Pro Wrestling Only

Brock is back

Bix

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus fucking Christ. You are trying to argue that losing by disqualification is the same as doing a clean job.

Not at all. What I was pointing out in the non-pin and non-submission "losses" was the absence of what you and Lance were claiming:

He was rolling through the roster.

Brock Lesnar in his nearly two year WWE career lost via DQ or submission lost to exactly six different wrestlers.

That appears to be more than when we started this conversation. Also, why do you think "six different wrestlers in two years" is a small number for a 2002-2004 main eventer? Did HHH get pinned by a dozen guys in that same time frame?

His total of clean jobs was two, to Kurt Angle and Goldberg. He lost exactly four singles matches in this run. To Big Show, Eddy Guerrero, Kurt Angle and Goldberg.

Pins in three-way dances were the equiv of singles matches in that era. I mean... does Benoit's win over Trip at Mania not count because Shawn was in the match?

Anyway, here are his pins... along with a couple of early pin-avoidance moments that didn't make Brock look good. I'm not sure if he ever got his pin over RVD, which is pretty funny given how Trip eventually cut off RVD's legs.

WWF @ Binghamton, NY - Broome County Arena - January 4, 2002 (6,192)

Lance Storm pinned Brock Lesnar with a bridge after hitting the superkick and using the ropes for leverage

WWF @ Springfield, MA - Civic Center - January 5, 2002 (6,587)

Lance Storm pinned Brock Lesnar with a backslide and using the ropes for leverage; after the match, Lesnar knocked Storm out

WWF @ Beaumont, TX - January 12, 2002 (4,004)

Hugh Morrus pinned Brock Lesnar

WWF @ Waco, TX - January 13, 2002 (3,537)

Hugh Morrus pinned Brock Lesnar

WWF @ Chattanooga, TN - January 19, 2002 (4,370)

Tommy Dreamer & Steven Richards defeated Brock Lesnar & Randy Orton

Don't know who ate the pin there, but 50/50 we can add Dreamer or Richards to the list.

WWF @ Richmond, VA - Coliseum - January 28, 2002 (9,034)

Mr. Perfect pinned Brock Lesnar with the Perfect Plex

Those are all before Brock's TV debut.

The following are all after Brock's TV debut.

WWF (Raw) @ Abilene, TX - April 14, 2002

Bradshaw pinned Brock Lesnar with the Clothesline from Hell

WWE @ Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre - May 13, 2002

Raw:

Matt & Jeff Hardy defeated Brock Lesnar (w/ Paul Heyman) via disqualification in a handicap match at 3:28 when Heyman broke the cover as Jeff had Lesnar pinned

Thank you Paul for saving Brock from jobbing to the Hardys

WWE @ Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena - June 24, 2002

Raw

WWE IC Champion Rob Van Dam defeated Brock Lesnar (w/ Paul Heyman) via disqualification when Heyman broke the pinfall after the champion hit a moonsault; after the bout, RVD hit the Van Daminator on Lesnar and the Five Star Frog Splash on Heyman before Lesnar powerbombed him through the announce table

Thank you Paul for saving Brock from jobbing to RVD

WWE (Raw) @ Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun - June 30, 2002

WWE IC Champion Rob Van Dam defeated Brock Lesnar via disqualification when Paul Heyman prevented the pinfall after the champion hit the Five Star Frog Splash; after the bout, Lesnar attacked RVD

Thank you Paul for saving Brock from jobbing to RVD

I could post more of those, but it was the common finish to the Brock-RVD matches around the horn. How commong?

Vengeance 02 - Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena - July 21, 2002 (12,000)

WWE IC Champion Rob Van Dam defeated Brock Lesnar (w/ Paul Heyman) via disqualification at 9:38 when Heyman pulled referee Charles Robinson out of the ring to prevent the pin after RVD hit the Five Star Frog Splash on the challenger; prior to the bout, Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler came ringisde to call the last half of the show; after the match, Lesnar assaulted the referee before he and RVD brawled in the ring; moments later, RVD attmepted to hit the Van Terminator but Heyman distracted him long enough for Lesnar to attack the champion and hit the F5 onto a steel chair

They ran it again on the PPV a month after doing it on TV on Raw.

