Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

now we're back to Double J's Fun Time Emporium that I mentioned before finally made me punt on them for good.

One of the many things that astounds me about TNA - I'm sorry, I mean IMPACT - right now is this...

You have two hours of TV a week. You have a young, and in many cases virtually unknown roster to try and get over.

So what do you do?

Devote a ridiculous amount of TV time to an absolutely pointless and cringe-worthy storyline involving your two ANNOUNCERS feuding. Do they actually think people are going to tune in to see what comes of the amazing Jeremy Borash vs. Josh Mathews feud? Are they really that dense?

Is Impact's Josh Matthews in this feud supposed to be their own version of a heel Michael Cole?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure...maybe. I had tapped out on WWE programming by the time they did the heel Michael Cole angle. He was always a heel to me from the moment he replaced JR, due to the fact that he sucks.

In all honesty, I don't even know what they're trying or hoping to achieve with the Borash vs. Mathews angle. Unless the idea is to irritate and alienate the few remaining hardcore fans who were still giving them a chance. In which case, it's working brilliantly.

I will openly admit that I used to actually pay for the weekly Pay Per Views, during their entire run for the most part. (In retrospect, I feel terrible about that, as it means I was inadvertently responsible for putting money in Vince Russo's pocket. I feel so dirty, and the dirt won't wash off.)

When they stopped doing the weekly PPV shows and switched to Impact, I couldn't watch anymore because we didn't get Fox Sports in Canada. (We still don't, actually.) So that was the end of that, and by the time they got on Spike TV it was a;most 18 months later, by that time I no longer had any real interest in TNA.

Serious question. I was trying to think of a promotion that has ever been worse and was struggling.

I've finally reached the point of when this question was asked. And although the D'Amore era (2005/2006) was excellent, since Russo came in the TV has become unwatchable. Still some good stuff on PPV because of the talent, but the booking is wretched. If you consider the ratio talent available/quality of the product, then yes, TNA, at that point, is the worst promotion I've seen. It's actually worse than WCW 2000 (and I should know) overall. That Sting vs Abyss feud is the pit of hell. Big matches and pinfalls are thrown on TV in 5 mn throwaway stuff. The VKM shit with Chrystie Hemme is eye gouging material. The X division has been turned into joke material. Kurt Angle, woman beater. Anyway. Russo… Yeah. Worst promotion ever in a matter of a few weeks.

Is that the most irrelevant acquisition in pro-wrestling history ? Can they do an invasion angle out of it ? Will TNA outlive the next atomic warfare ?

They already did an invasion type angle in 2015 when Jarrett returned the last time and briefly took over Impact. It ended in Lethal Lockdown for control of the company with Dixie's Team TNA vs. Jarrett's Team GFW.

What exactly was Global Force Wrestling? I was not keeping track of it; did it run any shows? Or was it essentially a talent agency which contracted wrestlers and made deals for them to appear on various promotions' shows?

What exactly was Global Force Wrestling? I was not keeping track of it; did it run any shows? Or was it essentially a talent agency which contracted wrestlers and made deals for them to appear on various promotions' shows?

They ran live events mostly in minor league baseball stadiums throughout the summer of 2015 and ran three sets of TV Tapings in Las Vegas where they crowned World/Womens/Nex*Gen/Tag champions, but they never got a TV deal so it never aired. Then they mostly did co-promoted shows with various promotions in 2016.

I had a crazy theory all those years ago that GFW was just a shell company to rebrand TNA and lose the stigma attached to the name. They'd slowly phase out Dixie, Jarrett would take back control of the promotion and then they'd present themselves as a new show with new potential.

That all happened (in one way or another), except for the renaming. If this is one step closer to completing that theory, then TNA's the most TNA company alive.

They ran live events mostly in minor league baseball stadiums throughout the summer of 2015 and ran three sets of TV Tapings in Las Vegas where they crowned World/Womens/Nex*Gen/Tag champions, but they never got a TV deal so it never aired. Then they mostly did co-promoted shows with various promotions in 2016.

I don't know if I would call them co-promoted shows. It seems like the idea was that they book 1 or 2 Global Force guys (mostly the Jarretts) on your indie show and because of that they would get the credit for the show under the "Global Force Wrestling" banner. Even though the indie did 95% of the work and most of the card involves their talent.

Call me crazy but I think that's a very smart move.

Me too. The immediate twitter reaction is "LOLTNA" despite the fact that everyone has been saying for years that they needed to rebrand. Global Force Wrestling is a better name than Total Nonstop Action or just Impact Wrestling and it's better than a completely new name because GFW already has everything trademarked and ready to go.

Come on, Jeffey has been away from the McMahons for 17 years straight, building his own little legacy as a World Champion and promotion owner, now he got his stuff back while rebranding it, with that idiot Dixie finally away after years of debacles one after another. Not to say this will finally amount to anything now, but Double J is one hell of an old-school carny.

I'm watching Slammiversary and already Don West and Robert Flores are an improvement on commentary.

So far the tag title match was a fun spotfest, and DeAngelo Williams was surprisingly competent for a celebrity match.

Looks like they're doing the HBK angle with James Storm who collapsed after being run into the post earlier in the strap match with EC3.

....and just when I was starting to think "well this isn't so bad" we go right to the Josh Matthews angle recapping him being discount heel Michael Cole. At least they did a tease earlier where Joseph Park hinted about relying on old friends so maybe we'll see Abyss killing Josh as payoff to all this. That would almost be worth it.