Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers and twitter

Grimmas

Twitter is an interesting beast, where some wrestlers use it to advertise or push their gimmick. I think there is some discussion to be had about how wrestlers should use twitter.

Also who are the best people to follow?

I do find it fascinating that some wrestlers will seek out there name being used in a tweet and re-tweet it, while others will not even re-tweet something if you use their handle in the name.

Today, Mick Foley said he will not direct message with any fan again, because that fan posted their DMs. I think a little silly of Foley there.

I honestly don't blame Foley for his stance because posting the DM conversation was an incredibly shitty thing to do. Especially since the person who he was conversing with thinks he is ACTUALLY in charge of Raw as a real life GM. It was actually silly for him to be discussing WWE's booking with a fan via DM in the first place.

EDIT: I feel like if we're going to talk about it on the board then we need to actually show what is being discussed:

Cu3_w2HUIAEHsoo.jpg

Cu3_w2KVYAAXAo8.jpg

Cu3_w2JVYAArmZj.jpg

Cu3_w2KVMAAgoVQ.jpg

That whole thing is so weird that I don't even know where to begin. Foley engaging the fan in DMs, Foley working-shooting-shooting-working in his responses, the fan posting it publicly, even the fan having this weird half-kayfabe thing going and recommending matches from C-shows. What planet is this?

That whole thing is so weird that I don't even know where to begin. Foley engaging the fan in DMs, Foley working-shooting-shooting-working in his responses, the fan posting it publicly, even the fan having this weird half-kayfabe thing going and recommending matches from C-shows. What planet is this?

Looking into it yesterday on twitter introduced me to a whole different part of wrestling twitter that I did not know existed. Like there are whole groups of fans out there (seemingly with a large portion of them being Bella Stan twitter) who either legitimately think, or just pretend, that what happens on WWE TV is legit.

Cu7gZY_WgAApenW.jpg

Big E and Rusev usually have some pretty funny tweets. I think The Rock tends to interact with a good amount of fans.

That's about all I have. I don't actually follow any of them, because all I really use twitter for is football stuff, but they've been re-tweeted onto my timeline a few times.

Do any current heels use twitter to rile up and troll fans? Seems an ideal medium for it. I thought I saw an indy worker ("The Knightsbridge Fashionista, Jinny") heeling it up on there a couple of weeks back. Don't know if she was going for heat or not, but it struck me then what a great heel could do with the medium.

Imagine someone like Freddie Blassie on there.

Looking into it yesterday on twitter introduced me to a whole different part of wrestling twitter that I did not know existed. Like there are whole groups of fans out there (seemingly with a large portion of them being Bella Stan twitter) who either legitimately think, or just pretend, that what happens on WWE TV is legit.

Cu7gZY_WgAApenW.jpg

No surprise there. There's also obsessed fans who have wrestlers names as their own and just Tweet pics and animated gifs of said wrestler all day. How do thee people get to mount to 20K followers is beyond me.

Do any current heels use twitter to rile up and troll fans? Seems an ideal medium for it. I thought I saw an indy worker ("The Knightsbridge Fashionista, Jinny") heeling it up on there a couple of weeks back. Don't know if she was going for heat or not, but it struck me then what a great heel could do with the medium.

Not strictly wrestling related anymore, but CM Punk was getting trolled by some dude who was trolling him about him tapping out and getting dominated in his UFC fight and Punk told him to continue making ugly kids and the guy got all riled up about it. It was quite funny. I mean, the guy got what he deserved. You troll someone, then you have to be willing to take it back.

Some next level heel work here.

. 4f2a6c595c.jpg

I don't really think you can be a heel on twitter. Either you get the Kevin Owens type response of 'OH MY GOD YAAAS QUEEN DRAG HIM!!!" when you mock fans if you're a well known star or you get the response that Jinny fella got if you're not which is "How dare you insult my friend, I will not be seeking out your matches!"

I agree with Matt, 100%. Before I read his post, that was the comment I was going to make.

This is probably a topic for another thread, but I find Mick Foley's obsession with the women in WWE to be really creepy. I thought it was mildly weird when he was going on about them in his books under the pretense of trying to be all fatherly and mentor-like, but it really has graduated to full-on unsettling.

Like, somebody needs to talk to him, because between the way he acts combined with the way he looks, he has potential psycho written all over him. And seeing the way he acts in his "reality show" did nothing to dispel that impression.