Survivor Series 02 - New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - November 17, 2002 (17,930; 15,500 paid)

The Big Show pinned WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar (w/ Paul Heyman) to win the title at 4:19 after hitting the champion in the midsection with a chair followed by a chokeslam onto the chair; moments before the finish, Heyman turned on Lesnar by pulling the referee out of the ring and knocking him out after Lesnar hit the F5 on the challenger; immediately after the match, Heyman & Show drove out of the arena

WWE @ Pittsburgh, PA - Mellon Arena - March 11, 2003

WWE Smackdown!

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle pinned Brock Lesnar at 1:17 with a cradle after switching places with his brother Eric Angle, who was destroyed by Lesnar from the moment the bell rung and suffered the F5 on Kurt's behalf; during Lesnar's intro before the match, Kurt rolled underneath the ring and Eric took his place

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena - March 15, 2003

The Rock pinned Brock Lesnar by avoiding the F5 and hitting the Rock Bottom

WWE @ Pensacola, FL - Civic Center - May 27, 2003

Smackdown!

The Big Show (sub. for Nunzio), Chuck Palumbo, & Johnny Stamboli defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar & the Undertaker in a handicap match when Show pinned Lesnar with the chokeslam

WWE @ Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre - July 8, 2003 (10,000)

Tyson Moody pinned Mark Bartilucci

Smackdown!:

The Big Show & WWE Smackdown! Tag Team Champions Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar in a falls count anywhere non-title handicap match when Show hit a chokeslam off the ring steps through the commentary table and scored the pin with one foot on the chest

Vengeance 03 (Smackdown!) - Denver, CO - Pepsi Arena - July 27, 2003 (9,500)

Kurt Angle defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar and the Big Show at 17:38 to win the title after hitting the Olympic Slam on both opponents and scoring the pin on Lesnar

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Calgary, Alberta - Saddledome - August 2, 2003

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle pinned Brock Lesnar with the Olympic Slam

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Edmonton, Alberta - Skyreach Centre - August 3, 2003

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle pinned Brock Lesnar

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Wichita, KS - Kansas Coliseum - August 10, 2003

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show when Angle pinned Lesnar with the Olympic Slam

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena - August 11, 2003

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Minneapolis, MN - Target Center - August 16, 2003

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show by pinning Lesnar, moments after Lesnar suffered Show's chokeslam and Angle hit the Olympic Slam on Show; prior to the match, Lesnar hit the F5 on John Cena - who was deemed the special referee for the bout; Cena was replaced by a normal referee moments afterwards

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Hamilton, Ontario - Copps Coliseum - August 17, 2003

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show by pinning Lesnar after hitting the Olympic Slam on both men; prior to the match, Angle hit the Olympic Slam on John Cena - who was deemed the special referee for the bout; Cena was replaced by a normal referee moments afterwards

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Sarnia, Ontario - Sports & Entertainment Centre - August 18, 2003

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show by pinning Lesnar with the Olympic Slam

Summer Slam 03 - Phoenix, AZ - America West Arena - August 24, 2003 (16,113; sell out)

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar via submission with the ankle lock at 21:18 after avoiding an attempt at the F5; late in the bout, Vince McMahon came ringside and hit the champion in the back with a steel chair while the referee was knocked out; after the match, Angle avoided an attack from McMahon before dropping him onto a steel chair set up inside the ring

WWE @ El Paso, TX - Haskins Center - August 26, 2003

The Undertaker defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show in a No DQ match at around the 15-minute mark by pinning Lesnar with a powerbomb out of the corner after Show tumbled off the top rope to the floor; due to pre-match stipulations, the Undertaker earned a world title shot against WWE World Champion Kurt Angle for the following week; Kurt Angle did guest commentary for the match; the match began during the commercial break

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Boston, MA - FleetCenter - August 30, 2003

