Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Dynamite's book, I remember him excusing away his lack of revenge as not being around because of injuries. Supposedly, Dynamite was planning something during a match that got cancelled or never happened for some reason. Survivor Series maybe?

You're conflating 2 different stories, the revenge Dynamite was planning in a match that never happened was talking about Brutus Beefcake who disrespected Dynamite's trainer Ted Betley in the locker room when he was over visiting Tom in the WWF and was getting autographs from all the boys with Andre even signing politely for him. Dynamite found out and was gonna get his revenge in a tag cage match he said he was booked for against Beefcake but he suffered his back injury in Ontario a short time prior and never got to the match.

As for the Rougeau story the deal was that Vince basically told Dynamite if he did anything to retaliate for the sucker punch then he would withhold his PPV and Merch royalties that Dynamite had coming and also told Tom that The Rougeaus gave their Mobster friends Tom's home address if anything were to happen to them. So Dynamite basically swallowed it but brooded and even worked with them in the Survivor Series doing a few spots in The Bulldogs last WWF match.

In Dynamite's book, I remember him excusing away his lack of revenge as not being around because of injuries. Supposedly, Dynamite was planning something during a match that got cancelled or never happened for some reason. Survivor Series maybe?

Close, but you're confusing two of his (many) backstage feuds. He was trained in England by a guy named Ted Bentley. After Dynamite made it big, he brought his trainer backstage and introduced him around to all the boys. Apparently, everybody in the locker room was very nice and accommodating (DK makes specific mention of Andre being nice, IIRC) with the exception of one Brutus Beefcake, who was rude, refused to give an autograph and blew Mr. Bentley off. Dynamite knew that he and Davey Boy had a cage match against The Dream Team coming up, and he was apparently planning on exacting terrible revenge in the cage, but before that could happen he suffered the back injury that pretty much ruined his career, in a match against Orton and Muraco.

With Jacques, DK claimed that Vince asked him not to retaliate out of fear of the Rougeau's "making a phone call." Billington claims he agreed under the condition that the Rougeau's paid for the dental work he needed to fix his teeth. Raymond agreed, so the beef was supposedly squashed at that point, and after that the two teams were kept far, far away from each other. In his book, he makes it sound like the Bulldogs left the WWF not that long afterward, but I'm not sure how true that is. I know the Iron Sheik (I know, I know) claimed in one of his many shoots that after Jacques knocked out Dynamite's teeth, he lost a lot of the shine on his reputation as a tough guy in the locker room, which bothered him tremendously. I remember a lot of other wrestlers saying he was never the same again after that, because he had been such a bully, but Jacques knocked his teeth out and he never retaliated, so it really bothered him and drove him nuts.

If I am not mistaken, in his 2004 RF Video shoot, Jacques pretty much admits it.

Yep.

Really, the whole Montreal crew story is fascinating and remains a story to be told (not sure the Pat Laprade book talks about this part of the story, I haven't read it).

An 8 Part mini-series called "Bad Blood" about the Montreal Mafia recently aired here, starring Anthony LaPaglia and Paul Sorvino. It was interesting and I really liked it. It didn't touch any of the wrestling stuff, but it did get into just how much the mafia had their fingers in a ton of pies in Quebec. I should check out that book, assuming it's in English. My French is so bad it would take me about a year to read it, otherwise.

If I am not mistaken, in his 2004 RF Video shoot, Jacques pretty much admits it.

Yep.

Really, the whole Montreal crew story is fascinating and remains a story to be told (not sure the Pat Laprade book talks about this part of the story, I haven't read it).

No, I have both versions of the book - French and English - and what El-P brought up hasn't been mentioned. The story of Jacques knocking out Dynamite Kid is documented in detail but there's no insinuations about mafia ties and such. Perhaps Pat chose to leave that part of the story out of the book or he simply wasn't told about it.

