Pro Wrestling Only

Got to watch this on Hulu Plus today because my $9.99 a month goes there.

Liger was okay-ish but he's obviously not in his prime and I don't have an attachment to him that makes me overrate his stuff. The match felt like it had very little heat on it because Breeze doesn't work great heat segments on top. I think the biggest loss to the match was the hook up to the selfie stick on the big screen so you could actually see the pictures of Breeze and models and of Liger snagging the stick. I would call this inoffensive and completely optional to the show's experience.

English & Gotch versus Blake & Murphy suffered from Team BAMF not being great working heat segments. They do a good job though of working to their strengths of ring positioning and feeding their opponents. I wish they would interact with the crowd a bit more but they aren't a bad poor man's Heavenly Bodies. Alexis obviously carries the act and has great facial expressions as a second. Aiden & Gotch had a great showing with Gotch being able to do old school stuff and English having a great arm drag and senton bomb. Blue Pants was certainly over, but her actual physicality was off with her slap and tackle looking wrong for some reason.

Apollo was good and explosive but, like most people think, I don't think he got to string enough stuff together in order to build some momentum. The tumbles into calling for 'tens' was a good opening bit but the match should have moved more, cut out the under the armpit chinlock and prolonged the guerrilla press hold for a bit rather than just lifting him and dropping him immediately (maybe have a walk around).

I'll say it. Baron Corbin outperformed Joe. People took the Corbin under the minute matches to imply that he couldn't do anything other than a right hand and End of Days. I think he showed well here selling especially off the back brain kick and the Kokina clutch where he popped awake after the match. His added offense here looked good with the swinging rock bottom and the choke slam that led to the finish looking good. I liked the finish a lot with it coming off as a veteran taking advantage of a tiny opening. Joe looked sluggish to me and really, I'm starting to get the impression Joe's act works with small guys and bump freaks and no one else. When else has it worked?

Sasha vs Bailey was a great match with great emotion that made up for the one or two rough patches that happened most obviously the missed Baileycanrana which was supposed to be a block but Bailey just whiffed badly. But that is glossed over from the strength of the story lines running through the contest. I think that part was perfect as someone who actually watches the show. I think a cold watcher could pick up on these things but wouldn't get the full nuance despite the excellent prematch package. I thought the Four Horsewomen thing worked just fine as Sasha is defined as doing whatever it takes to succeed including mind games and heel work (which was fairly muted, honestly). They can compete and still be friends if you are treating wrestling like a sport which seems like a popular sentiment.

I feel like Owens and Balor is getting slept on a little. Loved it, thought it was nice and brutal without just being a Edge-Jeff Hardy stunt show. I appreciate using the edge of the ladder as a weapon as a ram rather than just setting up ways for people to fall off of it. The only time that happened at the end was part of the ending and worked due to Owen's character notes. He was on point as usual. Balor still has connection issues with me as I can barely relate to him.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Balor is supposed to be a guy you "relate" to...unless you also believe yourself to be a demon and paint yourself accordingly. Balor is supposed to be a form of the Hulk Hogan superhero. No one related to Hogan but everyone (I know but bear with me here) loved him because he was larger than life. Thats the role Balor has got now for NXT. He is the hipster's Hogan. Plus he is probably marketable to kids as well.

My issue with Balor has to do with how he emotes in ring. It has nothing to do with being able to relate to a demon. I'm not superman but I could still relate to Hogan because of the way he sold and drew sympathy from the crowd. Balor really doesn't emote at all in ring. Jeff Hardy painted himself up all weird too but like Hogan he also knew how to make the crowd feel emotion. When the bell rings with Balor it's like watching a robot.

Everything that I have seen from Uhaa Nation in the past, he always did the Standing Moonsault followed by a Standing Shooting Star Press. Like, that was the spot. Those two moves back-to-back.

I wonder why they didn't want him to do the Standing SSP on his debut?

Further reading on main event vs. co-main event stuff here: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/21294-hoganundertaker-question/?p=5570789

Jerry... are you saying you were right two years ago or are right now? I disagree with modern Jerry but agree with old Jerry.

I'm still legit confused by JVK's point. Not disagreeing -- legit not sure what the conclusion is.

The point is only this:

- Fans, whether rights or wrongly, see the last match as being the "true main event", regardless of whether or not another match is also labelled "co-main event".

- Therefore, in the knowledge of this, the NXT bookers copped out of giving Sasha and Bayley the "true" main event because they didn't go on last.

- If they had faith in Sasha vs. Bayley as THE main event, it should have gone on last.

- Steph's promo beforehand saying it was the true main event rang out as hollow as a result of the above.

- If NXT want to show they mean business about the women, they needed to put the match in the main event slot. Because as long as it is not on last, there will be fans who think "oh it's not the true main event then".

I found an article that puts all of this forward very well:

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/8/23/9193819/wwe-nxt-takeover-main-event-sasha-banks-vs-bayley

---------------------

That was my point all along. It has been lost because Will got caught up with thinking I was trolling for some God-forsaken reason.

Further reading on main event vs. co-main event stuff here: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/21294-hoganundertaker-question/?p=5570789

Jerry... are you saying you were right two years ago or are right now? I disagree with modern Jerry but agree with old Jerry.