Kevin Pollak said the perfect thing about Twitter as far as being a celebrity, that basically you can take in all these accolades from fans at a safe enough distance, and when someone hates on you you can either block them or RT to your fans who will proceed to pounce on said hater.

I don't know how far the medium should be pushed if we're talking about getting heat and such. Especially in such a tense environment as this anyway (and WWE for the time being has made no endorsements of Trump, though you know Vince is probably dying too).

I am with Matt. Foley being considered a "creep" around women has been around for about a decade now. Ever since Melina at least, if not before. I am of the personal opinion he means well, but I can see it the other way too.

That was the strangest conversation I have ever read. The way Foley reprimanded him (the guy was NOT even out of line! He did not swear. He was not angry. He just stated his case!), and then told he was going to bed. Foley acted like he knew the person personally. It was such a strange tone. There was a weird kayfabe element that Foley somehow was booking the show, but I guess that could be covered by Foley does have some stroke (been watching a lot of late 90s stuff recently) so if Foley were to present matches to a McMahon or someone else in charge he may be listened to. It was the tone that was just so strange.

On top of that, it was not even a particularly scandalous or revealing conversation. It was just two smart marks arguing over booking and who to push! Just one of the smart marks happened to be Mick Foley.

I am with Matt. Foley being considered a "creep" around women has been around for about a decade now. Ever since Melina at least, if not before. I am of the personal opinion he means well, but I can see it the other way too.

That was the strangest conversation I have ever read. The way Foley reprimanded him (the guy was NOT even out of line! He did not swear. He was not angry. He just stated his case!), and then told he was going to bed. Foley acted like he knew the person personally. It was such a strange tone. There was a weird kayfabe element that Foley somehow was booking the show, but I guess that could be covered by Foley does have some stroke (been watching a lot of late 90s stuff recently) so if Foley were to present matches to a McMahon or someone else in charge he may be listened to. It was the tone that was just so strange.

On top of that, it was not even a particularly scandalous or revealing conversation. It was just two smart marks arguing over booking and who to push! Just one of the smart marks happened to be Mick Foley.

The tone and judgment are what really got me here. In what world would you want an employee speaking to a client or customer like that? There's no reason he needs to directly engage with people at all, so why go out of your way to do so in this fashion? Presumably he doesn't realize how it comes off but its just horrible.

To say nothing of his now shattered trust in the confidence of complete strangers on Twitter. Just so strange.

Honestly CM Punk has been one of the best Twitter follows for a while, between his ongoing feud with the LA Kings' mascot (both give and take pretty well) and his replies to dummies who try to take pot shots at him.

Foley's displayed creepy behavior prior to Twitter, and this latest development has had people mentioning he likes to slide into the DMs of female fans.

So, "Foley is all creepy with women" is the new trendy gimmick I guess. And with "the way he looks", he managed to get a model for a wife. People should just settle the fuck down. The guy has been an active RAINN supporter for years too.

Have you read his first two books? He goes into detail about being friends with Stacey and how her then boyfriend Test was jealous that Foley was trying to seduce her. He talks about how hanging out with the Divas reminds him of the innocence of little children, which at the time I read it, I found highly disturbing. Seriously, he says that. He tells a bizarre story about a scene he wrote for one of his fiction books (about a woman eating a sandwich) which he then gave to several of the Divas to read, and he brags about how it turned some of them on. And that's not even getting into how he felt the need to share the details of how his second child was conceived. Then comes the third book, one of the main points of which is how desperate he is to help Melina and her career.

In short...creepy.

Since his most recent comeback, he seems to be spending an inordinate amount of time championing the women of WWE, and being quite proud of himself for doing so. When I mention his looks, I'm sorry...but when you're a big, hairy, disheveled looking dude wearing sweatpants and T-shirts of the most popular women in the company...then you look creepy. And I say that as a big, hairy, disheveled looking dude who is currently wearing sweatpants. If I spent all my time swooning over my female co-workers, and extolling their virtues to one and all, you know how I'd look?

CREEPY.

As far as his wife, I don't want to get slanderous. This isn't DVDVR. But there are issues there, which come across in his book, and even more so on his new show Holy Foley. If you haven't seen them, I'm not going to get into them. But the fact that his wife was once an attractive model really doesn't enter into the situation. If anything, it might be a motive behind some of Foley's creepy behavior.

Bottom line is, whether you want to admit it or not, some of Foley's behavior over the years when it comes to female talent appears quite weird. Even if it is perfectly innocent, you have to admit that it looks weird. If you don't want to admit that, fine...but it's hard not to see, in my opinion.