Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Sempervive has an ongoing thread on the WON board where he shares replies from folks he knows in WWE being asked questions on various topics. Someone asked about political leanings and the reply was Vince and Dunn are so far to the right all the elevators in Stanford have two monitors: one for the WWE Network and another for Fox News.

Not that it surprises me, but it does make for a good source of jokes about which network tries to shape their viewers' opinions more.

Reminds me. In a WOR a few weeks back, Jack Encarnacao was pitching this absurd idea of how WWE Network should include writing meetings on the network. Silly idea argument aside, Meltzer and Alvarez replied with plenty of reasons why this would never ever happened, including Dave Meltzer bluntly saying how they would have to control themselves and stop doing racist and off-color jokes during those meetings.

Apparently not considering the massive outpoor of reactions since yesterday.

But it's pretty shocking. Another one bites the dust, and a pretty young one too. He was one of the enjoyable NBT. Had he been brought directly though the WWE machine during the early 00's, he may have become something, he totally had the look they were aiming for at the time, and he was athletic as hell.

I've watched wrestling almost my entire life and have no attachment to the irish whip. And I hate badly coloured tights. That's some kitsch nonsense, Parv.

That thread isn't the place to debate it, but my view is that if you want a real fight, go and watch UFC or the Olympics. I prefer my pretend fighting with Irish whips in it. And dropkicks. And suplexes. And "selling" in the manner of a Ricky Steamboat or Terry Funk. I have no problem being wedded to that particular vision of pro wrestling, because that's what made me a fan and that's what I'm a fan of. I'm open to other styles, and other things, but that UWF style is so far from what brought me to the dance that it might as well not be pro wrestling. I am really almost philosophically opposed to it. I don't understand what it's trying to achieve or why. I actually hate it, to be honest, I'd go as far as to call it "anti-wrestling". It's more offensive to me than a George Steele match in which he eats the turnbuckle and spends most of the time outside the ring.

I've watched wrestling almost my entire life and have no attachment to the irish whip. And I hate badly coloured tights. That's some kitsch nonsense, Parv.

That thread isn't the place to debate it, but my view is that if you want a real fight, go and watch UFC or the Olympics. I prefer my pretend fighting with Irish whips in it. And dropkicks. And suplexes. And "selling" in the manner of a Ricky Steamboat or Terry Funk. I have no problem being wedded to that particular vision of pro wrestling, because that's what made me a fan and that's what I'm a fan of. I'm open to other styles, and other things, but that UWF style is so far from what brought me to the dance that it might as well not be pro wrestling. I am really almost philosophically opposed to it. I don't understand what it's trying to achieve or why. I actually hate it, to be honest, I'd go as far as to call it "anti-wrestling". It's more offensive to me than a George Steele match in which he eats the turnbuckle and spends most of the time outside the ring.

And if I want to watch a worked shoot what do I do? You don't half carry on about this stuff. It's possible to like a worked shoot and a MMA fight just as it's possible to like a worked shoot and something carny just as it's possible for a worked shoot to be carny. It's obvious what it's trying to achieve and why. If you legitimately don't know then you're just being flippant.

If whoever putting that up is getting it right from the Chicago Film Archives, he is paying a lot of money for each match.

Without clicking on any of it yet, I assume commentary is all in English? Many of those matches also appeared on the Encyclopedia of Pro Wrestling discs put out in Japan several years ago.

Very nice to see it all in one place like that.

Holy shit. I have the worst luck in going on vacation. (Tomorrow starts four days away from Wifi). Glad it's the archivists posting it so I can be assured it'll be there when I'm back. I see a 50 minute Thesz/Rogers match in there. The Sheik, Don Leo Jonathan, lots of Verne Gagne. I can't wait to dig into it.

Verne vs. Carpentier has people going pretty nuts. Carpentier is billed as the World Champion, and Verne beats him for the title.

There is a Thesz-Rogers match up there apparently from Wrigley Field on June 21, 1950 as well.

Ken Viewer on Classics noted that a year ago all 200+ hours they had converted could be had on dvd for around $14000. That give syou an idea on how much some folks were playing for a match or two on dvd before now.

All I can say is "wow".

Khawk - as our resident Verne expert I was going to ask about that Carpentier match. I guess that it's "new".

There are two Thesz-Rogers matches, the one from the Japanese DVD that I bought over there was a 60 min draw that I felt was kind of boring when I watched it. I know that some people in Japan (and some in this board) had a copy obtained through other methods and had to lay low. I guess this stuff is now all in the open.

Unrelated stuff: I had forgotten how annoying Scott Hall's fake accent was during the early nWo days.

I don't understand what it's trying to achieve or why.

you could compare it to movie fight scenes, no? also you have to remember that this stuff came way before actual MMA got popular - heck, shootstyle basically spawned MMA in japan IIRC. so this was people's first exposure to this kind of stuff!

that would explain its success at the time, but you clearly seem to be wondering why people still enjoy it nowadays as well. where i think you diverge is your assumption that real fights MUST inherently be boring. my suspicion is that people who love shootstyle tend to lie more in the "real sports tell better stories than pro wrestling" camp.

that would explain its success at the time, but you clearly seem to be wondering why people still enjoy it nowadays as well. where i think you diverge is your assumption that real fights MUST inherently be boring. my suspicion is that people who love shootstyle tend to lie more in the "real sports tell better stories than pro wrestling" camp.

I love shoot style but whenever I see the "why not watch a real fight?" argument I can't help but respond in my head with "because a real fight is usually boring as hell."

I really don't see what's so different about shoot style. It's not really any different from any other way guys can put together a match in that you have the exact same goal of simulating violence by filtering out the boring parts while exaggerating the exciting ones. If the problem is that you can't move past seeing it as a second rate imitation of UFC and into seeing it as just another wrestling style it might be a good idea to check out some of the great cross-over matches like Takada/Hashimoto and Kawada/Albright before diving into the RINGS epics.

That archive is amazing on so many levels. It's rare enough that there's that much footage from the 50s existing in one place, let alone somewhere willing to clean it up and make it publicly available like that. I wonder if there's other archives sitting on a shelf somewhere that might come to light because of this.