Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the rest of the Smackdown catalog is the latest content dump. Glad to see they are moving quickly since it soothes the OCD types and hopefully gets them closer to getting back to adding actual classic content.

Also they are adding a HOF 2017 category with the Rock n Rolls in a new-to-the-Network match against the Midnights in a Mid South tag team title match.

Looks like the rest of the Smackdown catalog is the latest content dump. Glad to see they are moving quickly since it soothes the OCD types and hopefully gets them closer to getting back to adding actual classic content.

I'm personally waiting for the B-shows. Namely WCW Thunder, Saturday Night, Main Event, Worldwide and old WWF Velocity shows.

Mostly WCW Saturday Night though, especially pre-Nitro.

The latest Legends With JBL is a fun watch. It had the atmosphere of two guys catching up over a beer. I'm not sure it contains anything ground breaking, but Hansen is someone I could listen to for hours. He comes across as someone very content with his life and career, with no bitterness and few regrets. They mainly cover his early years in wrestling and the 80's. JBL seems to think Stan and Brody were the greatest tag team of all time, which is a rare opinion. There isn't much there about the 90's.

The 2011 Smackdowns are starting to upload now, nearly completing the SD library just in time for the network's third birthday on Friday.

Also WWE.com announced there will be a George Steele collection uploaded on Friday as well. Probably going to focus on the Savage stuff and the TNT skits where Captain Lou was teaching him how to talk, but they might slip a few 70s matches in there as well.

Really puts things into perspective how SmackDown is a current show, their biggest non-Raw show, and it's taken them three years to actually upload the archive of it. Their rollout of content remains ungodly slow, regardless of how legitimate their reasons for that may be.

What's even more weird to me is all the full matches and even shows of 70s and 80s stuff that they've had on their Youtube page since before the Network launched, so the footage is already digitized and cleaned up, yet it's likely to never get up on the Network. And all that stuff they had on 24/7 or the internet thing they tried about a decade ago that still isn't up on the Network 3 years after launch. They're never going to run out of vault footage. There is no reason at all to hoard the library other than they think no one cares, but there is no reason NOT to put it up as an added value and because they have to digitize and clean up everything they have anyway.

Not to mention UFC Fight Pass apparently has every show from all the groups they've purchased available, and WWE only has the full run of Nitro and a handful of other episodes from other groups.

It sucks, but it's a self fulfilling prophecy. They don't ever promote it so it doesn't draw a lot of views, so they don't promote it because it doesn't draw a lot of views. Clearly by their marketing they think people only care about PPVs and original shows. It's the same mindset that led them to ruin the Invasion angle since they could never put over the WCW guys even though they owned the property. Vince just can't seem to get behind promoting another company's product even when he owns it.

Really puts things into perspective how SmackDown is a current show, their biggest non-Raw show, and it's taken them three years to actually upload the archive of it. Their rollout of content remains ungodly slow, regardless of how legitimate their reasons for that may be.

It took them until late last year to finish Raw. I think it's less about Smackdown's status than their general attitude toward older content.

My god I love Bring It To The Table. One of my favorite gimmicks is the kayfabe talk show (like Tuesday Night Titans back in the day) and this is like that, with a modern troll-the-smarks attitude to it. It's like a too-perfect take on modern sports Hot Take Shows like First Take/PTI. I love this and I want them to do it more.

I, too, watched BITTT this week. Calling it a kayfabe talk show is more than a stretch, as they outright shit on Bayley's booking killing her character, and how much of a waste Shane/AJ is, among other many other things that weren't even close to being in kayfabe. JBL at one point talks about the Miz and how he was the guy to throw him out of the locker room only for storyline purposes. It's for sure 95%+ out of character and any semblance of kayfabe.

This is a show that had a segment dedicated to JBL throwing a shit fit about Mauro being voted Observer announcer of the year. It would be similar to calling E&C or Ride Along kayfabe shows. The whole conceit of BITTT is a non WWE guy brings internet topics up to a couple of WWE guys and they discuss it openly and honestly.