Current WWE

Smack2k

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Shield just beat a who's who of babyfaces and now they are going back to Orton on team Sheamus? It sucked shit. They need to be upping the ante, not running backwards.

They already beat Cena, Ryback and Sheamus. There really isn't anywhere "up" to go unless they wind up involved with Taker or something.

The Shield just beat a who's who of babyfaces and now they are going back to Orton on team Sheamus? It sucked shit. They need to be upping the ante, not running backwards.

This. I was pretty intrigued to see how they'd line them up for Mania and a rerun of what they've done recently was not what I hoped for. On the other hand, its a pretty solid backhanded compliment that they needed to find something for their "stars" in Sheamus & Orton and are comfortable pairing them up here again. Just hope they don't rush a happy babyface ending at WM.

I actually plan on rewatching Cena-Punk tonight because I've gotta clear the DVR before vacation anyways, but thinking about some of what they pulled off it really was a great, great match. Kudos to them for delivering something like that before their super bowl.

They already beat Cena, Ryback and Sheamus. There really isn't anywhere "up" to go unless they wind up involved with Taker or something.

I would have been fine with that.

More to the point I think Ryback/Henry/Show would have been the most interesting option.

If Punk/Undertaker is on for WM, it seems like rather than putting them in another six-man tag, involving them in the build of that match would make more sense. I hate how in WM build, every feud exists in its own universe and doesn't overlap. It's too "neat".

If we aren't going to get Punk/Brock vs Taker/HHH, then I want a Punk/Shield vs Ryback/Orton/Sheamus/Taker gimmick match with Maddox as ref and Heyman in a cage above the ring.

Loved the Cena-Punk match. Fantastic stretch at the end. I know some have mentioned the execution but Cena hitting the hurricarana before the finish was something I just totally dug. Felt wild and crazy. Big bombs galore. Loved the piledriver too, shocked when it happened. When was the last time we saw a piledriver in the WWE? I honestly can't remember one since the Austin vs Angle feud in 2001.

Why has everyone been so fixated on Punk vs Taker over the last couple of months? They haven't dropped even the slightest of hints that it will happen, it exists only in the mind of the internet. Taker is just as likely to be working a six man tag against The Shield or something, where he can get away with not doing much.

Why has everyone been so fixated on Punk vs Taker over the last couple of months? They haven't dropped even the slightest of hints that it will happen, it exists only in the mind of the internet. Taker is just as likely to be working a six man tag against The Shield or something, where he can get away with not doing much.

This means fuck all. There weren't any hints for Undertaker vs Triple H in 2011 either, if memory serves me correctly everyone was convinced it was Hunter v Sheamus for revenge for putting him out, and Undertaker vs Barrett for revenge for burying him alive. Why would Taker work the Shield? They haven't dropped even the slightest of hints that it will happen, I might say. Personally I think as good an act as The Shield have been, their match at 'Mania will be throwaway filler, and I'd rather Taker not be on the card at all than be in the filler.

People have become fixated on Punk vs Taker because of the following :

(1) Punk needs something big to do at 'Mania after coming off a year plus reign as champion. He needs to be in the ring with a big babyface in a marquee match. Rock, Cena and Triple H are all busy, he's worked with Ryback until we all got sick of it, and Orton has been treading water (and they've done that).

(2) Taker needs a decent heel to wrestle at 'Mania, if he wrestles at 'Mania. Brock is busy and at his age he can't be expected to work around a massive bloke like Big Show or Mark Henry, both of whom he also has wrestled ad nauseum anyway. And nobody would give Ziggler a prayer of beating Undertaker any day of the week, not withstanding his current terrible form.

They are the only opponents that are big enough names for the other at WrestleMania, apart from the aforementioned four lads that are already busy. All that has to happen now that it's set in stone that Punk won't be in the main event of 'Mania (and they've publicized that Taker is wrestling again) is one promo on Monday about how he'll do the next best thing which is beat Taker, and how his 434 day streak as champion was more impressive than Taker beating a load of Giant Gonzalez and Bundy type rubbish, and job's a good 'un and you have 4 weeks to build it.

Why would Sheamus and Orton just forget about the three guys who have beaten them and attacked them over and over? The good guys are holding a grudge and they got to strike back a little. If Shield always comes out on top, it'd be NWO all over again. And Orton and Sheamus are top level guys, it's not like Zach Ryder and Santino got one over on them.