The Undertaker defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show by pinning Show after hitting both men with a steel chair; John Cena was the special referee for the bout and, afterwards, dominated an altercation with Brock Lesnar

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - August 31, 2003

The Undertaker defeated Brock Lesnar and the Big Show in a No DQ match by pinning Lesnar; after the bout, John Cena - who was the guest referee - dominated an altercation with Lesnar

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Columbus, GA - Civic Center - September 8, 2003

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle & the Undertaker defeated the Big Show & Brock Lesnar when Taker pinned Lesnar with the chokeslam

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Roanoke, VA - Civic Center - September 13, 2003

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar via submission with the ankle lock into a heel hook after 40 minutes

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Richmond, VA - Coliseum - September 14, 2003

WWE World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar via submission with the ankle lock after hitting the Olympic Slam; after the bout, it appeared as though Lesnar had suffered a legit leg injury

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Greenville, NC - Minges Coliseum - September 15, 2003

WWE Smackdown! World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar via submission after about 2 minutes; prior to the match, Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Albert, and Sean O'Haire attacked the champion until Kidman, Noble, and the Acolytes made the save

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Cologne, Germany - Colognearena - October 10, 2003

Kurt Angle & the Undertaker defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar & John Cena when Taker pinned Lesnar with the powerbomb

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Manchester, England - Evening News Arena - October 12, 2003 (matinee)

Kurt Angle & the Undertaker defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar & John Cena when Taker pinned Lesnar with the powerbomb

WWE @ Albany, NY - Pepsi Arena - October 21, 2003

Smackdown!:

The Undertaker defeated WWE Smackdown! World Champion Brock Lesnar & WWE US Champion the Big Show in a handicap match at 14:17 by pinning Lesnar after hitting both he and Show with a steel chain wrapped around his fist; Taker had originally pinned Show with a chokeslam off the top at 5:18 but Paul Heyman came out and made the match into a Best 2 out of 3 falls contest; Taker then won via count-out at 11:54 after throwing Lesnar into the front row but Heyman turned the bout into a No Count-Out match; Show & Lesnar were disqualified at 12:39 when Show hit Taker in the back with a chair but Heyman made the match into a No DQ contest; due to prematch stipulations, Taker earned the right to face anyone he wants, anywhere, anytime, and with any stipulations; after the match, Taker was further attacked by his opponents - eventually suffering an F5 into the ringpost; moments thereafter, Vince McMahon confronted the beaten and bruised Taker about who he wanted to fight; Taker then said he didn't want a title match with Lesnar but rather a Buried Alive match at Survivor Series with Vince himself

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Ottawa, Ontario - Corel Centre - November 3, 2003 (1,600)

The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, & Chris Benoit defeated WWE Smackdown! World Champion Brock Lesnar, WWE US Champion the Big Show, & Albert when Taker pinned Lesnar with the chokeslam

Survivor Series 03 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center - November 16, 2003

Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, John Cena, Hardcore Holly, & Bradshaw defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar, WWE US Champion the Big Show, Matt Morgan, Nathan Jones, & Albert in an elimination match at 13:17; Holly was disqualified for shoving the referee on the floor as a brawl ensued before the bell rang; Bradshaw pinned Albert with the Clothesline from Hell at the 28-second mark; Show pinned Bradshaw with the chokeslam at the 50-second mark after Jones hit Bradshaw from behind as he attempted the Clothesline from Hell; Angle pinned Morgan with the Olympic Slam at 9:06; Jones submitted to Angle's ankle lock at 9:31; Lesnar pinned Angle with the F5 at 9:44; Lesnar submitted to Benoit's Crippler Crossface at 11:51; Cena pinned Show with the FU after hitting him with a steel chain

WWE @ Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Dome - February 10, 2004

Smackdown!

