Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Impact last night was garbage. That said, on a whim I watched their completely unpromoted and irrelevant PPV tonight and it was actually good. Not great, but good. Only one really bad match on the show, everything else was decent or better, with a couple of very good matches. Some of the talking segments were not good, but nothing overstayed it's welcome. The booking feels aimless, and they clearly have no clue how to use most of the roster they have, but the even itself was well worth watching. My own view is that they badly need new blood in to mix with the guys they have who are actually good, but I don't expect that to happen until March.

Impact last night was garbage. That said, on a whim I watched their completely unpromoted and irrelevant PPV tonight and it was actually good. Not great, but good. Only one really bad match on the show, everything else was decent or better, with a couple of very good matches. Some of the talking segments were not good, but nothing overstayed it's welcome. The booking feels aimless, and they clearly have no clue how to use most of the roster they have, but the even itself was well worth watching. My own view is that they badly need new blood in to mix with the guys they have who are actually good, but I don't expect that to happen until March.

Why March?

After some fairly decent reviews I caught a few of the matches from the TNA PPV on Friday and they weren't half bad. I've been a big fan of Lashley over the last 12 months and felt his match with Davey Richards was really good, where he managed to reign in a lot of Davey's worst tendencies to do everything at 100 MPH. The The X Division 4 way was fun, although as discussed above the division badly needs some new faces - the same 5 or 6 guys have been facing each other in basically every match for the last couple of years - and it would also be good if there were some actual feuds and characters in the division as basically every title match is a multi man match with people all just thrown in randomly.

Moose/Bennett was nothing ground breaking, but was enjoyable and had a lot of energy and intensity too it - and miles better than the boring match they had on Impact, and I thought the women's match was also pretty decent. After the Hardys, Lashley and Eddie Edwards, I think Rosemary was arguably the best performer in TNA last year and hopefully they rebuild the knockouts division around her. Like the X Division, that's another area that needs some new blood, although WWE/NXT are sweeping up a lot of the very talented women out there.

It's just classic TNA that the TV show they produced this week was so bad, and that the show that probably barely anyone will say ended up fairly good. If what they put on for the PPV had been on Impact last week they would've got a lot more positive buzz. While again, nothing too groundbreaking, there was also a decent bit of intrigue on the PPV about where they go next for a few different characters, but fear that this monster taping, while I can see the economic argument, will lead to the weekly TV getting stale pretty quickly.

• 1 month later...

This thread was created on February 11, 2007.. it is February 12, 2017. That is 10 looong years of absolute rubbish. I quit watching 'modern' wrestling in late 2008 or early 2009. I was a huge TNA fan in 2006. I loved the Sting-Jarrett feud and its payoff. I loved LAX-Styles & Daniels. I even liked Jim Cornette. Something.. something happened in between November 2006 and January 2007. Whatever went wrong went completely wrong. All hell broke loose and yes.. yes this is the very worst promotion in the history of professional wrestling. What other company chased away every single opportunity they ever had to be a contender? I also agree with Billy. Dixie Carter is no dummy. She's a born heel. She's done the lot of us.

So , let me see if I understand what going on with TNA. . Anthem spent millions get rid of Carter and Corgan . Now , Anthem has a shell of company with few revenue streams. The only money coming in to company is from an India TV deal and a barter deal with POP TV. There is no touring , PPV , VOD or IPPV business. Now Anthem wants to cut the office and talent pay by 50 % , instead of investing in new talent that could rebuild the business.

They cannot reach new deals with the Hardys brothers and Drew Galloway , yet they have the money to hire Jeff Jarrett , Dutch Mantell and Scott D' amore. All three who were part of a failed TNA regime and at this point are just a unneeded expense. It looks like Jeff and friends want to recreate that country club environment that they enjoyed in the Spike era.

Jeff has talent deals with CRASH and NOAH promotions , yet he is already at odds with ROH . JJ gets deals with foreign promotions , while alienating ROH . ROH could provide some booking for TNA talents and they could run inter-company angles with TNA taht could generate buzz for both parties.

