Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

Cody’s statement:

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/aew-cody-rhodes-departure-fan-reactions/

"I have loved my time at AEW. Amazing locker room. Amazing fans. Amazing people. The 'revolution' was indeed televised, and I've been incredibly lucky to be part of that. First, I want to thank Tony Khan. He's taken the baton and run with it, and it was an honor to work for him and to know him on a personal level. He's a beautiful soul. Obviously need to thank my incredible wife and the mother of my baby girl, Brandi, for all of her love and support throughout this journey together and the amazing relationships she fostered with Kulture City and the American Heart Association. I also need to thank Nick and Matt Jackson (these two, whether they know it or not, took an undesired and not confident lir cub and gifted me the confidence to become a leader of the pack), Kenneth Omega, Chris Jericho, Chicken...we started the fire. I must thank Tim W/Keith M/Greg W and the amazing production crew who understood and captured the vision with such grace. I can't name everybody, but thank you to Megha, Margaret, Harrington, Jeff Jones, Dana, Tony Schiavone, Bern, Raf, and the hardest worker in the game, QT Marshall, for propping me up and kicking me in the ass when I was running on fumes. I must thank all my kiddos... MJF, Jade, Sammy, Darby, Lee, Ricky, Tom, The Gunns, Brock, Velvet, Nyla, Aubrey, Turner, Vanilla, Solo, Spears, Julia, Anna, Will, Wardlow, Sonny, Fuego 1 and of course, -1. While we're at it, give Jade the Codyvator! 

Also need to take a moment to thank the great partners at Warner Media including Brett, Sam and the rest of the team," he continued. "I have so many milestones and beautiful memories of this renaissance...through sweat, blood, tears, literal fire, and all that...I left it all on the mat. Everything pales in comparison to the final contribution I was empowered to lead at the company, the community outreach team. In the most inward moments, your outward behavior and your ability to take fame/influence and do something of value for the communities you visit (whether the cameras are on or off) is the highest honor. I am confident Amanda Huber will lead the department with style. I'm so proud of my creations and contributions and the items I supported or collaborated on with such wonderful professionals. Thank you, fans. Y'all did the work! Let's live forever."  

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this may as well have been 500 years ago and not 34, but Dave wrote in the 1988 WONs that you shouldn't expect Arn & Tully to be buried or given wacky gimmick makeovers when they jumped to the WWF in 1988, because that would have killed the WWF's chances of grabbing Ric Flair. And as it turned out, other than maybe a wacky gimmick tag name, Arn and Tully were mostly left alone. So I don't really see Cody jobbing to Grayson Waller on NXT--they have to do right by him if they want to get any other major AEW talent to jump.

I'm a newbie to AEW, only been watching since September. Though I do recognize his contributions to the company and the business in the last 3 years, I was bored to tears with Cody and his "Codyverse", so him leaving is a welcome development to me. Specially because it liberates 20 minutes of TV time to wrestlers I'm much interested in watching.

If this is a work I'ma be disappointed as hell, lol.

52 minutes ago, MoS said:

Guess that Dan Lambert segment in Chicago didn't go over great 

Which also begs the question, what happens with PVZ ? Thunder Rosa is going against Baker, but there is certainly potential for PVZ in pro-wrestling and honestly Brandi would not have been the one to carry a match. Time for Red Velvet as a stand-in again ? :P All jokes aside, I sure hope we get a PVZ match and Velvet wouldn't be the worse choice considering what she did with Jade.

I also don't see what the "work" from this would be about? Ok, you trick the fans into thinking you are leaving but you are not. But there is no big angle you are involved in, nor a big angle within the company for Cody to get involved in as a surprise. There's no big swerve beside his music hitting on Dynamite and him getting a big pop (and then big boos). Would it be for him to finally turn heel? It would honestly be one of the dumbest ways of turning heel I'd ever seen if that's the case.

The only way I can see Cody going back to WWE would be if they were able to work something out with the trademarks he was trying to get, but I have a hard time seeing WWE giving up the rights to anything for Cody. Maybe he could go help the NWA try to get off the ground again. Still an interesting situation though. 

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Oh no!!!

This really deserves its own thread. This is really big AEW news that shouldn't get lost in a megathread. Anyway we can separate 'em by a mod?

It's interesting to me mostly because I'm not sure why Cody would potentially want to go back to WWE. Maybe there's something there that can still entice him, that AEW can not provide, like getting the rights to his dad's stuff or something? Or maybe he thinks due to his stint in AEW he can be a WWE main eventer now & be at the top of a card? I'm not sure. I do know that he has done really well for himself, outside of wrestling, with multiple shows now. So it's not just going to be money. 

I'm wondering if he really did have a big falling out with the Young Bucks & Omega. Or maybe it was with Tony Khan, who knows? His PPV match against Dustin was great but I won't shed tears over Brandi's departure, that's for sure.

20 minutes ago, Coffey said:

This really deserves its own thread. This is really big AEW news that shouldn't get lost in a megathread. Anyway we can separate 'em by a mod?

It's interesting to me mostly because I'm not sure why Cody would potentially want to go back to WWE. Maybe there's something there that can still entice him, that AEW can not provide, like getting the rights to his dad's stuff or something? Or maybe he thinks due to his stint in AEW he can be a WWE main eventer now & be at the top of a card? I'm not sure. I do know that he has done really well for himself, outside of wrestling, with multiple shows now. So it's not just going to be money. 

I'm wondering if he really did have a big falling out with the Young Bucks & Omega. Or maybe it was with Tony Khan, who knows? His PPV match against Dustin was great but I won't shed tears over Brandi's departure, that's for sure.

The only plausible thing I've seen so far is a wild amount of money from Vince to get an AEW person to jump.

1 hour ago, MoS said:

Boomer Murrican fans, is this how it felt experiencing the MNW in real time, times 10? I was a kid in India then, all I knew was that Steve Austin was the man, so I don't have perspective. If so, it's really fun. Can't imagine why some tribalistic fans get so annoyed at the mere idea of a viable alternative/competition existing, it makes things ten times more enjoyable

Not a boomer but an old millennial, but yeah... this is like that. Reminds me a little of Bret, in the sense that it's the potential of a guy leaving who was very associated with the company.

Its not even really that obvious where Cody would fit into WWE's current structure to be honest. He doesn't really work that well as a face so he has to be a heel long-term, even if he comes in as a face, but storyline or position wise does he really come in above a KO or even Sami Zayn? 

I cant see them pushing him to the moon to be honest, especially considering how petty the departure was at the time

Is there any money in a quick New Japan run? I have no idea on how their business is doing at the moment or pandemic scenario etc