Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think what it comes down to is that Dave bases his match opinions almost entirely on hot crowds unless they involve either guys he doesn't care for or there are major execution problems where he doesn't think they deserved that reaction. For the most part, I think he's consistent on that and as much as we bag him around here, I probably agree with him on matches just as often as I disagree with him. I'm not the type to forever write off someone's match reviewing because they had one review (or even a few) where I didn't see what they saw at all. I've probably felt that way about something everyone on this board has written at some point, and I'm sure the same applies to me.

I don't think Dave has always seen wrestling this way as far as the importance of the crowd, and I think he'd probably give Hogan matches much higher ratings if they were happening now. He wouldn't go back and watch them now because he doesn't believe in that, but his outlook on these things I do think has changed over time.

I believe this sums it up well. I was thinking of going to the Hogan Well, but you already drew from it perfectly.

It's unlikely to happen on a board because discussions tend to strike him as confrontational. But it would be interesting offline to have a conversation with him on whether he would agree that he was harder on Hogan in the 80s than he would be now. Try make the conversation as much as possible about *not* asking his to re-rate stuff, but more on the conceptual level that he's more attentive to crowd heat and response now than he was back then.

I kind of get why he thought differently in the 80s. Over in JCP/NWA was Our Hero Ric, who both got Great Crowd Heat and put on "Great Matches" in the way Dave liked. In contrast, Hogan got the heat but didn't work matches in a way Dave cared for. Ric was going to get rated higher, and Hulk was going to rate lower in contrast.

Holzerman habitually blogging about badly paraphrased versions of what Meltzer wrote or said is one of my favourite things:

http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.ie/2014/07/fergal-devitt-signs-with-wwe-and-note.html

He seems to never go about improving how he cites things. Meltzer on Twitter described it as completely clueless inclined to agree.

Holzerman habitually blogging about badly paraphrased versions of what Meltzer wrote or said is one of my favourite things:

http://wallsofjerichoholic.blogspot.ie/2014/07/fergal-devitt-signs-with-wwe-and-note.html

He seems to never go about improving how he cites things. Meltzer on Twitter described it as completely clueless inclined to agree.

I don't even understand what the hell he is saying.

Without meaning to sound like I'm putting down Dave, I think a big part of his shift towards emphasizing crowd heat is as a shortcut from his work load increasing to where he doesn't have much time to analyze matches in detail. Hence, he knows he can review matches by just running down the play-by-play and people will still listen to his opinion because of who he his rather than what he's saying.

It’s becoming a regular occurrence that I am more excited about the weekly back issue than I am the current issue. Dave’s complete lack of understanding the UStream situation (and to be fair to Dave, 90% of the stuff I have read online about it from other fans who should be well versed in these things is wrong as well) along with his insistence that other streaming services don’t see people cancel before their subscription is up was weird and poor reporting. If you cancel your WWE Network subscription prior to the six months, you don’t get any money back. So anyone doing that is not very bright. Does it hurt the WWE because they are losing a re-up? Of course, but they are still getting every penny of the first six month commitment. Netflix and Hulu don’t have commitment periods and if you cancel during a month, unless you pitch a fit, there is no refund and you keep your service until the month is over. The cancellation only makes sure you aren’t charged for the next month. This seems to really be something that Dave hasn’t grasped at all. It also makes me wonder about streaming issues that he (or people who write him) talk about. There are times when there is a streaming problem and it is system wide. But in my limited experience with streaming different models of content, 95% of the time, if there is an issue, it is usually my piss poor internet connection.

If you cancel your WWE Network subscription prior to the six months, you don’t get any money back. So anyone doing that is not very bright. Does it hurt the WWE because they are losing a re-up? Of course, but they are still getting every penny of the first six month commitment.

That's not the case AFAIK. It's a monthly payment, so if you cancel early, you stop paying. (In fact "stop paying" is the way most people are 'cancelling.')

You cancel four months in and you've only paid $40 and WWE doesn't get the remaining $20.

Tim people are using Paypal, visa gift cards with limited funds on it etc as work arounds so they aren't paying for all 6 months. The sharing of passwords has been been a big issue since Bix reported it. I'm also curious since this has been a mess. The ones who quit paying, I'm curious how quick is the service turning off the network on them?

Tim people are using Paypal, visa gift cards with limited funds on it etc as work arounds so they aren't paying for all 6 months. The sharing of passwords has been been a big issue since Bix reported it. I'm also curious since this has been a mess. The ones who quit paying, I'm curious how quick is the service turning off the network on them?

I know of several people who've had a payment declined for some reason (insufficient funds; card connected to PayPal account has expired and they didn't add the new one to their account in time) and the moment the payment was declined, WWE cancelled their account,

Guest Eduardo James

Paying up front should really have some incentive, even something small like a 10% discount. I would pay up front if I would save any money by doing it.

Isn't that what they're going to do? $20 monthly or $60 for 6 months?

Guest Eduardo James

Found it:

Consumer Marketing: To enhance awareness, additional marketing investment is planned around the popular SummerSlam pay-per-view event in August. The Company will also introduce new payment plans in August, including a $19.99 monthly plan (with no commitment) and an upfront one-time payment option for its existing $9.99 per month offering (with six month commitment).

http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2014/2014_07_31_Q2_Earnings.pdf