Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

So reading the historical WON that was just posted really illustrated how much of a clusterfuck was going on backstage in 1997 WWF. I never knew Shamrock took HBK's place in the Canadian Stampede 10 man tag (although it makes perfect sense), and it fills in the gaps on what led Vince to decide to do what he did at Survivor Series. To paraphrase Chris Rock's take on OJ, I ain't saying Vince should have screwed him.....but I understand.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Eduardo James

I'm not Canadian, but it involves Dave and I figured it might more attention here rather than a topic stuffed away in a sub-forum.

Meltzer says it's been a huge success in Canada. Sorry guys.

Meltzer says it's been a huge success in Canada. Sorry guys.

Did he explain how? It's not available to hardly anyone, free for those who do get it, hasn't passed CRTC approval yet and did I mention most of the country doesn't get it?

Just that it's (in Alvarez's words) exceeded expectations.

Anyone can shed some light on whether Dave is right or blowing smoke?

It would appear WWE set the bar ridiculously low, so the trifle matter of most of the country not being able to get it doesn't matter.

Reading between the lines of WWE's announcement made it seem like Rogers gave them stupid amounts of money so the threshold for success being low makes sense.

From the BOARD:

"People take rumors too seriously.
I know.
but what a coincidence that with the exception of Punk's match with HHH and Bryan added to the title match because of the fans, that we had the top matches at Mania in December.
Lots of lucky guesses and bad rumors going around.
Lesnar vs. Reigns was decided either shortly before or shortly after Mania. The Lesnar-Cena match was the booked Lesnar-Bryan match from the start, the booked story of crushing the fans hearts with a reality check, and then Reigns saves the day.
It can all change, and sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Last year's main was first supposed to be Rock vs. Lesnar, but Rock opted out, and then Austin vs. HHH, but Austin wasn't willing."

Dave went **** on Reigns-Orton. It seems crazy, but I think it explains the disconnect between him and a lot of us regarding NJPW. Reigns-Orton didn't have much of a body of the match, but it peaked with some really cool finisher reversals and kick-outs, and the crowd was hot for the last few minutes. Every somewhat big NJPW match ends with finisher reversals and kick-outs and the crowd responding well. This is how you get him saying the Osaka and Korakuen G-1 shows were 2 of the best 5 wrestling shows of all-time.

Orton-Reigns was really flat with the crowd at Casa del Hoback... and it wasn't a trio of James, grumpy Yohe and grumpy jdw. I was the only grumpy person there, and the other 6 were all watchers of current WWE and generally like the stuff, or at least some of it. Everyone in the room hated Orton, and not in the Good Heel Hate, but in that same old Get Off My Fucking TV Hate. Reigns was surprisingly not as over in the room as you would think for someone who is suppose to main event Mania.

The Lumberjack match had vastly more attention and interest in the room.

So... yeah, there are some disconnects. I get mine: I'm not at all a fan of modern WWE product. But even a room of generally WWE Fans didn't see that show like Dave.

It wasn't just a Dave thing . I personally thought Orton/Reigns was the worst match on the show. The Observer readers thought Orton/Reigns was the 3rd best match on the show. Is it sheep following the Shepard? I don't know, none the less I don't get it. Maybe Dave has a big Samoan following. Different strokes for different folks.

I enjoyed the fuck out of the match and I haven't read the WON in years.

Johnny obviously the comment wasn't aimed at you. You weren't one of the people who gave feedback to the Observer. Of the 350+ that gave feedback it was the match that got the. 3rd most best match of the night votes. It was also got the 5th most votes for worst match of the night.

I enjoyed the fuck out of the match and I haven't read the WON in years.

Johnny obviously the comment wasn't aimed at you. You weren't one of the people who gave feedback to the Observer. Of the 350+ that gave feedback it was the match that got the. 3rd most best match of the night votes.
Oh I know. I'm just saying that perhaps it isn't blind lemming following since guys like me dug the match too.

How did twenty something people vote the Rusev match the worst?

Did Meltzer hate it? If so, there's your answer.

I thought it was a surprisingly fun match - one of the better matches on the card, truth be told.

Meltzer gave it 3 1/4*. I thought it was a real strong match. I'm beginning to feel the people who give feedback to the Observer which I do put more stock into Highspots and the wow factor than actual working a match with a compelling story.

Dave undoubtedly has a soft spot for Orton. He consistently refers to him as a great worker in the podcasts.

Dear god...

WWE office thinks he is. A lot and I mean a lot of old timers cite him as someone who is a great worker.

The same old timers tend to be friends of or least admirers of Randy's father Bob Orton.

Back to Meltzer if want to play the crony/bias game he is very close friends with Larry Matysik who again is very close to Bob Orton. Larry controversially to say the least listed Randy Orton as #50 in his 50 Greatest Professional Wrestlers of All Time book - excluding Rey Mysterio. Larry's defences of that were never really convincing. Larry has a lot of value and perspective but he is a huge homer for St. Louis. Someone who comes from the St. Louis Wrestling scene and that I trust as a SOURCE says Bob (and possibly Randy) is a Meltzer source. I've known this person since 2007 and has never lied or been wrong.

I don't think even the most anti-Dave guy on this message board would accuse Meltzer of cronyism when it comes to Orton. I'm sure he's had a lot of sources whose matches he's ripped to shreds, while also praising matches of guys who have been a dick to him. Dave's tastes have always been a bit goofy, so when I hear him praising Orton so much, I just chalk that up as another weird Dave opinion that I don't get. Hey, clearly somebody at WWE agrees, because he's almost always in the top mix, even if a lot of other folks think he's well beyond stale. Certainly, Dave hasn't been afraid to criticize Orton when he's acted like an ass.