Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I tried the search engine to check if it's been asked before, but what was the deal with Bret Hart's trolling of El Dandy in WCW? Did Bret just consider Dandy a jobber in WCW and ignorant of the history in CMLL? Was he friends with El Dandy and it was a rib? There wasn't any intention of a match and it seemed totally random.

I didn't realize Dandy was a star until much later in my fandom, and Bret definitely didn't help that perception at the time. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I mean, Dandy was a jobber in WCW. There wasn't anything more to it than a cowardly heel building up a much lower ranked opponent as a challenger because he wanted to avoid a real challenge. I remember Dandy favoriting a bunch of Bret matches on his YouTube channel when I came across it a while back, so there were evidently no hard feelings over the promo.

To a lot of NA fans it made El Dandy a punchline. Sean Ross Sapp could barely contain himself saying Dandy's name. Bret gives token respect to the undercard guys, but I doubt he's watched a minute of any El Dandy classic. I think it was a case on my part of being a teenage fan and not knowing much lucha lore. Kinda like growing up, I didn't know Larry Zbyszko was a bigger deal at one time, I thought he was just an old jobber. Now I see him as one of the all-time great heels.

I think you can almost guarantee that Bret has never watched a second of El Dandy footage, but it was a great promo, and let's face it, for most WCW fans a job guy calling themselves "El Dandy" was amusing. The segment of NA fans who still think Dandy is a punchline are the same folks who listen to podcast reviews of old WWF & WCW pay-per-views and never expanded their interests in wrestling beyond the stuff they grew up on. I don't think it's really in Bret's character to make fun of job guys. I think he is legit when he says he had a lot of respect for those guys. I doubt he has much time for lucha, but I believe him when he says there was a kernel of truth to the promo he cut. 

The Larry Z thing is unavoidable. You  don't know what you don't know. Larry's biggest success was in the WWF and AWA, and they weren't about to mention that on WCW TV every time he appeared. Instead, he was that living legend commentary guy, who was kind of annoying and feuded with Bischoff. What people didn't realize at the time was that he had an all-time great feud with Regal in '94. That was what was truly overlooked. 

Bret's explanation of the promo makes sense to me. He did seem aware of the situation with WCW's glass ceiling and did what he could to help Booker and Benoit get over. Not much of a stretch that that would extend to an admiration for the undercard lucha guys who always tried to put on a good show with the 3 minutes they got whilst being treated like a joke.

A couple of things:

1. Bret's Dandy promo came and went at the time without much fanfare. It wasn't until years later that it became a "meme" of sorts.

2. Let's face it: El Dandy would be completely unknown and forgotten in the United States if not for Bret's promo. Obviously I don't mean forgotten by hardcore American fans of lucha, PWO users, etc. I'm referring to the other 99% of fans. Whether that's fair or unfair, that's the reality.

15 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

What people didn't realize at the time was that [Larry] had an all-time great feud with Regal in '94. That was what was truly overlooked. 

That was an all-timer. I loved Regal and hated Larry, but based on the sheer strength of their face and heel work, that feud had me rooting for Larry.

Larry and Tony Schiovane briefly discuss the Shea Stadium match at the first Slamboree during that shows infamous cage match.

I saw a thing with Bret more recently giving Rey Mysterio his props, to the point which he said he regretted not working with him in WCW. He seems to have aged out of some his more ignorant views he expressed when he was younger and in his book, thankfully.

"Who are you to doubt El Dandy?" is one of the first pro wrestling memes I came across back when I started using message boards to get my Perfectly Legal No Mercy game some mods. If all that niche internet notoriety translated into Dandy being able to sell more merch and signings and what not, it makes perfect sense he would be cool with that. 

1 hour ago, Kadaveri said:

Hulk Hogan has upped the ante on his wrestling in Wembley Stadium story, now the kid died in the stadium and Hogan was the one who alerted everyone due to literally smelling there was something wrong.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1694680957247246458

Terry cannot be topped.  The GOAT bullshitter.

Okay, so I was looking into signing Dan Spivey as part of the 1996 project that is happening in armchair booking. Looking into Spivey, I discovered that Dan retired in 1995 and only wrestled one more match in 2015 as part of a Funk Conservatory show. When researching Spivey, I have to ask about this:

Per Wiki - "Spivey retired in 1995 due to injuries. After retiring, Spivey briefly attempted to forge a career as a fashion model."

Fashion model? Spivey? :huh: Are we talking about the catwalk in Milan or what exactly is that referring to? Sears ads? Very amused and wondering about what the story is.

Hi all, couple questions...

1. Does anyone know where I can buy a BattleArts best of ? I've never seen this fed before and I'm a huge fan of all things shoot style so I was looking for a big dvd where I can get a nice understanding of the promotion.

2. Does a website that sells complete career history of wrestlers still exist? I remember around ten years ago, I purchased a 24 DVD box set of Kiyoshi Tamura's complete career from some website. Again, mostly looking for guys like KENTA 2002-2008, Takada, Maeda, Fujiwara, etc..

3. Who would you say are the best shoot style wrestlers in non shoot promotions? For example; Mochizuki in Toryumon, etc. Looking to get into pro wrestling (part time) after I get my BJJ black belt so looking to study some guys.