Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: Dallas

Ricky Jackson

I watched Devitt-Joe after seeing a GIF of a bloody Joe that looked really cool.

The first few minutes were really great and made me want to watch pro wrestling. When Joe realised he was bloodied up it was like a switch went off and everything Hashimoto taught him came back to him and he started ragdolling Devitt and it was just the best. And then they just. Kind of went back to the match they would've had. And. I'm over it. I'm not crazy over actual puro in 2016, let alone cosplay puro. They really should have called an audible and just brawled all over the place. The counter spots were fine for what they are, and even if I completely disagree with its use you can excuse the no-selling and the finish. It just didn't really matter to me by that point. I'm probably gonna watch some Sangre Chicana now. I want to see a crazy bloody brawl, not a match where they tease you with it and then retract to doing the kind of match I didn't want to watch in the first place.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Devitt-Joe after seeing a GIF of a bloody Joe that looked really cool.

The first few minutes were really great and made me want to watch pro wrestling. When Joe realised he was bloodied up it was like a switch went off and everything Hashimoto taught him came back to him and he started ragdolling Devitt and it was just the best. And then they just. Kind of went back to the match they would've had. And. I'm over it. I'm not crazy over actual puro in 2016, let alone cosplay puro. They really should have called an audible and just brawled all over the place. The counter spots were fine for what they are, and even if I completely disagree with its use you can excuse the no-selling and the finish. It just didn't really matter to me by that point. I'm probably gonna watch some Sangre Chicana now. I want to see a crazy bloody brawl, not a match where they tease you with it and then retract to doing the kind of match I didn't want to watch in the first place.

My feeling throughout was that Balor was trying to get back to a script and to his rehearsed spots.

Best wrestling ppv ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Spring Stampede '94 says, "Let's not get carried away."

Hmmm....

Zayn-Naka > Nasty Tag

Asuka-Bayley > Flair-Steamboat

Joe-Balor > Vader-Boss

NXT Tag > Buck-Dustin

AA-Balor > Rude-Sting

Then SS94 has other matches not as good... how is NXT show not better?

No way was that tag better than Buck vs Dustin. Get the fuck outta here.

Best wrestling ppv ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Spring Stampede '94 says, "Let's not get carried away."

Hmmm....

Zayn-Naka > Nasty Tag

Asuka-Bayley > Flair-Steamboat

Joe-Balor > Vader-Boss

NXT Tag > Buck-Dustin

AA-Balor > Rude-Sting

Then SS94 has other matches not as good... how is NXT show not better?

No way was that tag better than Buck vs Dustin. Get the fuck outta here.

So.. the 4th best match on SS is better than the 4th best match on NXT? Ok... still, my point stands.

Asuka vs. Bayley

And now Bayley is actually in tears, am I happy? You bet I am, ha ha. Heels 4 life.

Kinda hate to burst your bubble, especially as you enjoyed the show, but Asulka isn't a heel. She's been portrayed as a face her entire NXT tenure and was only in the title match after helping Bayley beat the two biggest heels in the women's division in a tag match. She's not as overwhelmingly virtuous as Bayley, but she's still a face

Asuka vs. Bayley

And now Bayley is actually in tears, am I happy? You bet I am, ha ha. Heels 4 life.

Kinda hate to burst your bubble, especially as you enjoyed the show, but Asulka isn't a heel. She's been portrayed as a face her entire NXT tenure and was only in the title match after helping Bayley beat the two biggest heels in the women's division in a tag match. She's not as overwhelmingly virtuous as Bayley, but she's still a face

Well the crowd made her a heel that night.

It was shock

I think there was some shock but the crowd was actually not fully engaged in the match in any meaningful way. They were at peak smarkiness during that match trying to get themselves over and I think the shock at the finish was 50% that Bayley lost and 50% that the match ended while they weren't paying attention. It was a bit like the Lesnar/Taker WM30 finish in that respect.

It was shock

Shock because it didn't feel like the finish, rather than at the result.

No, that was at the result I feel. That crowd LOVES Bayley. Her losing the title was a pretty big deal.

Exactly. It was because they cared

should have read the rest of the thread and replied later, but I'll reiterate. If they cared so much then why were they all sitting when the finish came? I totally agree with the guy who said that the shock was at least in part b/c that didn't feel like the finish. And IMO it's not because the work didn't make it feel like a finish but because the crowd was inexplicably not treating it like a finishing stretch.

I still have the main event to watch but Zayn/Nakamura and Bayley/Asuka has to be the best back to back run in the history of WWF/E/NXT. That being said, they really should have put Aries/Corbin in between the two because that match would have been a good way to recharge the crowd. The women's title match was worked different from the previous match, more submission based with a really unpredictable back and forth. Plus you had back to back face vs. face matches which is tough to pull off in front of a WWE crowd, even if NXT fans are 'smart'.

