Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a trolling tweet to be sure, and while I'm admittedly unfamiliar with PWG's product, are we really pretending an AJ Styles carry job was one of the best matches of the decade or something? It was good, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't even my favorite match on this show.

I can't see Dave's tweet because he blocked me a long time ago. but if he is talking about how great Styles vs Balor was, it is funny how on the radio he used the same old logic of not being able to really appreciate the match "because I saw so much good wrestling this weekend' as why he didn't think it was great. if Dave's gimmick on twitter (and he admits that it is one) that he is trolling people for reaction, he really shouldn't be surprised or upset at equally awful trolling.

Also love the idea that the worst match on PWG that weekend would have been the top 2 matches in the TLC PPV. yet most people are talking about with PWG is Ron Jeremy falling asleep next to him on Friday

I can't see Dave's tweet because he blocked me a long time ago. but if he is talking about how great Styles vs Balor was, it is funny how on the radio he used the same old logic of not being able to really appreciate the match "because I saw so much good wrestling this weekend' as why he didn't think it was great. if Dave's gimmick on twitter (and he admits that it is one) that he is trolling people for reaction, he really shouldn't be surprised or upset at equally awful trolling.

Also love the idea that the worst match on PWG that weekend would have been the top 2 matches in the TLC PPV. yet most people are talking about with PWG is Ron Jeremy falling asleep next to him on Friday

Close! He said that Styles vs Balor would have been the ninth best match during this past PWG weekend

It's becoming increasingly difficult to see the utility of Meltzer in 2017 except for his historical knowledge. He doesn't seem to break much news, acts like a massive douche online and stans one particular brand of wrestling in the most obnoxious way.

He is really going all in on this PWG thing. I don't know what he even gets from this. He's smart enough to know that the star rating for Balor/Styles is so inconsequential as compared to whether Roman Reigns can connect with a casual audience emotionally in terms of what's actually important in 2017 wrestling.

As far as what he gets from it, being a important person in the Bullet Club might be it. I mean you know he marks out at knowing every Young Bucks match will have a move named after him.

I would be interested in know how his subscription number are in the last year since he decided doing his internet gimmick. I like that the twitter is now using 'This isn't meant to outrage people, and smart people won't be outraged' :P

It just seems so strange that a journalist and historian with decades of experience would ruin his credibility working the gimmick of pretending that the Young Bucks are good

Bucks sell out at places like Hot Topic though and have a worldwide fan following - is Meltzer really going against the grain by championing them?

I'm no fan of Dave's interactions on Twitter, which reflect well on no one. But I don't get why people on here are suggesting his love for PWG is some gimmick. It's a style of wrestling he's always loved, and he goes to the shows, which probably are legitimately fun live experiences. He's a terrible match critic, sure, but that's hardly new.

I'm no fan of Dave's interactions on Twitter, which reflect well on no one. But I don't get why people on here are suggesting his love for PWG is some gimmick. It's a style of wrestling he's always loved, and he goes to the shows, which probably are legitimately fun live experiences. He's a terrible match critic, sure, but that's hardly new.

The gimmick is the blinkered superfandom that acts like anyone who has a different opinion only does so cause they're stupid and ignorant

Has he ever publicly admitted he was wrong about something? I don't mean in a "they changed plans" deal, just flat out admitting he is wrong.

Few months ago on Twitter he was shitting on Lex Luger for some reason. He was using the old trope of Lex was always bad and he was carried in his good matches. Now if you go back and read old Observers he would put over Lex as constantly improving. At one point saying something to the effect of and I'm paraphrasing here "He has been in too many good matches to keep calling them carry jobs."

I pointed that out to him and he did not reply. His work on Twitter has drastically changed my opinion of him.

Has he ever publicly admitted he was wrong about something? I don't mean in a "they changed plans" deal, just flat out admitting he is wrong.

I love Dave, I hate ragging on Dave, but this is a flaw from him. Again I see so many similarities with him and Vince. I remember when Dave was talking about why Bryan Alvarez was going to be the next great wrestling journalist. It was because Bryan would call him after watching a show, and he would have all the same opinions as Dave, without Dave even telling him. It wasn't that Bryan challenged him or made him think about things in a new way, just that Bryan agreed with him on everything.

I pointed that out to him and he did not reply. His work on Twitter has drastically changed my opinion of him.

Dave is terrible on Twitter, but...

1. Are you sure he even saw your post? He is pretty boneheaded when it comes to technology. Case-in-point: He doesn't even have the good sense to get the official blue checkmark next to his name. Even the fake Heenan's wife account went for that.

2. Writing has never been his strong suit. That flaw is only going to be amplified on a platform as limited as Twitter.

The other item of note with Dave stumping for and being a PWG fanboy is that he has always been consistent about being the most passionate about live wrestling he has enjoyed.

This goes back to even 84-85 when he was living in Texas and going to World Class shows, and continued into the 90s when he would make regular trips to Japan.

It's only amplified now because this is the first time in many years he has consistently attended live shows from a company that is putting out a high-end in-ring product.

I think Dave's love of PWG is sincere, but I also think everything he says on Twitter is a gimmick (he basically admitted this in Bix's Deadspin piece on him from earlier this year regarding the Omega/Okada matches). I don't know exactly how it results in increased readership, and personally speaking, Dave on Twitter led to me unfollowing him and dropping my Observer subscription, but if it's working for him, good for him. And good for him for enjoying New Japan and PWG as much as he does, especially since earlier in this decade, it really felt like he barely enjoyed pro wrestling anymore in any form. It's not my favorite wrestling in the world, but it works for him and it works for their crowds that are paying ridiculously high per average ticket prices to see them every few months, so they're doing something right.

Dave has said multiple times that social media and twitter followers to him don't mean anything so why would he care what he writes on twitter and worry about it when he doesn't feel it has any significant affect on his business? I agree with the points of his writing at times being weak in some areas and I don't ever recall him admitting flat out being wrong but I still believe Dave's content and viewpoint is still interesting and enjoyable to hear even when I don't completely agree with everything he says.

As for PWG I also think Dave is sincere in his love of the product and being able to attend and interact with the guys there probably adds to his bias but I don't see any harm with it as how can anyone who knows what everyone here posting knows about Dave be surprised? There is no unbiased journalist in any field an Dave is no different.

Also the points made of Dave should be more worried about people pirating his stuff and not about appearing on Being The Elite is silly. Dave is never going to be able to stop people from uploading his stuff online and appearing in stuff with The Bucks and such gives him some name to face appeal for potential new subscribers and separates him from the slew of names on the screen you see in the online wrestling news world.

I understand that people are entitled to their opinion and are free to critique but lots of stuff I've read through in these posts come off as bitching for the sake of it. I see people dumping on Dave's match reviewing ability and tweets but offer no alternative examples of ways you see someone else doing it better or more to your liking.

It does drive subscriptions, or at least I have no reason to believe it doesn't. But I find it interesting that he goes there, considering the recent podcast he did about how Memphis was smart to never do an angle where Lance Russell was attacked, even though it would have drawn a huge house, because then they'd be tempted to do it again and again. Once that line was crossed, they'd never be able to go back, then they'd hurt the credibility of their lead salesperson. Makes for an interesting parallel.