I was browsing some of Scott Keith's Blog of Doom where he reviews old issues of The Observer and came across this tidbit regarding The Bulldogs/Rougeau issue,

"

• The Bulldogs and Rougeaus got into a big backstage fight over an incident where Jacques shaved the head of a friend of the Bulldogs, which Dave finds ironic since the Bulldogs did that kind of shit all the time (most notably to Joey Marella and Outback Jack). However, their friend was a ring attendant with Down’s Syndrome, so that’s pretty uncool of the Rougeaus. This led to Dynamite Kid cleaning Raymond’s clock, and of course things would escalate between them VERY quickly."

I'd never heard this so does anyone else have any info? it's from the 10.12.88 issue.

From vague memory, I think the Rougeaus asked Curt Hennig to watch there stuff when they were in a match.

But Curt cut up some of there clothes and then blamed the bulldogs when the Rougeaus got back to the dressing room.

At this time the Bulldogs were pulling a lot of "pranks"

The Rougeaus bad mouthed the bulldogs and this got back to Dynamite, Maybe though Curt.

But it also may have been Bret Hart who told Dynamite about it.

This set off Dynamite, who went into the locker room and just started to beat the shit out of Jacques.

​When his brother told Dynamite he's had enough, Dynamite knocked him out as well.

​The down's syndrome sounds like bullshit and a story put out to justify Dynamites behaviour.

With all the previous talk, I rewatch that interview (which is great BTW) in a whole new different light. With his kinda husky voice and self-confidence, Ray sounds like a regular goodfella here. ;)

"You think I'm funny Dyno ? How am I funny ? Is it the way I talk, is it my French accent ? Is that funny ? What is so funny about me ?"

I was browsing some of Scott Keith's Blog of Doom where he reviews old issues of The Observer and came across this tidbit regarding The Bulldogs/Rougeau issue,

"

• The Bulldogs and Rougeaus got into a big backstage fight over an incident where Jacques shaved the head of a friend of the Bulldogs, which Dave finds ironic since the Bulldogs did that kind of shit all the time (most notably to Joey Marella and Outback Jack). However, their friend was a ring attendant with Down’s Syndrome, so that’s pretty uncool of the Rougeaus. This led to Dynamite Kid cleaning Raymond’s clock, and of course things would escalate between them VERY quickly."

I'd never heard this so does anyone else have any info? it's from the 10.12.88 issue.

I have no proof of this of course, so it's pure speculation on my part, but I'd tend to call bullshit on that story.

From everything I have ever read or heard, Raymond was the Rougeau Brother that you did not want to fuck with. I am 99.9% sure I remember hearing that Raymond actually had some amateur boxing experience as well. Even if Dynamite Kid and Raymond got into a fight, I don't think DK would have "cleaned Raymond's clock." I think Jacques was the one with the big mouth who was more liable to get negative attention from the other wrestlers. Not to mention as Phil pointed out, the Bulldogs were the ones who were universally known for shaving people's heads and eyebrows and stealing and destroying their property and clothes.

Sounds fishy to me. Considering all the time that has passed, you would have figured that story would have come out by now if it was true, like most locker room fight stories tend to. (Dick the Bruiser vs. Brody, Spivey vs. Adonis, etc.) Not to mention, I am sure DK would have gladly crowed about it in his book, since he had no issues burying the Rougeaus or talking about what a big badass he was. If it had happened, that is where he would have talked about it.

To be fair, I do think there's a difference between the hierarchy-related win-loss decisions that are more common in Japanese booking and upper midcarders getting jobbed out to John Cena. I'd love multi-year chases in American booking, but I don't think the writers have the focus and I don't think the fans have the attention span or patience. But in general, American booking could do much better at getting over long-term programs and Japanese booking could do much better at striking while the iron is hot. (I realize that's not what you're even talking about. This just seemed like a good place to drop that thought.)

Although if WWE does put Reigns over Lesnar for the title at Mania thats the culmination of three or arguably even four years of long-term storyline build

Yeah I think assuming that the Triple H and Taker matches were done to put over the Lesnar match this year is a bit of a stretch.

Dave agrees that Naito should have won but if the idea is to create Okada like a legendary New Japan wrestler in the grounds of Muta or Inoki, then I guess winning makes sense. In the current WWE world a legend is considered by the number of times he held the belt not the reign. Okada winning the IWGP title 10 times probably would look bad in their eyes.