It was shock

No, that was at the result I feel. That crowd LOVES Bayley. Her losing the title was a pretty big deal.

should have read the rest of the thread and replied later, but I'll reiterate. If they cared so much then why were they all sitting when the finish came? I totally agree with the guy who said that the shock was at least in part b/c that didn't feel like the finish. And IMO it's not because the work didn't make it feel like a finish but because the crowd was inexplicably not treating it like a finishing stretch.

No one was expecting Bayley to lose by submission, either by tap or pass out. My impression was they got a little to cute and decided to copy the Meisha-Holly finish and no one picked up on it. I know when the bell rang my reaction was of the "wait, what just happened" variety, I thought for a second maybe the timekeeper messed up.

It was shock

No one was expecting Bayley to lose by submission, either by tap or pass out. My impression was they got a little to cute and decided to copy the Meisha-Holly finish and no one picked up on it. I know when the bell rang my reaction was of the "wait, what just happened" variety, I thought for a second maybe the timekeeper messed up.

It's one of the reasons why I think wrestling shouldn't try to look too much towards MMA for inspiration. The Miesha-Holly finish was legit great stuff, but WWE went too long with it, and in wrestling, when you have a babyface trying to get up right before they are choked out, and the ref has stopped himself from calling for the bell 3 times, then you kind of have to break free from the hold and pay off the spot. It makes logical sense within the pro wrestling rules.

I also hated it when they were trying the "ref stops the bout despte there being no pinfall; winner by tko!" that they were doing a few years back.

The "This is awesome" chant during Bayley v Asuka was half-assed because the crowd tired themselves out, the match was layed out good on paper but Bayley never lays her shit in and that takes me out of the match and that show was not better than Mania X-7, Canadian Stampede, or One Night Stand.

It was shock

I think it didn't help that it missed a few visual clues that we've become accustomed to as fans. Normally you get a tap out or the referee doing the three-arm-drop, so the fans are expecting a bell, but here there was nothing. Bayley's arm slumped to the mat, but that won't play to someone 5-10 rows back. I think the ref trying the arm three times would have signalled to the crowd that they needed to react.

I've always liked Aries as a face, especially in TNA. My favorite run of his was his TNA return in 2011 as a heel in to turning face and winning the world title in 2012. He did some of his best heel work then in the X Division but kept having such great matches with all kinds of opponents that he just naturally turned face with the crowd's growing support. Then the title win felt like a genuine star making moment at the time and his match with Roode remains one of my top favorites. He was a fantastic face in that series as well as his matches leading up to that with Joe and Bully Ray. I think Aries/Corbin was a solid start for him here and look forward to what he does next.

I still have no coherent words to express how I felt about Takeover Dallas, except for this one thought.

My mother is who I watch wrestling with, but she is a straight up WWE fan who is happy to stick to the main shows and has absolutely no smark in her. So I watch non-WWE wrestling without her, and that includes NXT Takeovers because they're not aired on TV here and she's not that invested in NXT.

Every so often I watch something and wish my mother had watched it with me. Particularly good Takeover stuff because that's at least WWE presentation that she's familiar with, and like damn, she'd have loved, say, Bayley's title win. But then I exhale that thought because she's happy watching whatever's on telly and isn't drawn to the idea of "great matches" the way we are, so I just tell her Bayley won and it was awesome and leave it at that.

However...for the first time ever, sometime in the next day or so I am going to sit her down, put on Takeover Dallas and make her watch Sami vs Nakamura. Mum asked me how NXT was and when I got to that match I was so overwhelmed with the idea that she needed to watch it and see it and love it and get it like I did. So for the first time I'm going to push a match on her. I just so dearly want her to "get" Shinsuke.

In other words, Sami vs Nakamura was incredible and awesome and life changing and mold breaking and Shinsuke is the best and FIGHT FOREVER and I can't stop fucking listening to his theme tune.

I believe this was only mentioned once or twice in this thread, but its definitely worth repeating as I have been watching this show in pieces since it first aired, and that is the commentary on the show. From start-to-finish Todd Phillips and Corey Graves ADDED to the show. I think Corey Graves is the best commentator in WWE. The guy has passion, knowledge, knows when to get smarky but not take it overboard like Mike Striker (who I also love). Never liked Graves the wrestler, but as a TV personality and talker- he is great. I hope he continues doing what he is currently doing, because its working. I can only imagine the cringe-worthiness of Lawler, Cole, JBL, and Saxton messing up a good show like this by being complete idiots in the booth.

So yes! Big kudos to Graves and Phillips.