Why would Sheamus and Orton just forget about the three guys who have beaten them and attacked them over and over? The good guys are holding a grudge and they got to strike back a little. If Shield always comes out on top, it'd be NWO all over again. And Orton and Sheamus are top level guys, it's not like Zach Ryder and Santino got one over on them.

No one is arguing The Shield always come out on top. They should probably lose at Mania. But I don't think The Shield should be used as a vehicle to get Orton back into the upper tier.

Shrek? Really?

Really. Apparently it puts me in the minority but Sheamus does absolutely nothing for me.

No one is arguing The Shield always come out on top. They should probably lose at Mania. But I don't think The Shield should be used as a vehicle to get Orton back into the upper tier.

I think Orton is pretty well locked into his current slot unless he gets a reset under the wellness policy. As for The Shield, any definitive defeats they eat should be used to further their character and transition into a new program, not provide happy ending #4 on the PPV.

Holy shit, what an incredible match from Cena/Punk. I agree with Dylan this totally should have been the Wrestlemania. In a lot of ways, I feel this was the best 80s WWF match, only it happened in 2013. Punk did not really work a focused heat segment instead he was working on containing the awesome might of Cena. I dont know how many of you watched via Youtube, but you get what happened during the commercial breaks that way and the transition to Punk's dominance was an overhand right, which is such an 80s transition that Cena sold really well as a cheapshot. What I liked from Cena was every time he did break free from Punk, he would collect himself and pounce thus affirming Punk's fears of Cena's power. Punk was really good at capitalizing on his "big" little moves like a heel kick by immediately pinning Cena and then gaining head control. It displayed how much Punk wanted it.

What I loved the most about this match was it the story of Cena earning every single thing. My the biggest complaints of Cena that I know is how he just goes through the motions of his comeback and it is academic. This match was all about him overcoming that Punk knew it was coming. He missed the first flying tackle to the outside, which led to a Punk dive. Then he did the flying tackle. Milestone unlocked. Then he tried the Proto-Bomb, but countered into the Anaconda Vice. Finally wrangles it. Milestone unlocked. But Punk kicks him in the face on the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Eventually, he overcomes more Punk offense to hit it, but Punk counters the FU. So he busts a powerbomb. He has to work heard to get the top rope rocker dropper by doing a test of strength on the the top rope. Then he hits the FU, but still not enough. I have to say along the way Cena's facial expression had been great conveying worry, exhaustion and stupor (especially after one of Punk's high-knees in the corner). I liked the use of the teased countout finish, G2S and then Punk busting out the piledriver after Cena's comeback because of how it made seemed like Cena's arsenal was tapped and now Punk was peaking at the right time. Before Cena pulls the out the mother of unforeseen moves: the Frankensteiner to setup the FU. The Frankensteiner was necessary to catch Punk unawares because Punk had been countering all his moves up to that point. In a non-kayfabe sense, they had built the match to such a fever pitch there was no way just a series of FU would feel satisfying.

Cena's extended comeback was one of the best in WWE history. Punk following each of his offensive moves/strikes gave that match its urgent feel. Most importantly, this match was the story of Cena earning every inch of this match to go to Wrestlemania. The Royal Rumble just felt ho-hum like "O Cena Won." This match Cena had to claw for everything and win this match. If his opponent was anyone but a gassed Rock, I would say I am amped for Wrestlemania, but now it will feel like a letdown knowing it will damn near impossible to top this spectacle. I am going to say and will argue for it, Match of the Year Candidate.

Holy shit, what an incredible match from Cena/Punk. I agree with Dylan this totally should have been the Wrestlemania. In a lot of ways, I feel this was the best 80s WWF match, only it happened in 2013. Punk did not really work a focused heat segment instead he was working on containing the awesome might of Cena. I dont know how many of you watched via Youtube, but you get what happened during the commercial breaks that way and the transition to Punk's dominance was an overhand right, which is such an 80s transition that Cena sold really well as a cheapshot. What I liked from Cena was every time he did break free from Punk, he would collect himself and pounce thus affirming Punk's fears of Cena's power. Punk was really good at capitalizing on his "big" little moves like a heel kick by immediately pinning Cena and then gaining head control. It displayed how much Punk wanted it.

