Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to triangulate:

a.) Piper spent a lot of his prime very much in the pre-everything-on-tape era

Piper's VERY high on the list of people where if we could just see the matches... the AWA stuff and (to me) ESPECIALLY Hollywood/LA are huge chunks of someone who might as well be a different person.

What other big guys from the mid-90s are you going to stump for? Sid? Hugh Morrus? Are you going to tell us Mr. Hughes was better than the Big Boss Man? I'm just waiting to see what other scolding hot takes you hit us with next. The Yeti was underrated. Vinnie Vegas actually had some good TV matches. The Ultimate Solution was actually good, it's just that he was badly handled by WCW booking.

I think Loss' point about Nash vis a vis Andre and how he (Nash) had so little presence that he came off as much smaller than he was is the closest thing I've seen that explains why Nash is so underwhelming in the ring.

I like Shawn/Diesel a lot but I don't think it touches Piper/Valentine. Or Dusty/Flair. Or Hogan/at least seventeen different guys, really.

I should have rated Kevin Nash, really. He's better than Dusty, Piper or Hogan. Talk about getting the most out of the least and still have some great matches with great workers, which is something none of the other three ever managed to do.

I would agree with peak Nash (the few instances that exist) being better than Hogan, Piper, and Dusty. Those guys were cartoons and I never bought into them. Dusty was a bad ass on promos but the magic was gone as soon as he stepped into the ring.

One thing for Piper is that he has absolutely the best movie/acting output of any wrestler ever.

Becoming more shocked with each roll out that Hogan hasn't dropped yet.

And quite frankly, it is turning into a sad joke.

Man were you that kid who wouldn't leave the store with out your parents buying you a toy. I got it the 1st 100 times you mentioned it about Hogan and the list. You think it's a tragedy he's on.

I just think El-P's cred is just shot to pieces with this latest episode putting Nash over Piper. Calling it like I see it.

You've giving out cred points now ? You think I gave two fucks about whatever "cred" ? Seriously now.

And by the way, when is Hogan gonna finally drop ?

I should have rated Kevin Nash, really. He's better than Dusty, Piper or Hogan. Talk about getting the most out of the least and still have some great matches with great workers, which is something none of the other three ever managed to do.

I would agree with peak Nash (the few instances that exist) being better than Hogan, Piper, and Dusty. Those guys were cartoons and I never bought into them. Dusty was a bad ass on promos but the magic was gone as soon as he stepped into the ring.

One thing for Piper is that he has absolutely the best movie/acting output of any wrestler ever.

The Rock disagrees with that last statement. ;)

So Brian Pillman is overrated. That's nice.

As a face he always struck me as a very NWA style face who had a flying bodypress finish and did arm drags because that is what NWA faces did darn it! I never quite bought into him in that regard and I think that was because he had the mental makeup as a heel. Unfortunately, I don't think he ever had the physical skill set to work heel much like we have seen from Seth Rollins. He was unfortunately torn between those two axis and never stood out to me because of it. While his Loose Cannon stuff could have taken him higher, he could never really pull off the work for the gimmick.

Pillman. My WCW watch saw his stock rise a lot. #43. Excellent in pretty much any role he was put in. The most underrated worker of the early 90's. The injuries killed his career and at the end his life, he had so upward potential still by early 1995. The Loose Cannon had some really good moments, but overall it was the weakest part of his career even as a character, too forced and the shooty stuff led nowhere and had a terrible influence on someone like Russo. But anyway, love Pillman the worker.

Wanted to jump back to say a quick word on Atlantis. He was my highest ranked luchador and I don't really get why others don't see him on the same tier with Santo, Dandy, and Casas. He's got the footage and the longevity to make a case. His matches with Panther are amongst the best in lucha history, and the Emilio and Villano feuds are just a level below. Also a good selection of post-prime matches that only add to his case. Although outside of the Villano III match, he doesn't have the volume of bloody, violent apuesta matches of someone like Dandy or Santo. That probably hurts him relative to them and admittedly the mask matches against Mano Negra and Kung Fu weren't very memorable. But on the other hand I think it's a pretty difficult thing to pull off being a classic, masked technico for most of the prime of one's career and Atlantis achieved that probably better than anyone else.

I love that Hogan represents the Reagen-era 80s but Ric Flair was the true disciple of Reagan.

Flair is Reagan's America. Hogan is John Milius's America.

Come on man, don't put Hogan on Milius. His work is a lot more complicated than Hogan.

I am so glad Pillman finished ahead of Jericho.

Looking at it dispassionately, it's hard to see how Pillman had a better career than Jericho.

We've seen some very short peaks drop today -- Rude at the extreme end, but Pillman doesn't have that many more years. They both made my list though, Rude at #83 and Pillman at #96.

Pillman lacking those signiture 4.75 or 5 star matches. Although he has a lot of quality in WCW.

The Rock disagrees with that last statement. ;)

I think Hell Comes to Frogtown and They Live are better than anything Rock has done.