Also JJ is going to fill in the Impact talent roster with GFW talent. I find that odd because GFW does not have a talent roster because GFW does not really exist. This all sounds like a train wreck .

So , let me see if I understand what going on with TNA. . Anthem spent millions get rid of Carter and Corgan . Now , Anthem has a shell of company with few revenue streams. The only money coming in to company is from an India TV deal and a barter deal with POP TV. There is no touring , PPV , VOD or IPPV business. Now Anthem wants to cut the office and talent pay by 50 % , instead of investing in new talent that could rebuild the business.

They cannot reach new deals with the Hardys brothers and Drew Galloway , yet they have the money to hire Jeff Jarrett , Dutch Mantell and Scott D' amore. All three who were part of a failed TNA regime and at this point are just a unneeded expense. It looks like Jeff and friends want to recreate that country club environment that they enjoyed in the Spike era.

Jeff has talent deals with CRASH and NOAH promotions , yet he is already at odds with ROH . JJ gets deals with foreign promotions , while alienating ROH . ROH could provide some booking for TNA talents and they could run inter-company angles with TNA taht could generate buzz for both parties.

Also JJ is going to fill in the Impact talent roster with GFW talent. I find that odd because GFW does not have a talent roster because GFW does not really exist. This all sounds like a train wreck .

I mean you do realize the 3 office guys are obviously going to require a lot less money than 3 wrestlers who are very much in demand right now? As much as The Hardys have really been the only thing creating buzz for TNA lately, I can also see where that buzz has also made them too expensive to keep for a company that as you pointed out really have no viable revenue streams right now.

It seems like they ARE in fact looking to invest in new talent, it just happens to be cheaper talent who have never gotten big breaks before like Caleb Konley and Kongo Kong who will probably be willing to sign deals that aren't worth a ton of money just for the TV exposure (however limited Pop TV exposure is now) I think by picking up a few lower profile guys on the indies and better utilizing guys they already have signed like Jessie Godderz and Moose they can still put on a viable TV product with a roster of guys that are fairly unique to TNA.

I mean you do realize the 3 office guys are obviously going to require a lot less money than 3 wrestlers who are very much in demand right now? As much as The Hardys have really been the only thing creating buzz for TNA lately, I can also see where that buzz has also made them too expensive to keep for a company that as you pointed out really have no viable revenue streams right now.

It seems like they ARE in fact looking to invest in new talent, it just happens to be cheaper talent who have never gotten big breaks before like Caleb Konley and Kongo Kong who will probably be willing to sign deals that aren't worth a ton of money just for the TV exposure (however limited Pop TV exposure is now) I think by picking up a few lower profile guys on the indies and better utilizing guys they already have signed like Jessie Godderz and Moose they can still put on a viable TV product with a roster of guys that are fairly unique to TNA.

If money is so tight why would spend it on bringing the ex - booking team . They already had guys there that could book the shows. The money that went to those three could have been shifted over to help pay the Hardy's and Galloway . I mean they are cutting everyone pay by 50% , not locking down the Hardy's and yet they have money for Jarrett and his pals . Does not make make any business sense .

TNA has to resign the Hardy's brothers. Their gimmick is the only TNA thing has going for them , so losing those two would be a crippling blow. TNA needs the casual fan to survive . The casual fan might make it a point to watch the Hardy's , Galloway and Bobby Lashley . Guys like Caleb Konley , Moose and Kongo Kong are okay to rebuild the undercard but they are not going to move the needle with their audience .TNA has a barter deal with POP , they have to get the rating the Hardy's and their wacky gimmick can deliver.

Resigning your top stars and keeping the audience you have should have been the top priority . Resigning Jarrett and company is a waste of money and create a whole new set of political problems for the company .

Also these three office guys are not cheap . Jarrett is not going to work on the cheap . JJ has a ego the size of Texas . Those three are getting paid good money , which should go to the talent. The ones would do all of the real work. At this Jarrett is really pretty worthless to TNA , a stupid hire. Hell they could have given the book to Matt Hardy , he is much more in touch with want the audiences wants than Jarrett. Jarrett's booking helped make TNA what it is today . Jeff is like the Greg Gagne of his generation .