I'm still legit confused by JVK's point. Not disagreeing -- legit not sure what the conclusion is.

Ha my bad -- I thought we were talking about your theory on Cena and his # of world title reigns. I'm fully on board with the main event talk and agree with you 100% :)

NXT delivered from where I was sittin. Just a great show. I'm not a fan of Bayley in kayfabe terms so I wanted Sasha to whoop her ass. But from a non-kayfabe pov I was happy for the lady. Damn fine wrestling.

Happy Breeze lost to Liger. Can't stand Breeze and think his gimmick dies in a dumpster fire on RAW.

Vaudvillains have rubbed off on me. Gotch is solid.

Corbin is in the wrong gimmick. Has upside though. Samoa Joe is a nice toll collector for NXT.

I think Apollo Crews will be a cash cow if guided right.

Balor has so much promotional appeal it's not even funny. Kevin Owens is a staple for years to come.

Finally got around to watching this show, and it was just as great as everyone said. But I noticed one thing that I don't think anyone else pointed out about this show: no swerves. No screwy finishes, no outside interference, no manufactured "controversy", and no heels going over. The babyfaces won every single time, clean in the middle of the ring. Number of people I've seen complaining "gee, they gave us TOO MUCH on this show and I don't want to watch NXT again": zero. Sometimes you don't need all that gimmicky shit to deny the fans the satisfaction they crave, in order to theoretically make them come back next time. Sometimes people just wanna see what they want to see, and this show's universally glowing reviews by everyone who's seen it prove that cheap fuck-finishes and shocking plot twists just aren't something you need on every damn show.

Finally got around to watching this show, and it was just as great as everyone said. But I noticed one thing that I don't think anyone else pointed out about this show: no swerves. No screwy finishes, no outside interference, no manufactured "controversy", and no heels going over. The babyfaces won every single time, clean in the middle of the ring. Number of people I've seen complaining "gee, they gave us TOO MUCH on this show and I don't want to watch NXT again": zero. Sometimes you don't need all that gimmicky shit to deny the fans the satisfaction they crave, in order to theoretically make them come back next time. Sometimes people just wanna see what they want to see, and this show's universally glowing reviews by everyone who's seen it prove that cheap fuck-finishes and shocking plot twists just aren't something you need on every damn show.

Really booking should be simple, just like story telling. Set up something people want to see, make them want it and then give it to them.

Really booking should be simple, just like story telling. Set up something people want to see, make them want it and then give it to them.

That's not to say there can't be surprises either. Blue Pants was a surprise, but she was one that was fair game. She was an established character, who has certain things in common with the Vaudevillians. She was really one of the only two options that were even possible (the other being Enzo/Cass/Carmella). Anything else would have been swervy since it wouldn't have been previously established. They went with the most logical choice and it still felt like a satisfying surprise.

Wrestling is about anticipation and payoff. The main roster seems to consistently set up situations that are almost impossible to pay off.

In my older age there are just some moves I really don't want to see. A top-rope inverse hurracana is one of them. What makes it even worse is it happened to a wrestler who is hot, getting hotter, and has TONS of upside. We have already seen Daniel Bryan derailed due to his own stupidity (and flat out bad luck), hopefully the same doesn't happen to Sasha. A week off is probably all she needs to shake the cobb webs out and hopefully she didn't suffer a concussion.

Yeah, after seeing the fallout for Kobashi, Kawada and Misawa after 10+ years of that stuff I think the lesson should be that crazy bumps should be taken very sparingly. I'm no doctor, but my time spent training in martial arts informs me a little on how fragile the human body can be. Your spine and neck are two things you want to protect at all costs. And those are the two major casualties of a lot of the ridiculous neck and head bumps you end up seeing over time. One of the other things you're taught is to protect your head. Getting your brain rattled around on a consistent basis is very bad for you. Moreso if it results in concussions. Your brain is the general, it calls all the shots for the rest of your body. If that starts to go on the fritz your life is going to get a lot tougher and less enjoyable.

Yeah, after seeing the fallout for Kobashi, Kawada and Misawa after 10+ years of that stuff I think the lesson should be that crazy bumps should be taken very sparingly.

The AJPW guys generally weren't doing it like THAT. The vast majority of the time, they sort of rolled with the momentum rather than just spiking directly downward; and usually they absorbed some the impact with their forearms or their shoulders, rather than landing entirely on their head like poor Sasha did here. That's basically the same bump at the same angle that paralyzed Hayabusa.

Eh, I wouldn't judge a bump on how it looks. That differed from Hayabusa's injury vastly because her momentum took her over with the impact, whereas his body took a back bump with his head tucked back the wrong way (i.e. his momentum took him back the opposite way). If she had signs of a concussion they don't send her out the next night, not post-Benoit, certainly not with the Punk lawsuit... she fed up and took the finish fine, there was no reports of her collapsing backstage. It's a risky spot, and all the more for a woman with a slim frame (see Tyson Kidd's neck muscles saving his life), but the same thing happened to Jericho from the top rope and he was fine as I recall. I'd actually wager that that exact same bump has happened in just about every wrestling school because no matter how many reps you do with a crash pad or with someone assisting your flip, there's always one.