Pro Wrestling Only

Triple H just announced that the Ultimate Warrior passed away

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit. This is the spookiest wrestling death since you-know-who. Seriously, the timing is amazingly creepy. I will say he did look bloated at the Hall of Fame speach, but still, never though in a million years such a sad thing would happen. The truly tragic part is when you think about his wife and his two adorable daughters at the ceremony. Don't want to speculate, so I'll just say it must be the most awful feeling in the world for them right now. My heart goes out to them.

Although my opinion on the Warrior really change as I grew up a wrestling fan, and I didn't share his political views at all, I loved the Warrior when I was a teenager, one of my all-time favourite character then. Those are the memories I'll keep from this guy.

Just fucking weird and shocking.

(and the other creepy thing is that I actually thought about the idea of Meltzer having to talk about some tragedy this week-end… it was like in the back of my mind just before I watched Mania, then I brushed it off… just odd)

Watching ABC's America This Morning and on the scroll it states WWE Legend James Hellwig " The Ultimate WRESTLER" dies at age 54. Seriously can't these guys do at least a quick Google search to get a name right?

I'm still so shocked and saddened at another childhood hero gone.

I'm thinking heart related because he looked very red all weekend and sweated heavily

That's the first thing I thought.

The strangest thing for me was when I was at the bar watching WrestleMania someone shouted out "Why don't you drop dead you f***ing c***" during Warrior's big entrance on the show.

I'm not sure the timing is all that creepy, really. I mean the guy was shaking the ropes wildly the other night and blown up. He had probably the most exciting weekend in years and probably an exhausting one given Axxess and media appearances/interviews and whatever else. I imagine he had a lot of personal anticipation and stress over the speech itself and what not. Given the years of steroids (and he was outside of the tested world for years where other guys weren't so who knows), it makes sense that his body was in fairly bad shape. The timing is tragic, but I'm not sure I'd call it creepy.

Guest The Jiz

Sad story, but it's great Warrior got a lot off his mind on Saturday. I wonder if PWO members are more shocked by the timing or his death. Anyone who has seen his workout video should know he was a major roidhead. That he almost certainly suffered from a heart explosion should not be shocking. Because of that, Warrior's death is the most surprising to me since Curt Hennig - before knowing he had a rep as a junkie - since it should've been obvious to the world that Chris Benoit was a walking heart attack.

Concerning his political views, some should grow up. He said a far more sanitized version than things I often hear near liberal college campuses and certainly what's said at dinnertable talk. Being a high strung and public persona, he chose to make his views public, and both the masses and the elite can debate his talking points for its merit. Healthy democracies do such things. Unfortunately, his political opponents overlook the danger in conformity in any variety and what these attitudes can do. Besides, Warrior was more courageous than a lot of these middle manager cowards who yell "faggot this, faggot that" over the dinnertable while pretending to wave the rainbow flag for his own often times economic self-interest. I mean, Ronald Reagan dodged HIV as an issue because the religious right, not the scientific community, decided to typecast HIV as a "gay disease" caused by drug use, promiscuity, and other value-negative attributes claimed to be inherent in the homosexuality community. His dodging can't be written off as a time-dependent issue since public health officials argued otherwise. Instead, he chose to play politician over looking for the public interest in containing HIV. But see, Suzie Soccermom who contracts it through a bad blood transfusion is collateral damage.

Besides, the gay rights movement is clearly a youth movement that many jumped on due to the Internet or to look cool in front of their friends, not often out of independent thinking. I have friends who are all about people "coming out" and then suddenly treating them differently for doing so, as if they were having sex to begin with, which defeats the purpose. Again, most people are cowards. Warrior was some old, ex-wrestler. Why anyone would expect differently is bizarre.

For the general historiography, it's great that people see Warrior as a competent main event wrestler. His match against Flair though was utterly pitiful and basically exposed the business to anyone watching live. Still, he did some great things in his career, and I feel bad that he might have wanted to say more but only had those two days in 2014 to do so. He was a good guy even if self-absorbed. (Most wrestlers are self-absorbed, so this is not unique to him.

BTW, there's no point in responding to the political issues. It's not an interesting debate to me or one I care to get into. The only purporse behind writing this is to put Warrior in a broader sociopolitical context and to point to his courage in actually taking a stand and making enemies, even if many disagreed with him.

The timing is literally unbelievable. It was all just like in a movie, him finally getting the Hall of Fame induction, the speech about life and death on Raw and then he collapses outside a hotel and the credits roll as he passes into the next world with a blissful look on his face.

Very surprised at all the people suggesting suicide on here - he never seemed the type to me in the slightest, and he seemed in a good place having just been brought back into the WWE fold. Considering his history with steroids and cocaine it was almost certainly heart related. Wonder if he would still have died had he not done HOF and Raw? Obviously his heart would still have exploded at some point, but maybe the excitement of the weekend did for him.

Craziest few days for wrestling in a long time. If there is any posititve it is that the mainstream attention on wrestling will continue and it will get a lot of publicity through word of mouth and social networks to keep the buzz around WWE.

Besides, the gay rights movement is clearly a youth movement that many jumped on due to the Internet or to look cool in front of their friends, not often out of independent thinking.