Eddie Guerrero & John Cena (sub. for Kurt Angle) defeated WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar & WWE US Champion the Big Show at 17:26 when Guerrero pinned Lesnar with a low blow, using Cena's steel chain, and a cradle as Lesnar and the referee were distracted by Kurt Angle - who came ringside and hit both Cena and Show with a steel chair - blaming them for knocking him out backstage earlier in the broadcast

No Way Out 04 (Smackdown!) - San Francisco, CA - Cow Palace - February 15, 2004 (11,000; 9,000 paid; sell out)

Eddie Guerrero pinned WWE World Champion Brock Lesnar to win the title at 30:05 with the Frog Splash after reversing an attempt at the F5 into a tornado DDT onto the title belt; late in the bout, Lesnar attempted to use the title belt as a weapon while the referee was knocked out but Bill Goldberg, who was arrested earlier in the evening, came out and hit the spear on the champion; after the match, Guerrero celebrated in the crowd and was congratulated by his mother and brother Mondo who sat ringside

WWE (Smackdown!) @ Stockton, CA - Memorial Civic Auditorium - February 16, 2004 (sell out)

WWE World Champion Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, & Hardcore Holly defeated Brock Lesnar, WWE US Champion the Big Show, & Albert when Guerrero pinned Lesnar with the Frog Splash; after the bout, Angle and Holly congratulated Guerrero on his title win the preivous night

WrestleMania XX - New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - March 14, 2004 (18,500 paid; sell out)

Bill Goldberg pinned Brock Lesnar at 13:48 with the spear and Jackhammer; after the bout, guest referee Steve Austin hit the Stunner on Lesnar before doing the same to Goldberg

So yeah the point stands.

Not really at all. The point that Brock ran through the roster isn't supported. The point that he ran through the roster and didn't do jobs on the way out isn't supported.

This latest one has Taker and Angle the biggest stars on SmackDown, not the guy who was allegedly running through the roster.

Wrong, I think it is clear I was referring to Taker and Angle at various intervals being the top faces, depending on Brock's alignment. But that does not fit your narrative.

I don't think much of anything in your posts are clear as you're bouncing around off walls.

John

Pins in three-way dances were the equiv of singles matches in that era. I mean... does Benoit's win over Trip at Mania not count because Shawn was in the match?

Angle pinned him in the Triple Threat, that means two wrestlers got clean wins over Brock.

I also mentioned that Brock jobbed on house shows before debuting on TV.

Brock pinned RVD at King of the Ring. The only reason I think they protected RVD so much at the time was they were planning to do Brock/RVD post Summerslam. Or at least keep him viable as a main eventer, and Brock did kick RVD's ass at Vengeance convincingly.

And no I do not consider losing in a Triple Threat a clean loss.

Not really at all. The point that Brock ran through the roster isn't supported. The point that he ran through the roster and didn't do jobs on the way out isn't supported.

He beat the Rock at Summerslam 02.

He beat Big Show at multiple ppvs.

He beat Kurt Angle in the main event of Wrestlemania.

He beat Hulk Hogan cleanly on TV.

He beat Undertaker clean in a Hell in a Cell match.

In that time he lost two single matches cleanly. One to Angle at Summerslam and one to Goldberg at Wrestlemania XX.

Heh, was just listning to Observer Radio from a day or 2 ago whear Meltzer said he talked to Terry Funk about the Brock angle and that Funk had a gut feeling Heyman had been heavily involved & possibly booking a lot of it from the start but Meltzer was skeptical on it.

If this leads to Paul E coming back, I'm all for it.

I stand by my words from last month. I know he's not everybody's favorite, but...he's probably my favorite carny scumbag walking the face of the Earth, so I'm glad he will be appearing on my TV again somewhat frequently.

He is a good personality and the way they used him tonight was good. Knowing him was not essential, but a bonus to long time viewers. A nice touch to say Brock was bringing BACK legitimacy to WWE and putting over being the only man to be UFC and WWE Champion. Making sure both were seen as equal.

I FF through Raw (I still can't handle most of what constitute the product). Man, Heyman never looked young anyway (I'm gong through WCW 91, and to think he was 26 then is head scratching), but he looks old, much older than his actual age. He can still cut a damn good promo and sounds better and more natural and anyone on the roster. Heyman back on TV is good. Some continuity from WWE, it's rare enough.