TNA has few revenue streams , but if they want to create any new ones Anthem has to invest in talent , . Anthem looks to be just like Sinclair , they want to drink champagne on a beer budget . Anthem must inject some outside capital into this husk of a company , if they ever want to get a return on their investment . That is how I see things , I could be wrong.

They CAN'T move the needle on Pop TV. It just isn't in enough homes. They are also NEVER going to make money on that barter deal because the whole reason they got dumped from Destination America is that advertisers didn't want to buy spots during Impact, which has nothing to do with which wrestlers are or are not on the show.

Well I kinda of disagree , but hey that what makes America great . TNA has , to have 3 or 4 talents that people know or no one will watch the show . You cannot have a show full of unknowns . ECW had Shane Douglas , Terry Funk , Cactus Jack and a bunch of unknowns . TNA has Jarrett , Raven , Jerry Lynn and a bunch of unknowns. Now ,Impact has the Hardy's , Galloway , Lashley and a bunch of unknowns. You have to a have a handful of guys people know , so you can bring in some type of audience . That allows the network to generate some money of ads and give the new guys time to get over with the audience. Some money is better than none.

The use of established talent give these companies time to build a new talent while still have proven talent that can draw money . . Tommy Dreamer, Tazz , Sabu , RVD , the Dudleys , Aj Styles , Samoa Joe , James Storm , Bobby Roode and Eric Young are examples .

IMOO, the way to rebuild TNA is not on POP TV. POP TV can be a piece but it is not a fix. They need to start running shows in regions of the country where their talent has a chance to draw. If you have the Hardy run shows in the old Crockett territory . Then you fill the under card with local talent Caleb Konley , Trevor Lee and .Andrew Everett. Then you use combination of contracted talent and locals that show future promise. They could also draw in under served markets like Nashville , Atlanta and the the Ohio Valley

TNA used to run weekend loops with the same talent and same matches every night. Anthem should use the ROH / Indy style and try to make every a special event for their audience . Then use the DVD/ VOD/IPPV model to generate future future revenues stream . In the long run they have start a digital network to build the company , but that would take years. Right now they need to get out to the people , run great shows and try to win over fans one at a time. You got to have established main eventers to start building the fan base.

Also , if TNA is not going to work with ROH they should approach other regional TV companies to try and get air tome. An example would be Sinclair top rival , Nextstar Broadcasting.They have as many stations as Sinclair. Then you lay the POP TV deal , Regional US TV , Canadian cable TV , a digital service , oversea TV deals and house shows , then you would have a base for future growth . Long term get a get the TV shows on Netflix.

Of course this sounds like Mission Impossible , but it could be a good start in developing a 5 year plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night's show had the best wedding angle in years. The crowd was super hot for it, everyone was perfect in their roles, and the closing scene of Allie and Braxton finally declaring their love while jilted bride Laurel on her knees in the background chugging champagne dejectedly was like the last panel of a great comic book arc.

The Impact Zone crowd really took to Allie as a sympathetic babyface, helped greatly by Maria being great as her asshole bully boss. Maria was forcing Allie's crush (and real life husband) Braxton to marry the evil Laurel Van Ness just to hurt Allie because she's just that evil. She threatened to fire Allie if he didn't go through with it. Of course it was obvious what was going to happen at the wedding but that made it even better because it was just 100 pure pro wrestling corny greatness.

Last night's show had the best wedding angle in years. The crowd was super hot for it, everyone was perfect in their roles, and the closing scene of Allie and Braxton finally declaring their love while jilted bride Laurel on her knees in the background chugging champagne dejectedly was like the last panel of a great comic book arc.

Agreed 100%. Fantastic and I loved the crowd being so into it.

And by all accounts, they won't even let Matt round out the character arc at the next tapings. Amazing quotes in the Wrestling Sheet story from the lawyers for Anthem.

The Hardys are a draw and TNA doesn't travel or, you know, run shows you pay to see, so I can see the business side. But imagine pissing them off like this on the way out - and now in addition to Galloway's belt, you have another title that will have to be vacated.