What I loved the most about this match was it the story of Cena earning every single thing. My the biggest complaints of Cena that I know is how he just goes through the motions of his comeback and it is academic. This match was all about him overcoming that Punk knew it was coming. He missed the first flying tackle to the outside, which led to a Punk dive. Then he did the flying tackle. Milestone unlocked. Then he tried the Proto-Bomb, but countered into the Anaconda Vice. Finally wrangles it. Milestone unlocked. But Punk kicks him in the face on the Five Knuckle Shuffle. Eventually, he overcomes more Punk offense to hit it, but Punk counters the FU. So he busts a powerbomb. He has to work heard to get the top rope rocker dropper by doing a test of strength on the the top rope. Then he hits the FU, but still not enough. I have to say along the way Cena's facial expression had been great conveying worry, exhaustion and stupor (especially after one of Punk's high-knees in the corner). I liked the use of the teased countout finish, G2S and then Punk busting out the piledriver after Cena's comeback because of how it made seemed like Cena's arsenal was tapped and now Punk was peaking at the right time. Before Cena pulls the out the mother of unforeseen moves: the Frankensteiner to setup the FU. The Frankensteiner was necessary to catch Punk unawares because Punk had been countering all his moves up to that point. In a non-kayfabe sense, they had built the match to such a fever pitch there was no way just a series of FU would feel satisfying.

Cena's extended comeback was one of the best in WWE history. Punk following each of his offensive moves/strikes gave that match its urgent feel. Most importantly, this match was the story of Cena earning every inch of this match to go to Wrestlemania. The Royal Rumble just felt ho-hum like "O Cena Won." This match Cena had to claw for everything and win this match. If his opponent was anyone but a gassed Rock, I would say I am amped for Wrestlemania, but now it will feel like a letdown knowing it will damn near impossible to top this spectacle. I am going to say and will argue for it, Match of the Year Candidate.

Great review. I love how a theme in their matches are how well they know each others shit, to the point where down the home stretch when shit gets desperate, they bust out crazy random moves to throw each other off guard. I lost my shit on the piledriver, and the crowd audibly gasping was amazing. the Rana -> AA was one of the best finishes I've seen in a while.

Great review. I love how a theme in their matches are how well they know each others shit, to the point where down the home stretch when shit gets desperate, they bust out crazy random moves to throw each other off guard. I lost my shit on the piledriver, and the crowd audibly gasping was amazing. the Rana -> AA was one of the best finishes I've seen in a while.

Yeah just watched the match on Youtube and it was fucking great. Cena's Batista-bomb was great(should be added to his arsenal; someone needs a straight Powerbomb as a finish, I think Henry should add one as his secondary finisher). And of course Punk's Paul Orndorff Piledriver was awesome(looked exactly like the one he hit on Hogan when he turned on him in '86), just folded him up perfectly. My 2 favorite moves in a perfectly done WWE Raw main event makes this your MOTY so far.

I agree that this exact(maybe add in another 10 minutes of new moves, some more submission work & a crazy table spot) match should have been the WrestleMania 29 main event but what are you going to do? Have Punk retain clean against Rock @ the Rumble to really give him that rub. Then you could have still done Trips/Brock & done Rock/Taker to boost up that buyrate. I just think doing all these part timers in big/title matches @ Mania just screams of WCW(like running Piper-Hogan @ Starrcade in '96, 10 years after they were close to full timers).

As it is now I DO want to see Trips/Brock II(that brawl sold me on it, also thought the 1st match was ****1/2), Rock/Cena II & the rumored Punk/Taker but as an overall picture how is Wrestlemania 31(?) Going to do with say, Cena/Cesaro, Bryan/Punk & Sheamus/Orton as main events(or something like that)? When Brock & Rock are gone, and Trips & Taker can't physically do it again. I guess there's still a possible "One Last Match" for Austin & HBK but don't count on it(wish HBK/Austin II would have gone down @ Mania 25 in Houston but it didn't).

Orton has been one of the guys they've fucked up during their "invasion". They attacked him in the ring and backstage and injured him. Storyline-wise, Orton has a score to settle. It's not like they just tossed him into the angle.

edit: Reading the SD spoilers, the idea of Show helping take out Shield down the line seems likely. And I dig that.