Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

Dave's still really vague on why Velveteen Dream has disappeared off the face of the earth since the Aleister Black match. Apparently he "hasn't been seen" and "hasn't been at the Performance Center" since then.

He's said he tried to find out and all anyone will tell him is that it wasn't injury related.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if Patrick Clark got tired of the awkward, limited Velveteen Dream gimmick. He was good in it, but it never, ever felt natural or the best way to use him. It would also die an instant death on the main roster. Not everyone can truly embrace something like that the way Dustin Runnels did with Goldust. Plus, "homosexuality" is still more frowned upon in the black community - from what I understand - so that could have something to do it with too.

More troubling is that Clark had a pro-Trump heel gimmick that was apparently very effective but got yanked from him when - surprise surprise - Trump actually became President and Linda McMahon joined his cabinet.

All pure speculation on my part, but it's as good a guess as any.

You'd probably have a different perspective on finances if you've been around the wrestling business as long as Dave has. He's seen more guys than he can list end up broke who he thought were set for life.

I'm well aware of that. But the idea of totally broken down Taker coming back at Mania *again* because he would *need* the 1M$ payoff is kinda ridiculous. Either that or he really sucks at investments... Like I said before, Ray Rougeau = smartest wrestler ever : retired at 35 and set for life.

He's made a lot of real estate investments, and those tend to go real well or real bad with little in between. Him always coming back despite having a body of someone 20+ years older seems to suggest which way his went.

Plus I'm sure Taker *needing* a Mania payoff is different than me *needing* to pick up some extra OT to help pay for Christmas. Economies of scale an all that.

You'd probably have a different perspective on finances if you've been around the wrestling business as long as Dave has. He's seen more guys than he can list end up broke who he thought were set for life.

I'm well aware of that. But the idea of totally broken down Taker coming back at Mania *again* because he would *need* the 1M$ payoff is kinda ridiculous. Either that or he really sucks at investments... Like I said before, Ray Rougeau = smartest wrestler ever : retired at 35 and set for life.

Let's say he has another 25 years to live and we'll say he has 5 million in the bank. That's $200,000 a year to live on. Now depending on where you live that isn't a ton of money. Now let's say he's planning to budget for 30 years that's $166,666.66. Again, that's not terrible but you're looking at some tight times the older you get especially with retirement villages and this is if you don't have kids you want to leave money to or put through college.

That's just some fake made up numbers but I can see how someone would want a little buffer, especially if they can work 20 minutes and turn that 5 million into 6 million.

Like I said before, Ray Rougeau = smartest wrestler ever : retired at 35 and set for life.

He's a Rougeau. Mob ties really help financial security too. ;)

Not that I think the Rougeau family is tied into the Montreal Mafia. I would never ever say that.

(I live within driving distance and don't need a visit from Rock Machine MC.)

About Taker's finances "may be not the best" (and him coming back at Mania for a payday again) : "Unless you have 10 million $ in the bank, you're always gonna worry about your finances."

WTF ? Give me a single million and I'm so done.

Yeah, but your neck tattoo, black eyeliner, and Harley Davidson budgets are so much smaller than Taker's.

Like I said before, Ray Rougeau = smartest wrestler ever : retired at 35 and set for life.

Not that I think the Rougeau family is tied into the Montreal Mafia. I would never ever say that.

Well, Dino Bravo had ties to the Cotroni family (what got him murdered in 1993) so that's what might have confused you.

Don't mean to pile on but a few weeks ago Dave says there are no plans for a Women's rumble match so of course they announce one tonight. 2017 has been a terrible year for him reporting wise

I believe what he said was along the lines of there were no plans set but that could easily change. So not exactly the same sentiment and it's easier to interpret what Dave means when you hear him speak(as challenging it can be at times when he stammers or shuffles his notes) an when you read it.

Dave ALWAYS says plans can change on anything he reports :lol:

I'm not sure how this became a major knock on Dave when history has shown plans do change all the time.

It's funny to me because Dave can basically never be wrong.

He reports something that eventually happens = he's right.

