Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sherdog.com administrative editor, radio personality, writer, and dude who I think is in charge of the fight finder.

I've had pleasant exchanges with him via emails, and I've liked his past work (I haven't kept up with his Sherdog.com work for about a year so can't speak for his current stuff), but I just found it to be such a bizzare comparison.

The roundtable Sherdog pods are about all the info I ever need going into a UFC weekend.

That being said, Jordan Breen is smart, but not in awe of smart like Stephen Hawking.

Yeah he is very sharp guy who at times gets the pretenious label thrown at him. He's a setup up on John Pollock or Ariel Helwini - who I both like to make a rough comparison.

Jordan is my go to guy for audio UFC coverage on the bigger fight weekends. Skilled broadcaster and his context setting pre-ample to his podcast always gets me excited.

When I was at my peak UFC fandom a few years ago, I used to listen to his shows during the week, too, and those were also great. He knows technique, etc. far more than someone like Pollock does. Definitely can understand why some would consider him pretentious, but he really knows his shit regardless, more than anyone else in the business.

Forgive my ignorance... who is Jordan Breen?

This is PWO where you never have to ask forgiveness for MMA ignorance.

"Swipe...swipe...swipe...swipe...swipe...swipe...swipe...swipe..." - My thumb talking to Adobe Reader on my phone every week for that 25-50% of the WON.

I do the same thing but for New Japan also. Then I get annoyed if my phone loses its place since I have to start over.

TO BE FAIR, I did actually read the Jon Jones (that the right name?) stuff this week because of how it was presented, so I guess I'm a huge hypocrite or something.

Anyone know if Dave plans to do an Obit for Ken Lucas?

Wonder what obit type it will be:

• All-out obit in the feature section
  • Extended story in "Here & There"
  • Bare-bones writeup in Here & There, with a "we'll have more on Lucas in a future issue", which often isn't followed up on

Anyone know if Dave plans to do an Obit for Ken Lucas?

Wonder what obit type it will be:

• All-out obit in the feature section
  • Extended story in "Here & There"
  • Bare-bones writeup in Here & There, with a "we'll have more on Lucas in a future issue", which often isn't followed up on

Greg Oliver over at Slam has a decent obit on Ken Lucas if anybody is interested.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2014/08/07/21860241.html

I know I've said it before (and probably in this very thread, in fact), but I think the F4W/WON site, in general, would benefit from a massive format overhaul. I mean, I'm sure that Dave has already written a part of what we will see in this week's Observer, so why wait until Wednesday to post it? Why not post more subscriber-only content over the week, rather than post an entire WON in one day? Then he can assemble bits and pieces of what he has written over the course of the week for the site into the print-only Observer on Wednesdays for distribution. I just feel like there is a better way for the Observer site to operate, as there still seems to be a very 1990's vibe to how that site works, which isn't surprising given that Dave and Bryan both seem to be pretty old-fashioned people, but it's still disappointing.

On another note, the Observer site might actually be one of the worst-designed sites I visit on a daily basis. The overall look of that site could benefit from a drastic redesign even if they didn't change a single thing about how content is released.

I know I've said it before (and probably in this very thread, in fact), but I think the F4W/WON site, in general, would benefit from a massive format overhaul. I mean, I'm sure that Dave has already written a part of what we will see in this week's Observer, so why wait until Wednesday to post it? Why not post more subscriber-only content over the week, rather than post an entire WON in one day? Then he can assemble bits and pieces of what he has written over the course of the week for the site into the print-only Observer on Wednesdays for distribution. I just feel like there is a better way for the Observer site to operate, as there still seems to be a very 1990's vibe to how that site works, which isn't surprising given that Dave and Bryan both seem to be pretty old-fashioned people, but it's still disappointing.

On another note, the Observer site might actually be one of the worst-designed sites I visit on a daily basis. The overall look of that site could benefit from a drastic redesign even if they didn't change a single thing about how content is released.

Everything about the site sucks. There's no polish to it whatsoever. Some could say the same of the newsletter, at least in terms of layout and formatting (I don't mean content). The message board is a complete joke too, though maybe that's the point. Compare all of that to the Torch, which is miles ahead in its presentation (print and online).

Another problem with Elizabeth is finding someone to induct her (that has more than a loose connection to her) and someone to accept (probably end up being a sibling/relative that no one knows).

I believe after Liz's death, her mom basically cut off wrestling, didnt allow any wrestler's at the funeral, but its been ten years though

While the thought occurs to me if anyone has a Kindle and an Online Observer subscription the Send to Kindle app is utterly amazing with one click it sends the Observer properly formatted to your your Kindle.

Works well with the Torch newsletter or any other website I can think of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

For those that subscribe online, does this or any other formatting trick make it easy to print the Observer if you subscribe online? I like getting a hard copy in the mail because its easy to save, but if there were a simple and budget-friendly way to to do the same with an online sub I'd certainly do that.

"I have spoken at length to Vince [McMahon]. He is very smart. Not like in awe of smart like some guy like Jordan Breen, but very smart nonetheless." - Meltzer.

This is so funny. If you've ever met a grad student who can't quite finish his thesis, despite being in school for a decade, you've met Jordan Breen.

I know plenty of guys that fit that description and in no case them not finishing their grad degree has anything to do with lock of intelligence or smartness or whatever. Usually its just a case of doing a job in parallel that at one point becomes the main priority (sometimes in combination with starting a family).

Of course the system is different over here in Europe, so I may be comparing apples and oranges.

I know plenty of guys that fit that description and in no case them not finishing their grad degree has anything to do with lock of intelligence or smartness or whatever. Usually its just a case of doing a job in parallel that at one point becomes the main priority (sometimes in combination with starting a family).

Of course the system is different over here in Europe, so I may be comparing apples and oranges.

You've certainly done a great job defending someone you don't know in a system you don't understand!

While the thought occurs to me if anyone has a Kindle and an Online Observer subscription the Send to Kindle app is utterly amazing with one click it sends the Observer properly formatted to your your Kindle.

Works well with the Torch newsletter or any other website I can think of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

Hey, thanks, rovert!

I'm a Kindle Fire user and this is great. I'm surprised I didn't know about this sooner!

You've certainly done a great job defending someone you don't know in a system you don't understand!

You've certainly done a great job being a giant jackass.