Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and their Sony Six deal requires them to tour India (and they haven't, and don't look like they can/will anytime soon) so right now Anthem just won control of a company that has a grand total of one income source that could get axed at any moment.

When this thread is locked one day, can the final post simply read; "Yes", to answer the question in the topic title.

Think about this: this THREAD was made on 11 Feb 2007 - That's almost a decade ago... and we've been talking about TNA being shit the ENTIRE time. I don't think there's any question it's the worst promotion of all-time anymore. A decade of head-shaking, eye-rolling & confused faces.

Challenge in the UK just announced they're parting ways with them in January 2017. So they just lost half of the only two sources of income they had left.

Reading TNA's response is even better - trying to spin it as a good thing, as apparently us over here in the UK have been up in arms for the past 5 years as we haven't been getting Impact until a couple of days later when everything has already been spoiled... As a fairly decent market for them in the past, you'd think they would be trying to get on another channel here but not sure I can think of any that would be obvious.

On the wider point of Challenge, they have been a really good partner for TNA in this country and as they are on Freeview, I know at one point they were getting better ratings than WWE due to them being on Sky which you have to pay for. The partnership was also decent for the UK scene as it meant that after Impact you got some British wrestling on TV for the first time in years. I'd be interested to know if there is in any way a small opening for a British promotion to try and get on the channel again... or if dealing with Dixie and co has soured Challenge on dealing with people in wrestling.

They have also announced the grand opening of their 'Global Development Centre'.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/tna-sets-al-snow-wrestling-academy-as-their-global-development-center/

Before anyone gets too excited about this being the second coming of the Performance Centre this is basically in a warehouse about half an hour or so from where I live in a smallish commuter town on the edge of London. There was a story about it in the local paper where the journalist basically seemed bemused about the whole thing

I hope when it's all said and done and TNA is gone, like for-real for-real gone, the narrative doesn't become that it was always shit. There were many times, even recently, where the in ring stuff was decent to good, sometimes even great.

Agreed, I think it's been on fire this year and the best it's been since 2012.

...and their Sony Six deal requires them to tour India (and they haven't, and don't look like they can/will anytime soon) so right now Anthem just won control of a company that has a grand total of one income source that could get axed at any moment.

lol yeah that is not happening. If they did, they will get zero people to pay here. You know how Vince's biggest success is that for so many people, wrestling just equals WWE? That is the embodiment of wrestling culture here in India. Of course they could try and pass themselves off as a WWE B-show, but given that India is WWE's 3rd biggest market here and they have been making a heavy PR push here for a few years now, no way does Vince let that slide.

Doesn't really fit with the theme and title of the thread, but a small amount of praise for TNA, in that I just watched last weeks Eddie Edwards/Bobby Lashley title match and as I have done with all their previous matches over the last few months, really enjoyed it. I would never have put the belt on Edwards, as I think Lashley was doing some really strong work as a dominant champion (taking the belt off him fits better with the thread title), but all the matches have been really decent and they have good chemistry. I think Edwards gets lumped in a lot with Davey Richards as they are a tag team, but he's another guy like Lashley that I think has had a really strong year despite the turmoil all around.

Doesn't really fit with the theme and title of the thread, but a small amount of praise for TNA, in that I just watched last weeks Eddie Edwards/Bobby Lashley title match and as I have done with all their previous matches over the last few months, really enjoyed it. I would never have put the belt on Edwards, as I think Lashley was doing some really strong work as a dominant champion (taking the belt off him fits better with the thread title), but all the matches have been really decent and they have good chemistry. I think Edwards gets lumped in a lot with Davey Richards as they are a tag team, but he's another guy like Lashley that I think has had a really strong year despite the turmoil all around.

Agreed, Lashley's become my favorite guy in wrestling. I wouldn't have taken the title off of him either but the matches have been good stuff and he continues to absolutely kill it on the mic. I loved the first two Lashley/Edwards matches and this would've felt more fitting if they kept that momentum building instead of Edwards winning the title coming off a losing streak. The title change match was short but this past week was good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Billy Corgan on Dixie Carter:

"There's a little joke that I make about Dixie Carter and it goes something like this. She survived Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Vince Russo, Dutch Mantel, Bruce Prichard, and Jeff Jarrett, and now, by extension, Billy Corgan. Okay, so if add up those list of people that she, quote-unquote, and this is my joke, survived, then you say, what makes a person want to do that? And I think the simplest answer is the truest answer. You have somebody so desperate to be in that spot that they will literally do anything, say anything, be anything, and rub anybody out of the way, to maintain that spot. And there is a common belief that you hear, obviously, when you're involved with TNA, professionally, as I was.

"There is a common belief out there that Dixie is dumb and easily worked. I would like to posit to the world a completely different theory and it's the exact opposite. She's the ultimate worker because she worked all those people, including me. She gets you to believe something about her that's not true, and maybe gets you to underestimate her intelligence, her ruthlessness, that she can still somehow come out on top. And the fact that she's willing to be so publicly humiliated, repeatedly, I think shows you how deeply she's invested in the public personality or the public opportunity that she wants to have. Don't ask me the deeper psychology because I am not a psychologist, but I've never seen anything like it and I've been in the entertainment business for 30 years."

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/1201/619871/billy-corgan-on-tna-settlement/

• 5 weeks later...

Could be good times . TNA / Impact needs to find an identity . I think the company should focus more on the in ring product and give up on their futile attempt to mimic the WWE.

Hopefully , TNA and ROH will be able to trade talent , which could help both companies maintain and slowly build their fan bases.. TNA also need to hire some with extensive ring time to book the product. Someone like Lance Storm would be a good choice. Someone who can actually wrestle , lay out matches and book programs from start to finish. The booking needs to be logical and easy for all of the fans to follow.

They also need to create their own stars instead of overpaying for recently fired WWE talent and/or overpaying ROH midcard acts. Overpaying for Maria , Mike Bennett and Moose was not the best business move for a cash poor company. TNA should just watch Smart Mark Video promotions and invite unsigned talent to try camps. They should have 4 to 6 known names and create a new generation of wrestling stars to fill out the roster. That makes the most sense for both the business and creative end of the business.We shall see what happens next..

They really need to do what WCW attempted to do in 2000. Take a hiatus, and then do a complete relaunch, and hopefully re-brand things. Memphis Mark already pretty much summed up some of the steps they need to take, like *NOT* looking like WWE lite, and focusing more on the in-ring product.

Or they could just make the entire TV show Total Nonstop Deletion style.