Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1000% that

Anyone pretending Dave said something offensive there is playacting.

The Twitter reactions are so weird.....How in any way can that be interpreted as something other than "segregation is bad, and holding another segregated show for the minority group won't cancel out that segregation is bad"?

People are actually saying that it's racist?

yes indeed

Dave needs to stop Twitter. He's not good at it. When a black guy basically says " Hey man, I know what you're trying to get at, and I see what you're trying to get across, but shut up, white guy", gets met with more Twitter arguments from Dave?

For those of you not living in America or watching the news, racial issues are really sensitive right now, thanks to having a white suprematist as President.

I love Dave, get him off Twitter.

Twitter isn't journalism.

Dave needs to stop Twitter. He's not good at it. When a black guy basically says " Hey man, I know what you're trying to get at, and I see what you're trying to get across, but shut up, white guy", gets met with more Twitter arguments from Dave?

For those of you not living in America or watching the news, racial issues are really sensitive right now, thanks to having a white suprematist as President.

Agreed.

If he thinks his twitter is good for getting subs to the WON, I really disagree that happens.

My favourite was Kevin Nash telling Alex Shelley about how he drew 29,000 to MSG and Shelley asking "Does the Garden even hold 29,000?" and Nash responding "... it did that night."

TNA Kevin Nash is my favorite Kevin Nash. I remember him joking around on screen about how great he was at getting paid to do nothing. His X Division stuff is underrated imo.

Twitter isn't journalism.

I'm guessing from what Dave's said about twitter, he agrees with you that it's not journalism. That's why he'll act like a twat on twitter. It's as much self-promotion as anything else. He's acting like wrestlers might in shoot interviews. He'll tell facts and correct stories. But he'll also rustle people, state things in a way where he puts himself over, and encourage people to have strong reactions to what he says.

Does it work? Who knows. He's got the numbers. If they have gone up, maybe there are alternate causes (e.g. I do think the wrestling podcasting boom has probably helped the observer.) edit: it might help his social media numbers though, let's face it...hot takers get more traction on social media, and I wonder if that helps him get higher ad rates for f4w.com

He might just enjoy getting people worked up and Twitter is an easy avenue to get a few laughs at people freaking out.

Honestly, I would be Metlz, I would totally troll the idiotic Twitter crowd to no end and watch them get ulcers over nothing. Plus it's so damn easy anyway, almost too easy.

He might just enjoy getting people worked up and Twitter is an easy avenue to get a few laughs at people freaking out.

Honestly, I would be Metlz, I would totally troll the idiotic Twitter crowd to no end and watch them get ulcers over nothing. Plus it's so damn easy anyway, almost too easy.

It is. Think about the hours of amusement you could get for almost no effort at all. You don't even have to try most of the time.

Dave once said on the F4W Board that he embraced his confrontational online persona a few years ago when he heard from a bunch of his son's friends that they all think it's cool when he owns people on Twitter. So yes, Dave acts the way he does because it impressed a bunch of middle schoolers. Well, that is how you draw money in the business, isn't it?

Dave once said on the F4W Board that he embraced his confrontational online persona a few years ago when he heard from a bunch of his son's friends that they all think it's cool when he owns people on Twitter. So yes, Dave acts the way he does because it impressed a bunch of middle schoolers. Well, that is how you draw money in the business, isn't it?

I could be wrong, but I believe Dave has also said marketing people have told him that the persona gimmick is a way to boost social media numbers. I mean...given what twitter is and looking at Dave's follower count vs. any other wrestling media's follower counts, I'm not sure that's wrong. If Dave tried to replicate his current newsletter voice on twitter, I don't think he'd get as much attention or as many eyeballs. I'd prefer if he did that though.

But I'm sure what you wrote is part of the equation too. Dave's sometimes talked about how he's confident about verbally dunking on people, but would occasionally get nervous before having some people from the wrestling business on his show, e.g. Bobby Heenan. Twitter is just another format for that, and people more people to dunk on, if you feel like doing it.

Random aside. Does anyone still get the WON in print? I really want one for nostalgia but it's so fucking expensive.

That's how I still get it. All Dave really cares about is writing the Observer like he's done it for 30 years, so I'd rather read it the way it's intended. If they had PDF versions of the print edition, or the issues were properly indexed and formatted for the web, I'd consider it. The rest of the website isn't a value-add for me - none of the podcasts are particularly interesting, what little bit of their message board I've seen seems like a wreddit you have to pay for, and their web template is awful.

I think it gets more subscribers, but it's such short-term thinking. Dave talked in the Lance Russell bio about how they could have drawn a house off of a heel attacking Lance since the audience loved him so much, but they wanted to keep him credible. So, just saying ...

Dave has said before that he is careful with who he gets into verbals with. He didn't actually say his name but pretty much everyone could tell he was talking about Kevin Nash one time. It's something that I get but also kind of bothers me when it comes to Dave and Nash. He said he would never get into a verbal with him.. so stays committed to bizarre half-attacks from the safety of his radio show. The WON/F4W crowd are all kinda like that. The most bizarre was when Dave saw Nash posing after he had worked out and got on Twitter and, while never mentioning Kevin, said how ridiculous it was at his age.. this was not long before Dave was posing with the PWG boys and showing off his biceps and shit.

Random aside. Does anyone still get the WON in print? I really want one for nostalgia but it's so fucking expensive.

That's how I still get it. All Dave really cares about is writing the Observer like he's done it for 30 years, so I'd rather read it the way it's intended. If they had PDF versions of the print edition, or the issues were properly indexed and formatted for the web, I'd consider it. The rest of the website isn't a value-add for me - none of the podcasts are particularly interesting, what little bit of their message board I've seen seems like a wreddit you have to pay for, and their web template is awful.

I still get it in print for exactly these reasons.

I Have always thought that Dave is very trustworthy as any journalist when it comes to what he reports, he is human he makes mistakes but what human does not he is the most trusted journalists in this medium in my eyes. The main thing he gets called upon is his opinions as the old saying goes opinions are like assholes.