Apparently Heyman will be a semi regular and will cut Brock's promos for him while he's gone. It helps cut down on his contractual dates and will build towards Brock v Hunter at Summerslam obviously

Tensai v Punk is also on the books for Summerslam apparently (Scott Keith is going to kill himself)

PWI

I did not think that Paul Heyman should have been associated with Brock this time around, but when they announced that his legal representative would be there to give a statement, I figured they would bring out one of those typical boring nondescript actors in a suit so it was actually a real nice surprise when it turned out to be Heyman. I also thought he came across as really low key compared to his character in the past, almost like he WAS a nondescript actor, which I thought was brilliant.

Does Paul have enough time to win a WON Award this year?

1991 Best Color Commentator

1994 Best Booker

1994 Best Weekly Television Show

1995 Best Booker

1995 Best Weekly Television Show

1996 Best Booker

1996 Best Weekly Television Show

1997 Best Booker

2001 Best Non-Wrestler

2002 Best Non-Wrestler

2002 Best Booker

2002 Best Weekly Television Show (SmackDown!)

2004 Best Non-Wrestler

13 of them. One can debate the SmackDown one... but it would be fair to say he was the "show runner" for the beloved period that won SD the award, and it was more the product in the ring and storylines that won the award than Kevin Dunn's directing/production or much Vince influence.

Paul still has a way to go to catch Corny:

12 Manager of the Year Awards

5 Best on Interviews

3 Best Bookers

1 Best Non-Wrestler

1 Best Pro Wrestling Book

22 of them.

John

Apparently Heyman will be a semi regular and will cut Brock's promos for him while he's gone. It helps cut down on his contractual dates and will build towards Brock v Hunter at Summerslam obviously

Heyman back in the mix is great, and he'll bring a whole new element/slant to the angle with Hunter. You know at some point he's going to rip into HHH and Stephanie being the heirs to the McMahon throne.

Tensai v Punk is also on the books for Summerslam apparently (Scott Keith is going to kill himself)

PWI

They better figure out how to get Tensai over before they pencil that one in. He's beat Cena and Punk now and aligned himself with the big heel authority figure, and there hasn't been a single crowd that seems to give a shit about him yet.

Does Paul have enough time to win a WON Award this year?

1991 Best Color Commentator

1994 Best Booker

1994 Best Weekly Television Show

1995 Best Booker

1995 Best Weekly Television Show

1996 Best Booker

1996 Best Weekly Television Show

1997 Best Booker

2001 Best Non-Wrestler

2002 Best Non-Wrestler

2002 Best Booker

2002 Best Weekly Television Show (SmackDown!)

2004 Best Non-Wrestler

13 of them. One can debate the SmackDown one... but it would be fair to say he was the "show runner" for the beloved period that won SD the award, and it was more the product in the ring and storylines that won the award than Kevin Dunn's directing/production or much Vince influence.

Paul still has a way to go to catch Corny:

12 Manager of the Year Awards

5 Best on Interviews

3 Best Bookers

1 Best Non-Wrestler

1 Best Pro Wrestling Book

22 of them.

John

ECW also won two "Best Major Wrestling Show" awards (in 98 and 99), should that count too for Heyman? And I guess "Worst" awards won't count anyway, right? (December to Dismember)

I wouldn't count Best PPV/Show Paul or any other promoter/booker. It's a bit too close to Best Feud or Best Tag Team or Best Worker etc getting credited to the Booker/Promoter. Best PPV/Show tends to be one that's memorable for great matches rather than great booker/promoter storyline work.

On the other hand, I would count Best Promotion to Paul if ECW had bagged it. That more of a sustained thing that a promoter/booker did (like the TV show) rather than just having the slots come up jackpot on a PPV.

John

Talking with casual fans the past couple of days every one of them thought that Cena winning was the right finish because Cena was getting his ass kicked for over a month and he needed to get the win. Most of these fans are glad that Brock is "gone" and don't want him back mainly because they see him as a UFC guy. A couple of them said that if they wanted to see something like Brock they would watch UFC and don't want that mixed in with WWE.

I am actually shocked you know casual fans.