Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

18 hours ago, sek69 said:

It seems clearer by the day that Pat Patterson was the only person who was ever able to translate Vince's wants/needs/quirks into a consistently watchable and entertaining product. It really seems like anyone else just managed to get lucky occasionally. 

Either that, or Patterson was the only one who was able to play the "yes, and"-game with Vince.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why late March/early April for WrestleMania?

Was March 31, 1985, just how the chips fell, storyline- and behind the scenes-wise, for the first one?

Or was that time of year traditionally an "up" time, and Vince and co. planned a long way out to run it at that time of year? Do public or school holidays, other sports starting/ending, what other promoters were up to, etc, play into things?

It's not that I think there's anything wrong with early Northern Spring or nuffink, just wondering if it was, not random, but planned or circumstantial?

Could be it fell in between the Super Bowl and the NBA/NHL playoffs/start of the MLB season, and back in 1985 Vince wanted as much attention from the media as possible for something he was trying to take national. Over the years it became established at that time and there was no point to change it

5 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Thanks for everyone's input. There was an MSG house show on the 17th, so it wasn't a case of it falling into WWF's regular schedule. Tatsumi Fujinami worked Matt Borne on the next MSG card, on April 22, is something I also learned.

I forget the episode numbers, but Place To Be Podcast rebooted their Vintage Vault series to go back from the beginning of the WWF super cards, and as goodies added the monthly MSG cards.  So you can go back a few years to hear their coverage of these shows.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Kazushi Miyamoto has resurfaced and is making his MMA debut tomorrow at RIZIN 27 against Tsuyoshi Sudairo who is a former sumo wrestler and now undefeated 2-0 MMA fighter.

42 is pretty old to be jumping into MMA, even in a freakshow fight. I enjoyed his team with Honma back in the day... I've only seen Sudairo fight once and it was when he turned Dylan James' face into pulp.  

On 3/17/2021 at 4:52 PM, Robert S said:

Either that, or Patterson was the only one who was able to play the "yes, and"-game with Vince.

Yeah it would make sense.  Patterson was a protege of Roy Shire was known to be a demanding and difficult guy to work for and was known for his vision for the product.  It might have uniquely equipped him to handle Vince.

I miss Saturday Night Wrestling. Watching the few episodes they have up on Peacock of WCW Saturday Night. The 1992 opening reminds me of the beginning of SNL. Glad to hear Jesse Ventura commentating. Had WWE already restored all of his commentary on the network or is this something new to Peacock?

25 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

I miss Saturday Night Wrestling. Watching the few episodes they have up on Peacock of WCW Saturday Night. The 1992 opening reminds me of the beginning of SNL. Glad to hear Jesse Ventura commentating. Had WWE already restored all of his commentary on the network or is this something new to Peacock?

They settled with Jesse at some point and restored all the commentary. I want to say it happened around the time everything moved from WWE 24/7 to the Network. 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:51 AM, Edwin said:

Kazushi Miyamoto has resurfaced and is making his MMA debut tomorrow at RIZIN 27 against Tsuyoshi Sudairo who is a former sumo wrestler and now undefeated 2-0 MMA fighter.

He got fucking battered! 

Those strikes after the bell were really uncalled for though, not nice to watch at all

13 hours ago, Dale Wolfe said:

He got fucking battered! 

Those strikes after the bell were really uncalled for though, not nice to watch at all

Yeah, Sudairo cleaned Miyamoto's clock.

Not sure this has been posted before, but here's Miyamoto putting a Tenryu on rookie levels beating on some tiny Japanese indy wrestler called Kani KING.

In these times where it seems everyone is at one another's throats, it's nice to see Wrestling Twitter come together to dunk on Ryan Satin for tweeting his not-at-all-made-up story of how his barber asked him about Bad Bunny being in WWE and how it made him consider watching again. 

(of course he had to turn it into "look at how these people who say they are concerned about mental health all bullying me" because he's always the victim)

Do you like quizzes?
a) youbetcha b) nah man c) who's asking d) tell me more

If you answered a) or d), check out https://www.sporcle.com/search/quizzes/?s=pro wrestling&p=7. Some of them you really need to be  a savant or at least a mega-stan, others aren't worth your time, but there's thousands of quizzes to sift through to find what suits you, sir. Very few are multiple choice, it's generally click or name. Here's a sorta random one to give you an idea https://www.sporcle.com/games/guyletucker/10-to-1-wwe-1 

*Should probably make it clear they're Pro Wrestling quizzes

Doug Furnas once said that in All Japan, you'd go out with a general idea of how long to go but went for however long it took to hit the crowd peak. In the WWF, on the other hand, all they cared about was hitting the time cues. Of course, a big part of that is the difference between an arena product and a live TV/PPV product. Recall that All In nearly ended in disaster because Okada's match went way over the allotted time. They had to drastically cut the main event as a result and still came dangerously close to going off the air with the match still in progress.

Shawn Micheals & Razor Ramon went longer than they should at WM X too, and apparently Savage was pissed at them for being unprofessional and therefore having the 10 men match scrapped. I mean... yeah, I really wanted to see that random ten men tag match with IRS & Tatanka (and whoever, don't remember, the HeadShrinkers and the Smoking Gunns probably)...

35 minutes ago, El-P said:

Shawn Micheals & Razor Ramon went longer than they should at WM X too, and apparently Savage was pissed at them for being unprofessional and therefore having the 10 men match scrapped. I mean... yeah, I really wanted to see that random ten men tag match with IRS & Tatanka (and whoever, don't remember, the HeadShrinkers and the Smoking Gunns probably)...

It wasn’t that the 10-man was going to be some amazing match. It’s that you don’t knowingly cost ten of your co-workers their spot on the biggest show of the year. I’m sure all ten guys got paid,  but it’s still shitty to do that to those guys. 

It also messed with the layout of the show, as they had to go directly from the ladder match into the main event. They slotted that 10-man as a cooldown.

Awhile back when I was going on about where WWE would move the Thunderdome (don't worry, I'm the only one who remembers) I forgot college basketball season was ending soon. They chose the Yuengling Center, better known as the USF Sun Dome, a frequent WWF venue in the '80s and '90s.