goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, NintendoLogic said:

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2022/1/5/22868556/cody-rhodes-regrets-anthony-ogogo-angle-race-relations-american-dream-promo

Cody recently admitted that the Ogogo feud was a failure on just about every level. That would seem to poke a hole in arguments that he's supposed to be getting booed and the angles and promos that caused crowds to turn on him were galaxy brain 11th dimensional chess moves to make him a heel who thinks he's a babyface.

He kept saying “the content was good.” It reads like a very weird admission. 

Thinking about my favorite AEW story of 2021. Imagine being told 5 years ago that in 2021, WWE will feel threatened by the rising popularity of a DVDVR poster's competing wrestling company and in an attempt to embarrass that company by destroying them in TV ratings, they will load up their network show and a follow-up on cable. The DVDVR poster will respond by throwing Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki on YouTube out of spite and changing absolutely nothing else. The move will backfire on WWE, and the DVDVR poster will get the last laugh.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

Kenny fighting with random fans/haters/trolls on Twitter and accusing them of being pedophiles (as an insult, I guess?) is just another example of people needing to stay the fuck away from the platform.

His response was very immature but I am not going to give him too much grief given that it started cuz someone for the 5 millionth time called him a pedo and a groomer, all cuz he tweeted about the Baker-Riho match. If I kept hearing shit like that every day, I would occasionally be immature too. 

....and if we're being really fair, he keeps getting these comments because Cornette constantly implies he had a sexual relationship with Riho and therefore he's a pedo. Now any time Kenny mentions her he gets tons of Corny creeps in his mentions making the same implications. 

There was also some folks asking why Kenny is apparently still cool with Scrull, and his response is summed up as " Cornette's an asshole cuck!" And he called a guy a pedo based on the guys profile pic of him and his daughter. 
Lots of stupidity to go around.

And it's not Twitter's fault. I've seen folks seem to blame the platform when people act like assholes. That's like me saying this message board made ME act like an asshole the many times I have.

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

There was also some folks asking why Kenny is apparently still cool with Scrull, and his response is summed up as " Cornette's an asshole cuck!" And he called a guy a pedo based on the guys profile pic of him and his daughter. 
Lots of stupidity to go around.

That guy literally accused Omega of being a groomer and a pedo cuz of an old picture of him and Riho when Riho was a child trainee. Omega pointed his display picture out to him and used the same logic, and then doubled down when the guy said it's his daughter. It was stupid and immature, but it wasn't out of nowhere. That guy had made like 50 comments in Omega's replies along those lines. 

For whatever reason, people, especially on Twitter, just lose their shit when it comes to Omega. We here at PWO have been able to criticise his work - sometimes really harshly - without making it personal, but it's apparently impossible for a lot of people to diss him without being extremely homophobic and/or accuse him of being a pedo, and even say bullshit like he is being investigated in Japan for sex crimes!

I sometimes feel bad for wrestlers because I do think some of them have the mindset before they become jaded that it would be great to interact with fans more. Very few wrestlers have kept good relationships with many fans at this point because it's become so toxic, and while in some cases I do think the wrestlers think they're better than the audience like in the old days, I don't think that's all there is to it anymore. People like Cody, the Bucks and maybe even Omega to an extent were far more fan-friendly and willing to interact a few years ago than they are now, and I can't say I blame them for pulling back.

So Moxley’s first match back will not be with AEW but will rather be with GCW at their Hammerstein show against Homicide, which I thought was an interesting development. I figured that AEW would want to give him the opportunity to return however he wanted to on TV, but guessing this is giving him the chance to come back in an environment he feels would be the better way to return. Never thought I’d see that, to be honest. A welcome development. 

The most interesting thing Dave said on WOR was talking about the need for AEW to do a branding campaign to differentiate themselves from WWE and low-class wrestling to advertisers and set themselves up for a major increase when they renew. This is who we are, this is our audience, they're not a poor or uneducated audience, etc. WWE did something similar years ago when it became clear TV rights was becoming more important to the future.

So according to Fightful, Cody's is working without a contract as his initial deal expired.

493840a90fb43c2d1b1c926fda464892.png

I can see him doing this for a storyline on his reality show and/or a Rumble appearance to try to get a big deal with either company. But at the end of the day I think he stays in AEW. I'm not a fan of Cody but this is still relevant news.

51 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

So according to Fightful, Cody's is working without a contract as his initial deal expired.

493840a90fb43c2d1b1c926fda464892.png

I can see him doing this for a storyline on his reality show and/or a Rumble appearance to try to get a big deal with either company. But at the end of the day I think he stays in AEW. I'm not a fan of Cody but this is still relevant news.

It could be BS to throw off rampant speculation about a return of Y2J to the Judas singalong-ing Saint Louie crowd, but there is a report saying expect no one from AEW at the Rumble.

Of course doing things sans an actual contract is a different story entirely.

But as that piece says, Rhodes is a major player in the company, sure for the sake of a “getting the most out of AEW” storyline it’d be fun one-off, but probably not the best idea in the world if it’s not for an AEW storyline (ie if Omega showed up at last year’s Rumble in a scenario akin to his Impact appearances).

The EVPs probably have a separate performing deal so this most likely doesn't mean much, but it is quite a thing to consider that if Cody did leave it wouldn't even be that damaging tp AEW at the moment. There's so many super talented people working there now they've reached the stage where one top guy leaving wouldn't be the end of the world. 

If Cody leaving also means he takes Brandi with him, I think overall it's just a net positive for AEW to be honest.

I say that as someone that thinks the first PPV with the Cody/Dustin match was one of the top matches in company history, too. I think Cody has value but lately he's just been a headache.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

The EVPs probably have a separate performing deal so this most likely doesn't mean much, but it is quite a thing to consider that if Cody did leave it wouldn't even be that damaging tp AEW at the moment. There's so many super talented people working there now they've reached the stage where one top guy leaving wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Based on that Fightful Select report, Cody doesn't have an EVP deal. He's an entirely free agent as we speak.

This is bizarre as fuck, especially the fact they gave him the TNT title back at this time. Also, having a TNT interim champion with a belt for two weeks was odd as fuck too. Everything is just bizarre and none of it makes sense. Unless he's very at odds with Omega & The Bucks (he says he is not), I have no idea why anyone would think he'd leave the company he helped create only 3 years ago when they are still growing.

Per Meltzer, Cody is going to be on Dynamite tomorrow and absolutely will not be in the Rumble. He'll probably do something like come out and sign his new contract in blood while making a reference to gory self-mutilation.

In other news, Every Time I Die has broken up. I wonder if that means we'll start seeing the Butcher in AEW full-time.