Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

The Rock N Roll Express were ugly, creepy looking dudes even in their prime. I'm not at all surprised that their act didn't work in the 90's on a national level. They looked totally out of place when the WWF brought them in in 97/98.

It was a good act for southern territories in the 80's, Smokey Mountain, and what was left of the independent circuit. They probably would have worked in late 80's WWF with Vince's marketing machine that could get almost anybody over, but The Rockers were a much better fit for that spot. Younger, better looking, better bodies, IMO just as good of workers.

I actually think they would have worked as heels in mid-90's ECW, kind of surprised Heyman didn't bring them in for a run

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to the last two posts, I got two words for ya: gimmick change.

Why is it assumed that Morton has to stay with Gibson or in the R n R gimmick? Repackage him. A good worker is a worker. Just need a bit of vision and creativity to harness that.

Some people say wrestling is a sport, others say being a wrestler is closer to being an actor. But how many top athletes do you know that still have ability and talent that are let go? How many actors with a good record and a string of great performances struggle to get work?

But the wrestling industry doesn't work like that. If Morton was a sportsman or an actor his career wouldn't have gone the same way. People that insanely talented would always have a job.

I don't see what the RnR act being dated in the mid-90s has anything to do with it, just give him a different role. Fuck, they gave Papa Shango 4 or 5 different gimmicks and he wasn't even a 100th of the talent Morton was and was never a proven draw like Morton was. There's 5 different ideas to get Charles Wright over but only one for Morton? Why?

I actually think they would have worked as heels in mid-90's ECW, kind of surprised Heyman didn't bring them in for a run

That could've been amazing. Have them act like your douche-y uncle with a pony tail and a gold chain who still thinks he's "got it".

Also, I could never get behind the Richard Morton run. He needed new gear. Just didn't work with him still in his bandanas and stuff.

That could've been amazing. Have them act like your douche-y uncle with a pony tail and a gold chain who still thinks he's "got it".

Ricky Morton as "Uncle Rico" would have been fantastic.

Fuck yes. And a white trash middle aged girlfriend.

Also, I could never get behind the Richard Morton run. He needed new gear. Just didn't work with him still in his bandanas and stuff.

Well, he did get new, more flashing gears. But the York Foundation, as much as I loved them, had major fashion issues.

Jeff Blatnick died. He's actually from my neck of the woods in upstate NY/capital region. They named a park and little league stadium after him. From what I remember as a kid he hated pro wrestling with a passion and would start fuming if asked about it in interviews. It just so happens his rise to fame correlated with the boom period of the WWF so he was asked for his opinions on the business all the time. I can remember not really liking him as a kid because he bad mouthed wrestling

Jeff Blatnick died. He's actually from my neck of the woods in upstate NY/capital region. They named a park and little league stadium after him. From what I remember as a kid he hated pro wrestling with a passion and would start fuming if asked about it in interviews. It just so happens his rise to fame correlated with the boom period of the WWF so he was asked for his opinions on the business all the time. I can remember not really liking him as a kid because he bad mouthed wrestling

That's funny because Verne Gagne used to namedrop him all the time on AWA TV.

Edit: Wow, I had no idea that he was the wrestling coach at my old High School.

Oddly I wasn't really aware of that aspect of Blatnick. I just knew him as the early UFC announcer, and from there as former Olympic Gold medalist. He beat Hodgkin's disease to win a gold medal. Even though I stopped following UFC after about show 15, Blatnick's story stuck with me.

Random question: has it ever been definitively established who invented the scorpion deathlock? I've seen it attributed to Tatsumi Fujinami, Masa Saito, and Karl Gotch.

I thought it was originally attributed to Choshu (I believe referred to then as the Sasorigatame but the odds I'm recalling and spelling that correctly are slim). Can anyone trace it back before him?

The greatness of Ricky Morton is that he looked like he did and became a draw with young girls. That was because of his work in the ring. His selling made him so sympathetic that he became kind of an idol.

It translated well to the magazines too. I didn't get too much in the way of JCP TV, but I remember seeing Morton and Gibson busted open at the hands of the Sheepherders in one of the mags and thinking, "Yikes! Poor guys..."

Random question: has it ever been definitively established who invented the scorpion deathlock? I've seen it attributed to Tatsumi Fujinami, Masa Saito, and Karl Gotch.

I thought it was originally attributed to Choshu (I believe referred to then as the Sasorigatame but the odds I'm recalling and spelling that correctly are slim). Can anyone trace it back before him?

I thought Choshu got it from Saito.

Guys I suggest you watch this ASAP as it may get taken down quickly.

The Fit Finlays

Never seen this online before. Aired on Irish TV last year - a real documentary backed by real film bodies. It is pretty great.

Another note you can and SHOULD watch the video in 1080p.