Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/26-11/1

Strummer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusev sustained a proximal bicep tendon rupture during his match with Neville at the WWE Main Event tapings Tuesday night, WWE.com can confirm. The match was called due to the injury, and the former U.S. Champion’s recovery time is currently slated at three to four weeks.

As morbid as it is, maybe a month away will do Rusev some good right now. Being on TV wasn't exactly doing him any favors lately. He was getting lost in the shuffle.

Rusev sustained a proximal bicep tendon rupture during his match with Neville at the WWE Main Event tapings Tuesday night, WWE.com can confirm. The match was called due to the injury, and the former U.S. Champion’s recovery time is currently slated at three to four weeks.

As morbid as it is, maybe a month away will do Rusev some good right now. Being on TV wasn't exactly doing him any favors lately. He was getting lost in the shuffle.

It's amazing that he was the hottest thing in the company and now is a pre-show mid card comedy act.

They could had done huge business keeping him a monster facing Brock Lesnar, but they wasted that away.

Finally catching up with NXT which is pretty much the only thing I watch each and every week.

Emma vs. Shazza

Great performance by Emma here as she just dripped disdain for her opponent with the dropkick counter to the drop down, the amazing right hand and just her overall demeanor. Shazza did come off as a poor man's Alexa Bliss and didn't show me a ton. I think Emma did a great job here showing how she could pose a threat to Asuka despite the likely result being her getting p'owned. She needed to look dominant here in order to build herself as a threat, I think its a good example of working to the situation rather than trying to have the best match possible with an unknown.

Jason Jordan & Chad Gable vs Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa

Best tag match since the last Jordan/Gable match? NXT tag situation has become quietly stacked during the Dusty Tag Classic with lots of fresh pairings coming out the tournament with lots of room to grow. Jordan is really coming along becoming more comfortable in his performance and acting more like Gable in terms of personality. The 'Thank You'/'You're welcome' exchange was probably the best example of this and had me engaged in the shine. Gargano continues to strike me as the star of his team and has some really good timing and muted selling going on to sell the previous work. I think he needs a splash more personality added to him since we don't know him at all at this point. The Alley Oop/Back Suplex just doesn't lose its impact with repeated viewing.

Nia Jax vs. Kay Lee Ray

Jax seems very comfortable with her performance to me with the shifts from KILL CRUSH DESTROY to 'smile for the camera' being effective narrative beats. The element that she is slightly playing with her opponents until she gets annoyed enough to crush them in her paws just works right now in a jobber match structure. The spinebuster looks raw enough to be especially violent and the leg drop as a exclamation point worked. I think adding a rope bounce to the leg would help build the crowd up for the landing more.

Dash and Dawson vs. Enzo and Big Cass

I always leave a Dash and Dawson match thinking I need to see more from the Dash side of the equation and this wasn't much different. I loved the variation on using a Indian deathlock to set up the second rope stomp to make that work. Dawson's fake limp was effective as a mocking device as well. I like the direction NXT is going with D&D and think it could actually get them some heat if they can effectively ground people down in a way that's just exciting enough without popping the crowd.

Tyler Breeze vs Samoa Joe

Didn't really capture my attention the way the tag match did. I kind of liked Joe's selling at the outset where he looked like he just might shake off Tyler's shots at any time but didn't because it accomplished the duel responsibility of making Joe look tough without Tyler looking ineffective. I think I may have preferred Joe keeping the clutch on a little longer than needed as the finish to demonstrate his level of frustration with the situation but that is a nit pick.

I really hope the Dudleys aren't on Taker's Survivor Series team. That seems like such a bad fit. Ambrose would work. I would've said Reigns but he's obviously otherwise occupied. Randy Orton would be an ugh, but I can't think of another fourth. Ehhh, I guess Ryback would be okay...blech. Cody Rhodes (not Stardust) would be cool, just as a callback to Taker's debut with Dusty, but that won't happen. Is there anyone from NXT they could call up for the fourth spot?

I really hope the Dudleys aren't on Taker's Survivor Series team. That seems like such a bad fit. Ambrose would work. I would've said Reigns but he's obviously otherwise occupied. Randy Orton would be an ugh, but I can't think of another fourth. Ehhh, I guess Ryback would be okay...blech. Cody Rhodes (not Stardust) would be cool, just as a callback to Taker's debut with Dusty, but that won't happen. Is there anyone from NXT they could call up for the fourth spot?

To fit with Taker and Kane? Not really. Although Enzo and Cass would be hilarious.

It's amazing that he was the hottest thing in the company and now is a pre-show mid card comedy act.

