TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

She was married to Wesley Blake and had three kids too, just tragic.

Cory (Wesley Blake) is puppy dog of a guy. Heath Slater-like. A "never had a bad day" type personality. 

Cory and Sara's photos were just big broad smiles especially when with the kids. Like with Brodie Lee sometimes life doesn't make sense. 

The Mox-Gage rematch ending in part with interference from W. Morrissey... certainly was a moment. I'm assuming TK wanted to protect Moxley (he did let him get pinned by Gage, since they'd booked it as title vs. career before Mox became AEW champ again), but it also feels like either being tone deaf or an FU to a piece of the fanbase. Feels like we're in a weird new era in that regard. (Either that or there's a hilarious amount to those photos of Lauderdale with Steph McMahon.)

7 minutes ago, brockobama said:

Was this why he didn't get picked up by WWF in 2001 along with that first batch of WCW guys? Was talking to a friend about this the other day, it's very odd to me that they didn't see the potential in him. Or was it that Rey wanted to go back to Mexico for a while?

He was hurt and needed to heal up, and may have had one of those Turner contracts that was still paying off.  JR has talked about it. He said he told Rey a job would be waiting for him.

Maybe its been asked in another thread or even on r/SC, but can anyone maybe rattle off a list of 5-10 other WWE/WCW superstars that were as blatant a rip-off of an existing IP as Dexter Lumis. 

My first thought is Jason The Terrible. I don't know much about the character or his career, but I presume he was just basically "Jason" from Friday the 13th? Impervious to pain, slow moving brawler? Any which way, as far as I know, he never made it to the WWE, WCW, or even ECW with that particular gimmick.

Then I think of Magnum TA looking like Tom Selleck, but even then, it wasn't like Magnum TA's gimmick was that he was a private eye who resided in Hawaii. 

The Goon was sorta like one of those brothers from Slap Shot, but I could also him being based on Bob Probert.

I know in Japan various wrestlers have been based on popular mangas and anime (?), but I'm thinking more in the US.

So, I put it out to all you wrestling superfans, who else would you compare Dexter Lumis as a gimmick that is just so, so, so obviously based on an existing IP (Dexter Morgan from the Dexter books and TV series). I mean, they didn't even change his first name. I feel like I'm drawing a blank but there are a ton of examples I just can't think of...

I dunno, Dexter Lumis is not *just* that Dexter. He has some of that Michael Myers vibe to him (plus he's named after Dr. Loomis)

Wasn't Art Barr's The Juicer character basically a low-rent version of Beetlejuice? Pretty sure Kevin Nash wrestled as Oz in the US, too.

And while slasher icons such as Leatherface, Jason and even Freddy Krueger had their own wrestling versions, nothing beats legally unsafe luchadores. There are just so many Ninja Turtles.

Yeah I don't buy Dexter Lumis as a blatant IP rip off like that, when he doesn't have anything in common with Dexter Morgan beyond the first name and serial killer vibes. 

Lumis has much more in common with the silent stalker killers from the big slasher films like Michael Myers.

They just did the WWE thing of "take two famous names from my character's general theme and that's my wrestling name". 

He could have easily been named Jason Myers or Damien Krueger.

2 hours ago, DMJ said:

The Goon was sorta like one of those brothers from Slap Shot,

Weren't the Dudley Brothers originally based on the Hanson brothers, with the ultraviolence and taped-up spectacles?

Edit: let's not forget Charlotte basically being a distaff Ric.

49 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Weren't the Dudley Brothers originally based on the Hanson brothers, with the ultraviolence and taped-up spectacles?

Yes, the very first incarnation of the Dudleys was basically them being hillbilly versions of the Hanson bothers.