He reports something that doesn't end up happening = planes changed

By always saying "I heard this but I don't know/anything can happen/plans change" he leaves room for any bad info he can get to be chalked up to last minute changes, it's genius and hilarious :lol:

I think the relationship with Dave and his readers works better when we generally accept that he's aiming to tell us the truth as he understands it. I don't know that sitting back waiting for him to be wrong, like a game of gotcha, really goes anywhere worthwhile for a guy who has been doing a newsletter on pro wrestling every single week, without missing an issue since the 1980s. Wrap your heads around how insane that is and realize that the idiosyncrasies he has at this point could really be so much worse. :)

About Taker's finances "may be not the best" (and him coming back at Mania for a payday again) : "Unless you have 10 million $ in the bank, you're always gonna worry about your finances."

WTF ? Give me a single million and I'm so done.

Yeah, but your neck tattoo, black eyeliner, and Harley Davidson budgets are so much smaller than Taker's.

Not to mention budget to remove/change your neck tatoo when you dump our wife for younger woman.

But yeah. "We have very different lives", as they say...

As the manager of Rougeau's Pizza and Poutine in Montreal, I can assure you that customers flock to this irresistible combination of culinary cuisine and we are in no way a front for illegal mob activity!

I think the relationship with Dave and his readers works better when we generally accept that he's aiming to tell us the truth as he understands it. I don't know that sitting back waiting for him to be wrong, like a game of gotcha, really goes anywhere worthwhile for a guy who has been doing a newsletter on pro wrestling every single week, without missing an issue since the 1980s. Wrap your heads around how insane that is and realize that the idiosyncrasies he has at this point could really be so much worse. :)

That's what I've always found so sad about the likes of Rovert and that 'Les Moore' character. Seemingly watching every little thing Meltzer does, waiting for him to be wrong about something or to tweet something incorrectly. It's like they're chomping at the bit for that to happen so that they can correct him and call him out over it. I know Rovert spends his life on Twitter, but I have to wonder what these people are like in real life that they get so much joy and satisfaction constantly ragging on Dave. Can they not put their time to something more positive?

Note in the most recent Observer about oddsmakers placing an over/under on the Tokyo Dome main event being five stars. For anyone with any kind of involvement in journalism, having gambling on their opinions seems like a bad, bad thing.

This is one of the most unbelievable and mind-numbingly stupid thing I've read. One of the weird quirks of Meltzer being the only figure of his ilk and stature in wrestling.

Don't mean to pile on but a few weeks ago Dave says there are no plans for a Women's rumble match so of course they announce one tonight. 2017 has been a terrible year for him reporting wise

I believe what he said was along the lines of there were no plans set but that could easily change. So not exactly the same sentiment and it's easier to interpret what Dave means when you hear him speak(as challenging it can be at times when he stammers or shuffles his notes) an when you read it.

Dave ALWAYS says plans can change on anything he reports :lol:

I'm not sure how this became a major knock on Dave when history has shown plans do change all the time.

It's funny to me because Dave can basically never be wrong.

He reports something that eventually happens = he's right.

He reports something that doesn't end up happening = planes changed

By always saying "I heard this but I don't know/anything can happen/plans change" he leaves room for any bad info he can get to be chalked up to last minute changes, it's genius and hilarious :lol:

Or we could just have fun with it?

It's not a game of gotcha, at least not from my part.

Well, Dino Bravo had ties to the Cotroni family (what got him murdered in 1993) so that's what might have confused you.

I know about the stories of Dino Bravo getting whacked for smuggling cigarettes and not paying his tribute. (I love mafia lingo.) I also know about International Wrestling and Gino Brito being supposedly controlled by the Cotroni family.

I was referring to Jacques and Raymond's uncle Jean (aka. Johnny) Rougeau being in bed with the Cotroni family when he used to promote All Star Wrestling. The rumors of Rougeau family mafia ties were so strong that after Jacques knocked out all of Dynamite Kid's teeth, Vince McMahon reportedly discouraged Billington from taking their real life dispute any further, out of fear about what he had heard about the Rougeau "family ties." (Pat Patterson was still Vince's right hand man back then, and he knew damn well about the rumors in Montreal.) Billington talks about that in his book, and several other wrestlers have alluded to it or come right out and said it in shoot interviews over the years. If I am not mistaken, in his 2004 RF Video shoot, Jacques pretty much admits it.

All I'm saying is that if a member of the Rougeau family made money in business, especially construction or real estate, I'd wonder where the money came from.

But I wouldn't wonder that out loud in the wrong company.

I've often wondered why a known sadistic asshole like Billington never retaliated from getting his teeth KTFO, that would certainly explain it.

I have to admit, the idea of the "All-American Boys" Rougeaus being secretly mobbed up makes that gimmick about 1000x more entertaining.