could ever hope for.

The one thing I will say about is NXT is that it's hard to believe that the commentary is so good on there and so awful on the main shows. I look forward to the day where it's Regal in the booth on Raw. Tom Phillips is definitely cut from the Michael Cole cloth but he has a better voice for play-by-play and he's helped by not having JBL and King prattling on like idiots on either side of him.

If HHH says all the workers on the NXT show are more or less ready for a call-up, do they have other workers just set up in the training camp that aren't on TV yet?

Feels like Neville's title win has been downplayed, probably because the stream died for the win, but PAC of ALL people winning a title in the main event of a show in the WWE universe is one crazy thing.

I'm interested to see how they do these bigger NXT events going forward. Arrival certainly felt like a good first impression from the opener being great, the women's match being the best WWE women's match since the last Emma vs Paige match which was the best women's match in WWE since I don't know when. Then they main evented with a ladder match. Pulling for gimmick PPVs because GIMMICKS... and I'm weird.

Can I ask what the logic is to showcasing guys like Cesaro on NXT who have already been called up? I'm not complaining, I'm just wanting to know why select guys who are already on the main roster are being featured here at all.

It's mainly used as a bridge or litmus test of sorts. Since the weekly NXT shows began, they've sent wrestlers down to NXT to give shine to guys they like. While guys like Cesaro can do it well with Zayn, you also get stinkers like Kofi going down to work Rusev a few weeks ago. It's not necessarily a showcase for the main roster guys. It's to show that the NXT guys can hang with those on the roster already, which, to the fans who watch both the main shows and NXT, makes them feel like when they get called up, they deserved it.