Sadly, some people around here had predicted just that after Mania, even before the end of the Cena feud. Yeah, pretty pathetic.

I don't know. It's like being surprised that Vince Sr had a really hot heel and then he lost his program with Bruno and the heel wasn't as hot anymore. How far can you take a monster heel with an undefeated gimmick? The whole point is for him to lose to the valiant face and move down the card.

Sadly, some people around here had predicted just that after Mania, even before the end of the Cena feud. Yeah, pretty pathetic.

I don't know. It's like being surprised that Vince Sr had a really hot heel and then he lost his program with Bruno and the heel wasn't as hot anymore. How far can you take a monster heel with an undefeated gimmick? The whole point is for him to lose to the valiant face and move down the card.

The issue is, Rusev had so much more legs and is young. If Rusev was a veteran coming in and losing to Bruno is different.

It's also different than bringing in a young Hogan heel him running roughshaw then losing to Andre and leaving and someone who has to stick around.

The monster run had a lot more legs to it and a lot more money to make. Then you could transition him to something else, but he certainly could be a main star for years. Now the chances of him being a main star are gone.

I know he's a bit of an anomaly, but wouldn't Brock Lesnar be an easy example of a guy who lost a bunch of big time matches but was successfully rehabbed back into being an immensely over top heel/character?

Rusev loses to Cena - fine. But what was the point in him then losing to guys like Ziggler and, I believe, Cesaro or Ryback at one point too? i'm not even down on Ziggler, Cesaro, or Ryback….but losing to them after losing to Cena was the opposite of what Rusev needed. See Bray Wyatt for another example of a guy that, for whatever reason, people still see as having a "bright future" and being "money," but who won't be a big star anytime in the near future because it is far easier to rattle off the names of guys who've beaten him (Cena, Reigns, Taker) than the guys he's beaten (uh…Kane? Ryback? Jericho?).

I know he's a bit of an anomaly, but wouldn't Brock Lesnar be an easy example of a guy who lost a bunch of big time matches but was successfully rehabbed back into being an immensely over top heel/character?

Rusev loses to Cena - fine. But what was the point in him then losing to guys like Ziggler and, I believe, Cesaro or Ryback at one point too? i'm not even down on Ziggler, Cesaro, or Ryback….but losing to them after losing to Cena was the opposite of what Rusev needed. See Bray Wyatt for another example of a guy that, for whatever reason, people still see as having a "bright future" and being "money," but who won't be a big star anytime in the near future because it is far easier to rattle off the names of guys who've beaten him (Cena, Reigns, Taker) than the guys he's beaten (uh…Kane? Ryback? Jericho?).

Lesnar also doesn't have to deal with Stephanie cutting his balls off and trying to steal his heat. There are so many jobbers in WWE right now that really don't matter to the point that keeping guys like Ryback, Wyatt, Ziggler, Cesaro, Owens, and Rusev strong should be no problem. Its still amazing that WWE wants guys to get over, but not TOO OVER.

I know at one point it was due to Vince not wanting anyone to get popular enough to leave WWE for greener pastures. Kind of makes it funny to see Triple H constantly pimping Big Dave on Twitter for his movie success, it almost comes off as him being passive aggressive.

Triple H has tried to do the movie thing & failed. The Chaperone, Blade: Trinity, Inside Out. He can't act - in or out of wrestling. So of course he'll be bitter about people like The Rock or Batista when they get success in places he couldn't. I definitely think it's passive aggressive. If he could have had their success, he would be doing it too... but he couldn't. Even Nathan Jones has had more success in Hollywood. So Triple H is now the guy that tells jokes & acts like everyone else ran away from wrestling. I don't buy it. Look at some of his entrances too. If I were trying to read into it, I'd even say some of that stems from not being able to do what The Rock or Batista can do in Hollywood. Coming out as Conan and The Terminator. He strikes me as a really insecure person.

I think it's pretty clear based on how he still has to be always booked as the smartest/strongest guy in the room even in his current role that he's extremely insecure. Guy's the #2 in power of the largest wrestling company in the world and the heir apparent, runs a developmental territory that's beloved by smart fans that used to hate his guts, and he's still seemingly under the impression it can all go away if he ever shows a bit of weakness.

Is there some logical reason HHH's title on TV isn't his title? If it's just that COO is more easily understandable to those watching at home, I get that. I'm just curious what type of thought went into what title to give his character. And does Stephanie have a title on TV?

Stephanie is usually referred to as WWE owner, so in the corporate world, it would appear that they want to position her above her husband who is merely the COO. I also assume he is not anything more because they want to keep Vince included in the hierarchy of TV authority figures and Triple H has to be slotted below him.