Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 8/3-8/10

Loss

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended this week's Smackdown taping. It was probably my billionth live card but the first for my three year-old son. He knows Brock Lesnar is a big deal because of Heyman screaming his name on Raw most of the time. So when Jack Swagger was boring us to death against Big Show he kept screaming "Go Brock Lesnar!" When I told him it was Swagger in the ring he immediately started chanting "Go Jack Swagger!"

My son watches very little WWE but, man, did he get into this show. He copied every chant, loved clapping and stomping to rally the wrestlers and treated everyone like a star. Afterward he told me I was "the best dad".

The tickets were $15 because they were "limited view", meaning I was close enough to the stage to almost be behind it. Aside from the two Main Event matches there were only four TV matches. And they shoot this just like a TV show with long pauses with the lights out for commercials. I went to some tapings ten years ago and they played a 60-second music video a few times but the show kept moving.

Basically, WWE knew they had most of their roster already flying to Australia for a tour so they slapped together a dull show with very little of note and still charged full price admission. I won't complain too much because of the price and the fun I had with my son but I can't imagine there will be as many people eager to buy tickets again when WWE comes to town.

So stop worrying about nonsense and take pride in the fact that you took your son to a wrestling show and had fun together. That's awesome and you're a great Dad.

Isn't this a little different though, since everyone knows he's Cody Rhodes and the idea is he's inhabited this persona and gone insane? Or something like that.

Yea this is the story of the Stardust character. It's just too bad that video is late as fuck because they should have been doing stuff like that while he was in the feud with Goldust.

I don't know. One thing to say Cody's gone off the deep end and another to outright say it's a gimmick and that's he portraying a character on TV.

Cole could have pointed out he originally did this to save his tag team with Dustin. He then ended up becoming so engrossed in it, he cut ties with his father and brother and is now going after an actor. Hell, on that end, they should have let Cody think Amell is actually Green Arrow. It'd be a bit more entertaining.

wanted to comment on a few things brought up in this thread.....

- RE: watching RAW out of habit. I think it's true to a degree for a lot of fans (myself included). I love wrestling, being from the North East WWF/E has always been my "home" promotion, and it's THE top promotion in world. It's live. As a wrestling fan why wouldn't you watch it? Modern WWE has it's good and it's bad, I tend to look for the good, and there is a lot of good if you're not being a negative Nancy (which a lot of "fans" are). Even people here who claim not to watch it or care about it......still seem to think and talk about it a lot.....

- As far as "hate watchers" who are full of negative energy and love to complain......they 100% absolutely exist. Loss trying to deny this is comical. I'm a Yankees fan and post on a well known Yankee message board. 75% of the posts there are negative, so I don't read or post as often as I used to because wading through 5 pages of bitching before seeing a decent post is a soul sucking waste of my time. I'm starting to feel that way about this board too tbh.......I've pretty much avoided the WWE threads here for a while because other than Johnny Sorrow and myself it seems like nobody actually likes it and the threads are full of complaining

- Johnny, I love your positive attitude, and I'm the same way......but the 90 minute Hulu version and the 3+ hour live show are wildly different things. I suggest you DVR the show and watch it in full........you'll probably be just as positive about it, but you can't really compare the 2 and really get in a conversation about the quality of the show when you're watching the cut down condensed version. 3 hours is a drag, and the crowd always dies in the third hour

Not sure where else to put this, but I went to a house show as well last night. I have more thoughts up here on my blog, but I just want to say that my 2009 smark self would have been in awe of the fact that I just attended a WWE show where the top of the card was:

WWE Title Match: Tyler Black © vs Jon Moxley

Claudio Castagnoli vs Kevin Steen

(Randy Orton vs Wade Barrett)

NXT Title Match: Prince Devitt © vs PAC

It's kind of amazing to stop and think about, even though we're used to having these guys all over the top of cards by now. Anyone who doesn't think there's been a fundamental shift in WWE since the advent of Punk and Bryan, I don't know what to tell you.

Also, for what it's worth, it may have just been because he was facing Neville, but Balor was working heel in his match. Not just 'subtle heel for babyface challenger', but full blown heel with hair pulling, cheap shots and trying to walk out. They may have been testing the waters for a Balor heel turn once he moves past Owens. For me it was just weird because looking at Balor and Neville I went in expecting a fast, flippydo opener, and instead got Balor sitting in headlocks and shit.

Miz has really become awesome in his role, even if he remains damaged goods

Miz is almost worthy of his own thread at this point. He seems to be one of the only people on the entire roster with genuine heat. EVERYONE hates The Miz, it's great.

I wish Summerslam was tonight as I have nothing going on. Still two more weeks away. I need to watch some wrestling, as I've not done so outside of a bit of RAW last Monday.

That's crazy. I used to live in Victoria and the city has, for whatever reason, a rep for fan incidents at WWE shows. Once, I believe a fan hit the ring and attempted to attack HHH. The most famous incident happened in 2009 after the only WWE show I ever attended while living there. Chris Jericho got into heated confrontation with two fans in the parking lot and a video of it went viral on youtube. The one fan was a total moron, I saw him inside the arena earlier walking around wearing a merch table belt and behaving like the show was a shoot. I wrote to a wrestling site to give my account of the fan and about a half hour later the Victoria PD called me based on that account being posted on the site and they told me I could be called as a witness if it ever went to trial. Of course it never did. Funny thing is Victoria is a pretty sleepy town and not exactly known for rowdy sports fans or anything, but something about WWE shows turns the people mad.

-Dave Meltzer revealed on the last edition of The Wrestling Observer Radio that the finish on last week’s edition of Smackdown did not go as planned. The match reportedly got cut about several minutes shorter than it was originally supposed to go. It was also supposed to get another TV segment.

The match ended when Naomi reversed a small package by Charlotte for the win. Naomi looked like she was upset after the match was over. Meltzer criticized the reaction since Naomi should have looked happy because she won the match.

The match did get cut short, but it did give the Divas a goodDEALarrow-10x10.png of time on the program. The bout started as a singles match before it turned into an impromptu tag team match. It added up to a total of 20 minutes of TV time for the Divas on the show.

CREDITarrow-10x10.png The Wrestling Observer Radio via Wrestlezone.com

That's crazy. I used to live in Victoria and the city has, for whatever reason, a rep for fan incidents at WWE shows. Once, I believe a fan hit the ring and attempted to attack HHH. The most famous incident happened in 2009 after the only WWE show I ever attended while living there. Chris Jericho got into heated confrontation with two fans in the parking lot and a video of it went viral on youtube. The one fan was a total moron, I saw him inside the arena earlier walking around wearing a merch table belt and behaving like the show was a shoot. I wrote to a wrestling site to give my account of the fan and about a half hour later the Victoria PD called me based on that account being posted on the site and they told me I could be called as a witness if it ever went to trial. Of course it never did. Funny thing is Victoria is a pretty sleepy town and not exactly known for rowdy sports fans or anything, but something about WWE shows turns the people mad.

That story is in Chris Jericho's latest book. Definitely an interesting coincidence. This might be a stupid question but is Victoria a big drinking town? Does it have other regular sport teams or concerts coming through or is WWE coming a huge deal? Could it be one of those things where fans are tailgating before and by the time the show starts, things are already getting rowdy?

I bring this up because as someone who lives in Ohio and is familiar with OSU on Saturdays during the Buckeyes' football season, I know firsthand how otherwise decently civilized masses can degenerate into hordes of car-flipping, couch-burning idiots within a span of hours (and that even if it only happens once every few years, there's a "culture" that exists even during "mild" seasons).