Pro Wrestling Only

WrestleMania 32

TravJ1979

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you like WWE garbage matches you're in for a treat.

People should like them. It's the one thing they've consistently done well for like 20 years.

Agreed. If there's one thing they've been do well is garbage matches or at least most of the time they do. Plus Ambrose is excellent in them and Lesnar is pretty much excellent in any match type scenario, so this match should be great with MOTY candidate potential.

Any chance they just stick Rock in Romans corner? I could see the way WWE would see the logic in doing that, in theory Rocks popularity would rub off on Roman and help offset babyface pops for HHH.

But personally I think it's counterproductive. When they had Rock help out Roman in the Rumble last year it made Roman look like a kid who needed his big brother to help him win his fights. Rock is so far above that kind of stuff it just looks goofy.

The Rock was booed at the Royal Rumble for endorsing Reigns. He'll never do that again...at least not until they are confident Reigns would get good reactions consistebtly.

Speaking of the Rock, if the New Day doesn't have a high profile enough match at the show (meaning doing more than filling out the Battle Royal), I kinda wouldn't mind if New Day served as party hosts of the event.

If nothing else, this is poised to be one of the weirdest Manias ever.

In recent memory, you could call 28 pretty weird (bad Rock-Cena main, Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy, Maria Menounos wrestling, Sheamus-Bryan in eighteen seconds, Kane beating Orton).

22's fairly weird (Torrie-Candace pillow fight, HBK-Vince as a primer for what Taker-Shane could be, Edge-Foley having a really surprisingly violent hardcore match, Boogeyman-Booker, Rey's title win going nine minutes with Angle and Orton, Taker-Henry casket match).

20 is an interesting show in that it's just old enough that you see tons of people who are now still working every night for the company and shouldn't be, people who've died, people who aren't wrestling on TV when you wish they were, and the last real throes of WCW.

19 is kind of a way you could see Vince and HHH amicably booking the stupid shit they wanted while splitting the difference w/ what fans like. Hunter burying the rising babyface is fourth from the top. A McMahon (Vince) having a crazy, indulgent, violent brawl with a major star (Hogan) is third. But then you still have the surprisingly awesome Rock-Austin last hurrah as ceremonial end of the Attitude Era and Brock-Angle on as the 2003 blue chippers who'd earned the top spot.

18 is kind of cool and unique in the modern era in that it has twelve matches. Lots of them are six minutes or less, but it's still a Mania where they found room for Albert, 2002 Curt Hennig, Test, Scott Hall, Chuck Palumbo, and Jazz.

To say nothing of all the early ones.

The build is so odd. Ambrose has been the clear lead babyface for a few weeks now.

What was the lead-in to Wrestlemania VIII like? I honestly can't remember. But I can't think of a comparable to Roman in the title match at Wrestlemania but not being pushed as the lead babyface, other than possibly Flair/Savage and Sid/Hogan.

If Ambrose wins the title in Toronto and they make the Brock match the title match plus keep Hunter-roman that fixes some major Mania issues.

It only works if Roman costs Hunter the title.

THAT solves so many problems.

Roman would come off as hugely sympathetic, sacrificing his title shot so that his friend can go over and so that Hunter gets screwed just like he screwed Reigns in the past. Ambrose gets the rub but now has to deal with the drama of having to survive Brock to keep the title.

I agree with the above. Throw in some League of Nations interference in HHH's favour so Reign's has a reason to come out (and I imagine he'd get a big pop for the save, especially if people realise he's there to help Dean win) and have him cut a "It's not about the title, it's about kicking your ass" promo, and Mania looks way more interesting.

Regarding the plans for Hunter vs. Roman at Mania, I thought JR's pitch on his podcast with Madden recently sounded surprisingly decent.

For those that didn't listen, it involved Rock being in Reigns' corner again - with Vince standing in Hunter's corner for the big title match.

The big endgame is a double turn by the end of the night. To that end, McMahon eventually betrays Hunter. Reigns picks up the win and the title. Rocky comes in and questions Roman about his motives and actions. Roman lowers the boom on the Rock and hightails it out of there with the belt.

Vince sticks around for a moment to gloat, but Rocky recovers and gets his shit in. Rock Bottom. People's Elbow. Show closes with a (somewhat) upbeat scene.

The hook for RAW could be Vince's explanation. And I'd hope that they'd keep in relatively simple. Hunter is getting too big with his aspirations and plans to "push" Vince out of the picture. What's best for business is what Vince *decides* is best for business, etc.

Ultimately, I think it helps to prop up the Mania match itself. Hunter is sure to get the majority of the cheers anyhow. This plays directly into that. Rock could be there, enhancing the "in-between" moments with his facial expressions, his look of shock and awe anytime Roman does something dirty or heelish, etc. I really think THAT aspect of having Rocky react on the outside would be tremendous.

And then you've got a truckload of fun with Vince hamming it up on the other side.

It'd probably take a lot of convincing and explaining to get Rock on board at this point, but I don't know that he'd be totally opposed to participate in something that SHOULD - in theory - strike him as familiar territory. It keeps him firmly positioned as the babyface (and in a favorable light) by the end of the night, unlike that dismal debacle at the Rumble.

It's not exactly my favorite option, but - from those that have been presented and put forth for consideration - it's not all that bad.

I know they don't want to go there because of the Cena model and digging in their heels, but it seems like a no brainer to give Reigns a heel run before positioning him as ace babyface. Will grow as a performer, recondition the audience and is a path that many have followed to success.

If Ambrose wins the title in Toronto and they make the Brock match the title match plus keep Hunter-roman that fixes some major Mania issues.

That what I proposed on Twitter. Then turn Reigns heel after Ambrose beats Brock. Have Reigns tell Ambrose he stole his destiny . After Reigns turns on Dean he cuts a promo about last year Seth stole his destiny to be World Champion, and this year you did. You guys were supposed to have been my friends. This justifies his heel turn.

I know they don't want to go there because of the Cena model and digging in their heels, but it seems like a no brainer to give Reigns a heel run before positioning him as ace babyface. Will grow as a performer, recondition the audience and is a path that many have followed to success.

I think they feel like they already did when he was in The Shield.

I think they feel like they already did when he was in The Shield.

Yeah? Rock was a lot more over in The Nation than Reigns ever was in The Shield, and they gave him more than a courtesy heel singles run. Not comparing the 2 for many reasons, but relying on the group run to that extent seems like one hell of a shortcut in thinking on their part.

That what I proposed on Twitter. Then turn Reigns heel after Ambrose beats Brock. Have Reigns tell Ambrose he stole his destiny . After Reigns turns on Dean he cuts a promo about last year Seth stole his destiny to be World Champion, and this year you did. You guys were supposed to have been my friends. This justifies his heel turn.

Yeah, that's perfect. A simple easy fix that makes Mania so much better.

I think I prefer Scott Hall's idea of having Shawn Michaels in Triple H's corner, the Rock in Reigns's and Daniel Bryan as special ref. So basically they would accomplish:

1. Enough intrigue in the actual match and where it ends up

2. You get Shawn and Rock interacting which is very rare in WWE storylines

3. You have a potential for an altercation between Triple H and the Rock

4. Roman Reigns would not be expected to sell the match on his own

5. Fans gets to see Daniel Bryan in a somewhat meaningful role at Wrestlemania and possibly finally closing the book on Triple H vs Daniel Bryan's storyline.