Current WWE

Smack2k

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i feel like you have more "thick/compact" guys in WWE these days than a few years ago, actually. thinking of the wyatt family, steen (yeah he's lost weight but still), rusev, et al. guys who would still get called fat by internet nerds even though they're clearly in shape, basically. i think mid-2000s joe wouldn't look out of place there anymore.

honestly that's a trend i really love, because those are the kinds of bodies you're more likely to see with actual strong dudes. the jacked-up six-pack look tends to be a sign of weakness if anything, due to the extreme dieting normally required to achieve that. now if only they would start applying that open-mindedness to the women...

EDIT: yep, similar points made above while i forgot to post this haha. we talked about corbin in another thread but i'm not going to assume he was a case of WWE forcing someone to get skinnier - football players who are that heavy usually want to lose weight themselves once their careers are over. there's "thick/compact" and then there's "heavy to the point of stressing your joints & bones".

Vince's head will explode if someone explains the millenial "body positive" concept to him.

I have no idea what this is about.

I would assume it's the idea that even people who are not the ideal body shape/size don't have to feel negative about their looks. I haven't heard it expressed as a millennial idea before, but Vince probably thinks anyone born after 1975 is in that group anyway.

1bfb22ecf9da00aef841bb84bd5a3bd8.jpg

Is Vince really so out of touch that he doesn't realize how this comes across to the average person?

I'm not as surprised by Vince's appearance (which was likely airbrushed a good deal - I mean, I'm not saying the dude isn't in great shape, but from what I know about magazine/commercial photography, if the public is seeing it, it's been touched up), as I am about the ridiculous word choice.

"Better than ever at 69"?

If I read the article, is that fact confirmed by Linda? If yes, I think I taste my lunch coming back up.

Meltzer absolutely BURIED this magazine cover the other day. Said Vince needs to grow up, reassess his priorities and called it sad and pathetic.

Funny hearing him get so worked up about it. It's that crazy bastard Vince - what can you do?

There is a big movement to recognize beauty in people that aren't conventionally attractive. The fat acceptance movement has also gathered some momentum. Any type of shaming is pretty frowned upon now. Lots of cultural changes happening.

Weird because a parallel anti-obesity campaign is occuring just as aggressively. People are getting told that fat is beautiful at the same time as being told that fat is unhealthy and killing them.

There is a big movement to recognize beauty in people that aren't conventionally attractive. The fat acceptance movement has also gathered some momentum. Any type of shaming is pretty frowned upon now. Lots of cultural changes happening.

Weird because a parallel anti-obesity campaign is occuring just as aggressively. People are getting told that fat is beautiful at the same time as being told that fat is unhealthy and killing them.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. By all means you can be proud and happy if you are overweight, but it doesn't mean you aren't going to take years off your life.

well the other part of this that barely gets any media play is that "fat and fit" is very much a real thing as well. society's definition of "athletic" is rather narrow, to the point that you'll see superheavyweight olympic lifters dismissed as "not REAL athletes" because they don't have abs or whatever.

mark rippetoe (famous weightlifting coach) has said a lot of interesting things about this, even if he can be an annoying jackass in other ways. there was a fascinating case where he took a skinny couch potato and trained him to the point where he could squat over 400 pounds. he published shirtless before & after pictures of the guy, and they showed someone growing a noticeable pot belly with no visible muscle definition anywhere...yet he was an infinitely better athlete in that "flabby" photo than he was in the "skinny" one. quite a clever inversion of the usual before-and-after fitness narrative, in my view!

many of the health issues commonly tied to being overweight are more likely the result of no exercise, eating lots of junk, and/or eating way too much even if it's "healthy" food (the sneakiest one). it is definitely possible to avoid all of those pitfalls and still be "chunky" or bigger. if you're eating 8000+ calories a day like NFL linemen or bull nakano during her wrestling career, then yeah you need to make some changes eventually...but it's ridiculous to assume that's everyone's situation.

that said, a case like big show would likely fall into the "legit health reasons" category. again, joints & bones...that's the main problem that you CAN directly tie to weight.

some stuff from PWI:

Bryan is facing either Sheamus or Ziggler at Mania

Sting will not be on Raw tonight

AJ is due back to TV very soon. And damn is this going to be awkward. I wonder if they have her involved with the Bellas or they do the long awaited Steph program for Mania? Either way I think a Steph/AJ feud is a lock for sometime this year. Although with the lawsuit how much "shoot" stuff will be allowed?

1bfb22ecf9da00aef841bb84bd5a3bd8.jpg

Is Vince really so out of touch that he doesn't realize how this comes across to the average person?

I'm not as surprised by Vince's appearance (which was likely airbrushed a good deal - I mean, I'm not saying the dude isn't in great shape, but from what I know about magazine/commercial photography, if the public is seeing it, it's been touched up), as I am about the ridiculous word choice.

"Better than ever at 69"?

If I read the article, is that fact confirmed by Linda? If yes, I think I taste my lunch coming back up.

Meltzer absolutely BURIED this magazine cover the other day. Said Vince needs to grow up, reassess his priorities and called it sad and pathetic.

Funny hearing him get so worked up about it. It's that crazy bastard Vince - what can you do?

Meltzer needs to be taken to task for his anti-steroid geriatric shaming.

Bryan on commentary, and participation in an angle on the show might be a better use of him at this point.

At this point tho, I think it's too late to salvage anything for WM. They missed the opportunity to use Bryan's heat constructively all year. What's left of it is being cooled down purposefully. It's business as usual again.

The two dozen or so friends who spent so much of the last two year rooting for Bryan have all moved on. Some to other wrestling, but most have returned to not caring or watching. Some we're even first time fans in their late 20's-early 30's. I had to remind the three or so who still keep tabs that Bryan was even wrestling last night. Kinda sad.

These are the people who brought me back. It was their unpretentious excitement over him that compelled me to check in again. I don't think any booking of Bryan is going to bring them back at this point.

Bryan made his promo work, and I liked Heyman's too. Bookended the idea that Reigns beat Bryan and won't beat Lesnar: wins and losses mattering. But they're laying it on thick with Roman. The less he's talked, the better's been - though I don't know if I want everyone else then doing his talking for him either.