Um, what? That was an utterly ridiculous post in general, but this line is especially absurd and probably offensive to people here. The 'gay rights' movement encompasses all age groups and has been going for decades, making a great deal of important and positive change. It isn't just a load of hipsters wandering around in rainbow wristbands.

BTW, there's no point in responding to the political issues. It's not an interesting debate to me or one I care to get into.

If you don't want people to respond to your post defending and justifying homophobia, why write it in the first place? You haven't, as you suggest, put Warrior in a 'broader sociological context' you have merely attempted to legitimize his often hurtful and ill informed opinions.

The timing is literally unbelievable. It was all just like in a movie, him finally getting the Hall of Fame induction, the speech about life and death on Raw and then he collapses outside a hotel and the credits roll as he passes into the next world with a blissful look on his face.

Sadly, I doubt that was the case.

I don't begrudge the guy for having opinions that differ than mine (or most people's), it's just that the brief time he was seemingly trying to carve out a role as a right-wing talking head that rubs people the wrong way the most I'd wager. It's one thing to make YouTube videos for people to lol at, it's another to go on speaking tours that usually boil down to namecalling anyone who disagrees with you.

Still. I don't think this is the time and place to debate his world view when the guy just left behind a 11 and 13 year old.

Stunned by the news.

Agreed with those on the timing being surreal. Also agreed with Dylan about how Warrior looked at the HOF and RAW compared to last year. If you look at the commercials he did for the video game, even if they were at a certain production level, you could still see a genuine sense of energy there. He didn't have nearly that same level over the weekend.

Maybe I'm thinking way, way, way too deep here, but it sucks that a guy who, for better or worse, for a good decade or so was embroiled in a battle of differences with a company that was the platform for his most success, so much so that a hatchet home video was released, finally mends fences in the best of ways, along with this family...and then goes. That really fucking sucks. And heck, he made amends with other co-workers he had differences with. A born-again, new lease on life deal, at least with the WWE...and that happens. Fucked up.

This is some really bizarre timing for sure. I know that his HOF speech made me feel uncomfortable because he seemed so unhealthy and I was worried he was going to collapse any minute. I can't say I'm surprised, sadly, because both at the HOF and on RAW, I was a little worried watching him.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe he had something wrong with him that he didn't tell anybody outside of a select few. Like he knew he only had so much time. Might explain some of the retrospectively cryptic things he said.

Or it could just be coincidence.

Still trying to take this all in.

Sad story, but it's great Warrior got a lot off his mind on Saturday. I wonder if PWO members are more shocked by the timing or his death. Anyone who has seen his workout video should know he was a major roidhead. That he almost certainly suffered from a heart explosion should not be shocking. Because of that, Warrior's death is the most surprising to me since Curt Hennig - before knowing he had a rep as a junkie - since it should've been obvious to the world that Chris Benoit was a walking heart attack.

Concerning his political views, some should grow up. He said a far more sanitized version than things I often hear near liberal college campuses and certainly what's said at dinnertable talk. Being a high strung and public persona, he chose to make his views public, and both the masses and the elite can debate his talking points for its merit. Healthy democracies do such things. Unfortunately, his political opponents overlook the danger in conformity in any variety and what these attitudes can do. Besides, Warrior was more courageous than a lot of these middle manager cowards who yell "faggot this, faggot that" over the dinnertable while pretending to wave the rainbow flag for his own often times economic self-interest. I mean, Ronald Reagan dodged HIV as an issue because the religious right, not the scientific community, decided to typecast HIV as a "gay disease" caused by drug use, promiscuity, and other value-negative attributes claimed to be inherent in the homosexuality community. His dodging can't be written off as a time-dependent issue since public health officials argued otherwise. Instead, he chose to play politician over looking for the public interest in containing HIV. But see, Suzie Soccermom who contracts it through a bad blood transfusion is collateral damage.

Besides, the gay rights movement is clearly a youth movement that many jumped on due to the Internet or to look cool in front of their friends, not often out of independent thinking. I have friends who are all about people "coming out" and then suddenly treating them differently for doing so, as if they were having sex to begin with, which defeats the purpose. Again, most people are cowards. Warrior was some old, ex-wrestler. Why anyone would expect differently is bizarre.

For the general historiography, it's great that people see Warrior as a competent main event wrestler. His match against Flair though was utterly pitiful and basically exposed the business to anyone watching live. Still, he did some great things in his career, and I feel bad that he might have wanted to say more but only had those two days in 2014 to do so. He was a good guy even if self-absorbed. (Most wrestlers are self-absorbed, so this is not unique to him.

BTW, there's no point in responding to the political issues. It's not an interesting debate to me or one I care to get into. The only purporse behind writing this is to put Warrior in a broader sociopolitical context and to point to his courage in actually taking a stand and making enemies, even if many disagreed with him.

This is a presumptuous and offensive post. Please remember that this board is called Pro Wrestling Only and cool it.

I just read about this now as I saw it on the ESPN front page headline section and was immediately shocked. Did remembering thinking when watching him go down the aisle on Raw that he didn't look too good. But the timing of it is so crazy with him finally returning back to WWE and just entering Hall of Fame.